Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/do-you-live-the-jimmy-buffet-lifestyle-205927.html)

barnakiel 15-08-2018 10:49

Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

I live in a boat. I sail some. I party some.

I try not to get up before noon. I try not to hate those who do.

I like to watch young and healthy people sailing, dancing, enjoying life. I like to know some of them are nearly 50 years old.

My partner has amazing body. My boat has old sails. I would hate it to be otherwise.

I do believe in everybody do your own thing thing. Be it drinking rum, being an island goat, or coding, or watching Netflix from the couch.

Live and let live. Enjoy life. Celebrate a bit. Work a bit.

To work off my ass so that my kids have a better life? No, thanks. No kids, either.

Cheers,
b.

four winds 15-08-2018 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Group9 (Post 2696913)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbiUfJJH...=mv_hye_won_ii
One of our favorite stops.

(And, Jimmy's old college room mate lives not too far from PCYC. One of the reasons, you see him around there from time to time.)

Me, tied up there in 1987. :biggrin:

Yep, that's the place. Dock looks the same, except has power pedestals now.

If you were standing in that spot today, I could hand you a beer from the bow of my boat.

LEOCAT66 15-08-2018 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by four winds (Post 2696888)
I'm in a slip at Pirates Cove now. First time at a dock in three years.

They do have good cheeseburgers. Also installed a huge new pizza oven last winter during a kitchen refit. The pizza is very good.

Everyone hopes the Cove never changes, and they have no intentions to do so. The place looks the same as it did decades ago. Almost everyone here is a active sailor and are very welcoming to all who come by.

Great place for people to bring their dogs. They are numerous and have the run of the place.

Sadly, Paul senior passed several years back, sons Paul and Carl run the place, and cook all the burgers. It's what they do. Mom, Miss Ilene, is still around and keeping everybody straight.

JB's sister owns Lulu's restaurant a few miles west in Gulf Shores. Jimmy is seen there from time to time, but hasn't been here in many years, or no one mentions it.

As they say here, "Long live Pirates Cove".

We knew Paul Sr. quite well, going back to the 80's. We talk to Carl occasionally and are friends with Rick also.

Sir, you have found Paradise, but you know what happens when you call some place Paradise. (EAGLES) We were in a slip there back in 2014 and 2015. Truly a wonderful place, we also take our dogs.

belizesailor 15-08-2018 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEOCAT66 (Post 2696862)
For Many, Many Years, My wife and I were serious PARROT HEADS. We have every CD, every DVD, every Book which he has out there, and have attended many of his concerts, if they were reasonably close to home. We typically hang out at LuLu's, in Gulf Shores, and Pirates Cove in Elberta, AL., about which he apparently wrote "CHEESEBURGER IN PARADISE", according to many Buffett experts. We went to Key West just to see and take photos of houses where he had lived in his early years, and places where he began his playing, such as Captain Tony's Saloon, and Louie's Backyard.

He truly has some great music out there, especially the older stuff, from the heart, when he was actually a real sailor.

Recently, we and he have parted ways with his recent views and neither of us still consider ourselves Buffett fans. He has lost his way, and us along the way.

There are many places that claim or are rumored to have been the inspiration for " Cheeseburger in Paradise", and likely many were, but only one holds the actual liscene to the name...granted to them by JB himself.

Hint: it aint in Alabama.

LEOCAT66 15-08-2018 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by four winds (Post 2696888)
I'm in a slip at Pirates Cove now. First time at a dock in three years.

They do have good cheeseburgers. Also installed a huge new pizza oven last winter during a kitchen refit. The pizza is very good.

Everyone hopes the Cove never changes, and they have no intentions to do so. The place looks the same as it did decades ago. Almost everyone here is a active sailor and are very welcoming to all who come by.

Great place for people to bring their dogs. They are numerous and have the run of the place.

Sadly, Paul senior passed several years back, sons Paul and Carl run the place, and cook all the burgers. It's what they do. Mom, Miss Ilene, is still around and keeping everybody straight.

JB's sister owns Lulu's restaurant a few miles west in Gulf Shores. Jimmy is seen there from time to time, but hasn't been here in many years, or no one mentions it.

As they say here, "Long live Pirates Cove".

We knew Paul Sr. quite well and also occasionally see Carl and Paul Jr. We were last there by boat in 2014 and 15. Truly paradise to us.

four winds 15-08-2018 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by belizesailor (Post 2696954)
There are many places that claim or are rumored to have been the inspiration for " Cheeseburger in Paradise", and likely many were, but only one holds the actual liscene to the name...granted to them by JB himself.

So there is an official location that is the source?

But as I mentioned, no one around here claims it's here that's the source.

Sometimes a tourist will ask, and the response is a shrug of the shoulders and a "beats me, who knows".

Group9 15-08-2018 12:08

Quote:

I know Cabbage Key claims that, but like you say, I've heard a bunch of places make the same claim. About every third bar serving hamburgers south of Miami does. Since Buffett has apparently given several different versions of where the inspiration came from, I guess it will remain one of life's gastronomical mysteries!

belizesailor 15-08-2018 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Group9 (Post 2696969)
I know Cabbage Key claims that, but like you say, I've heard a bunch of places make the same claim. About every third bar serving hamburgers south of Miami does. Since Buffett has apparently given several different versions of where the inspiration came from, I guess it will remain one of life's gastronomical mysteries!

Yes, Cabbage Key is another great venue that is rumored to be the inspiration. First time I sailed there, I was really looking forward to a good Cheeseburger in Paradise. We arrived in time for lunch. Lots of tourists were there, but we went ashore anyway..what a dissapointment, the burger was lame. Went back again on another trip and went ashore for dinner. Ordered a CB...it was awesome! And the vibe at night is totally different...mostly just owners...very cool place at night.

Learned that they just churn out junk food for tourists during the day and the good stuff at night.

But alas, Cabbage Key is not the answer either...in fact its not in the USA.

zboss 15-08-2018 12:50

You guys are harsh. I am a Parrot Head. I sometimes fly my Jimmy Buffet flag and my pirate flags just because I can. I'm not a drunk and most of the Parrot Heads I know are not either - alcoholism in parrot land isn't any more prevalent than the normal population. As far categorizing all Parrotheads as those who move to Florida and live on tarp covered boats, this is also untrue. In fact, you will find that most of those that live that way have a listen to other types of music. As far as being from "another generation" - you better go to an actual concert and see for yourself - also wrong.

Its true that most parrotheads are not sailors but not all of the "JB lifestyle" is about sailing. As far as how much time JB spends in Florida or not I cannot say since I am not privy to his schedule but I suspect that when you are running multiple large companies (and touring almost non-stop for 50 years) that you probably don't get to spend as much time at home as you would like.

Does he live like a bum? No and if I were worth half-a-billion I wouldn't either. Like most successful people he had to work his way into those millions and at one time or another was poor like the rest of us. So part of the "jimmy buffet lifestyle" is based around success while you try to remain laid back. Apparently something that many people on this board are unable to do. Live and let live.

Sounds to me like you have ya'll panties in a twist - I'd like to hear how you categorize or not categorize yourselves or maybe you are in the "I not categorizable" group. Good for you I'll put you in the "doesn't know oneself" category.

As far as the cheeseburger in paradise... here is a quote directly from JB himself:

"The myth of the cheeseburger in paradise goes back to a long trip on my first boat, the Euphoria. We had run into some very rough weather crossing the Mona Passage between Hispanola and Puerto Rico, and broke our new bowsprit. The ice in our box had melted, and we were doing the canned-food-and-peanut-butter diet. The vision of a piping hot cheeseburger kept popping into my mind. We limped up the Sir Francis Drake Channel and into Roadtown on the island of Tortola, where a brand new marina and bar sat on the end of the dock like a mirage. We secured the boat, kissed the ground, and headed for the restaurant. To our amazement, we were offered a menu that featured an American cheeseburger and pina coladas. Now, these were the days when supplies were scarce - when horsemeat was more plentiful than ground beef in the tiny stores of the Third World. Anyway, we gave particular instructions to the waiter on how we wanted them cooked, and what we wanted on them - to which very little attention was paid. It didn't matter. The overdone burgers on the burned, toast buns tasted like manna from Heaven, for, they were the realization of my fantasy burgers on the trip. That's the true story. I've heard other people and places claim that I stopped or cooked in their restaurants, but that is the way it happened."

four winds 15-08-2018 13:02

But alas, I never bothered googling it. Cause I don't really care. Though find it interesting it was actually not a good cheeseburger.

Buffett said of this song: "The myth of the cheeseburger in paradise goes back to a long trip on my first boat, the Euphoria. We had run into some very rough weather crossing the Mona Passage between Hispanola and Puerto Rico, and broke our new bowsprit. The ice in our box had melted, and we were doing the canned-food-and-peanut-butter diet. The vision of a piping hot cheeseburger kept popping into my mind.

We limped up the Sir Francis Drake Channel and into Roadtown on the island of Tortola, where a brand new marina and bar sat on the end of the dock like a mirage. We secured the boat, kissed the ground, and headed for the restaurant. To our amazement, we were offered a menu that featured an American cheeseburger and piña coladas. Now, these were the days when supplies were scarce - when horsemeat was more plentiful than ground beef in the tiny stores of the Third World.

Anyway, we gave particular instructions to the waiter on how we wanted them cooked, and what we wanted on them - to which very little attention was paid. It didn't matter. The overdone burgers on the burned, toast buns tasted like manna from Heaven, for, they were the realization of my fantasy burgers on the trip. That's the true story. I've heard other people and places claim that I stopped or cooked in their restaurants, but that is the way it happened."

LEOCAT66 15-08-2018 13:22

Quote:

It may not be Pirates Cove, but their burgers will hold their own against all comers.

Not a tourist place at all, as it is way off of the tourist path. Most there are locals, and most come by boats of all type. Weekends are balls to the wall busy, but week days are really layback and slow. They have a neat web site too.

belizesailor 15-08-2018 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by zboss (Post 2696985)
You guys are harsh. I am a Parrot Head. I sometimes fly my Jimmy Buffet flag and my pirate flags just because I can. I'm not a drunk and most of the Parrot Heads I know are not either - alcoholism in parrot land isn't any more prevalent than the normal population. As far categorizing all Parrotheads as those who move to Florida and live on tarp covered boats, this is also untrue. In fact, you will find that most of those that live that way have a listen to other types of music. As far as being from "another generation" - you better go to an actual concert and see for yourself - also wrong.

Its true that most parrotheads are not sailors but not all of the "JB lifestyle" is about sailing. As far as how much time JB spends in Florida or not I cannot say since I am not privy to his schedule but I suspect that when you are running multiple large companies (and touring almost non-stop for 50 years) that you probably don't get to spend as much time at home as you would like.

Does he live like a bum? No and if I were worth half-a-billion I wouldn't either. Like most successful people he had to work his way into those millions and at one time or another was poor like the rest of us. So part of the "jimmy buffet lifestyle" is based around success while you try to remain laid back. Apparently something that many people on this board are unable to do. Live and let live.

Sounds to me like you have ya'll panties in a twist - I'd like to hear how you categorize or not categorize yourselves or maybe you are in the "I not categorizable" group. Good for you I'll put you in the "doesn't know oneself" category.

As far as the cheeseburger in paradise... here is a quote directly from JB himself:

"The myth of the cheeseburger in paradise goes back to a long trip on my first boat, the Euphoria. We had run into some very rough weather crossing the Mona Passage between Hispanola and Puerto Rico, and broke our new bowsprit. The ice in our box had melted, and we were doing the canned-food-and-peanut-butter diet. The vision of a piping hot cheeseburger kept popping into my mind. We limped up the Sir Francis Drake Channel and into Roadtown on the island of Tortola, where a brand new marina and bar sat on the end of the dock like a mirage. We secured the boat, kissed the ground, and headed for the restaurant. To our amazement, we were offered a menu that featured an American cheeseburger and pina coladas. Now, these were the days when supplies were scarce - when horsemeat was more plentiful than ground beef in the tiny stores of the Third World. Anyway, we gave particular instructions to the waiter on how we wanted them cooked, and what we wanted on them - to which very little attention was paid. It didn't matter. The overdone burgers on the burned, toast buns tasted like manna from Heaven, for, they were the realization of my fantasy burgers on the trip. That's the true story. I've heard other people and places claim that I stopped or cooked in their restaurants, but that is the way it happened."

Ding, ding, ding...thats the most widely circulated one...but wait a minute...Buffet himself also tells several versions of this story involving different places...more semi true stories? 🤣

bobnlesley 15-08-2018 13:45

I find some of JB's stuff entertaining in small doses and I've enjoyed several of the books he's written too, but if you're looking for a truer insight into the Cruisers lifestyle through music, then search out Eileen Quinn's music instead

sailorboy1 15-08-2018 13:49

I think some need to relax and have some fun, embrace the lifestyle, and stop getting it all fixed up with a real person.

Cyrus Safdari 15-08-2018 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by zboss (Post 2696985)
As far categorizing all Parrotheads as those who move to Florida and live on tarp covered boats, this is also untrue.

Mental note: strike the rum and tarp from the "to get" list

Darn.

How about loud Hawaiian shirts? Those are still OK right?

cc1842 15-08-2018 14:59

Jimmy has given a lot of us a dream. I own a boat and realize it is work and worry. Jimmy gave me a vision of peace and a pretty sunset and piece of mind. It does not have to be in an exotic place or with out work. it is just that wonderful relaxed feeling when the day is closing, you smell the salt air and you are in a safe anchorage, pour a drink, water or whatever and realize you are blessed!!! Thank you Jimmy!!!!

SqPeg 15-08-2018 15:31

Don't have that kind of $$$.

nwdiver 15-08-2018 15:32

HTML Code:

u
Quote:

Originally Posted by a64pilot (Post 2696320)

Now if I were to want to emulate someone that is associated with that area of the World, I’d rater pick Hemingway

Yeh, except for the ending......

CarinaPDX 15-08-2018 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrus Safdari (Post 2697024)
Mental note: strike the rum and tarp from the "to get" list

Darn.

How about loud Hawaiian shirts? Those are still OK right?

NOOoo... Strike the tarp, yes, but not the rum! And Hawaiian shirts are OK by me. But then again I like listening to his music.

And I still want to know where that "one particular harbor" is.

Greg

a64pilot 15-08-2018 16:11

Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

I’d even say I admire to some extent how Hemingway went.
I wouldn’t pick such a violent way myself, but I think it takes a brave person to decide when they have had enough and decide to leave if you will.
I don’t see any need in going through the whole rot to death in bed, making a mess on yourself, pain, loss of dignity etc.
The things we make people go through sometimes isn’t civilized. We wouldn’t do that to a dog, yet we do to people.

With him it almost seemed to be a family tradition, I think his Father, Brother and Sister did the same?

Plus I think he was ill, exactly how bad etc., I have no idea.

Just think about this for a second, just say for example I am diagnosed with Cancer, I fight it, but as often happens the Cancer eventually gets to the point to where there is no hope, I will continue to degrade, in pain and suffer, going through whatever savings I have and planned on to support my family with, I will feel shame and my loved ones will witness me going though something terrible and it will adversely affect them for life.

Or while I am still in charge of my physical abilities, I can make sure my affairs are in order and quietly slip away.

Which is more civilized?

CarinaPDX 15-08-2018 16:18

@a64pilot: Then push your state for a death-with-dignity law. No need to scatter your brains and blood all over for some poor soul to clean up. If the day ever comes for you, and I certainly hope it doesn't, then come to Oregon - a very civilized place.

Greg

Cyrus Safdari 15-08-2018 16:18

I try to live a Jimmy Buffet lifestyle but somehow end up living the Capt Ron lifestyle instead...

Saleen411 15-08-2018 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by a64pilot (Post 2697101)
I’d even say I admire to some extent how Hemingway went.
I wouldn’t pick such a violent way myself, but I think it takes a brave person to decide when they have had enough and decide to leave if you will.
I don’t see any need in going through the whole rot to death in bed, making a mess on yourself, pain, loss of dignity etc.
The things we make people go through sometimes isn’t civilized. We wouldn’t do that to a dog, yet we do to people.

With him it almost seemed to be a family tradition, I think his Father, Brother and Sister did the same?

Plus I think he was ill, exactly how bad etc., I have no idea.

Just think about this for a second, just say for example I am diagnosed with Cancer, I fight it, but as often happens the Cancer eventually gets to the point to where there is no hope, I will continue to degrade, in pain and suffer, going through whatever savings I have and planned on to support my family with, I will feel shame and my loved ones will witness me going though something terrible and it will adversely affect them for life.

Or while I am still in charge of my physical abilities, I can make sure my affairs are in order and quietly slip away.

Which is more civilized?

I happen to agree with you completely HOWEVER.....

"What would Jimmy Buffet do?":jump: 2:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJdBeIcngP8

thomm225 15-08-2018 16:23

The Jimmy Buffet thing was more 70's - 90's

Pirates Cove has been duplicated so many times that today it's just another theme bar.

Many today wouldn't even know what half his song were about. Luckily for me though I got to sail on the Gulf Coast in the 1990's

Pirates Cove is on the ICW sort of secluded where there isn't much going on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXQS4S3vgGA

belizesailor 15-08-2018 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by four winds (Post 2696996)
But alas, I never bothered googling it. Cause I don't really care. Though find it interesting it was actually not a good cheeseburger.

Buffett said of this song: "The myth of the cheeseburger in paradise goes back to a long trip on my first boat, the Euphoria. We had run into some very rough weather crossing the Mona Passage between Hispanola and Puerto Rico, and broke our new bowsprit. The ice in our box had melted, and we were doing the canned-food-and-peanut-butter diet. The vision of a piping hot cheeseburger kept popping into my mind.

We limped up the Sir Francis Drake Channel and into Roadtown on the island of Tortola, where a brand new marina and bar sat on the end of the dock like a mirage. We secured the boat, kissed the ground, and headed for the restaurant. To our amazement, we were offered a menu that featured an American cheeseburger and piña coladas. Now, these were the days when supplies were scarce - when horsemeat was more plentiful than ground beef in the tiny stores of the Third World.

Anyway, we gave particular instructions to the waiter on how we wanted them cooked, and what we wanted on them - to which very little attention was paid. It didn't matter. The overdone burgers on the burned, toast buns tasted like manna from Heaven, for, they were the realization of my fantasy burgers on the trip. That's the true story. I've heard other people and places claim that I stopped or cooked in their restaurants, but that is the way it happened."

...and to finish that story...ulitmately Cheese Burger in Paradise was commercialized:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chee...se_(restaurant)

....and Buffet was ultimaty bought out.

Not bad ROI for a song about a burger.

westsail374 15-08-2018 19:33

1977-78 Jimmy’s best stuff coming out. Huge cruise monsters not even an ugly gleam in the big boys’ eyes. Cruising the Caribbean in those days truly was paradise. I was just out of college, my brother Tom and I were living the dream. Solomon’s Island MD to the Grenadines and back again. Pardon me for sounding like a curmudgeon, but the best things that Jimmy sings about are long gone. Except on some places whose names shall not be mentioned where too many will learn of them.

“They called it paradise, the place to be...”

JMitchell 15-08-2018 19:48

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by belizesailor (Post 2697007)
Ding, ding, ding...thats the most widely circulated one...but wait a minute...Buffet himself also tells several versions of this story involving different places...more semi true stories? 🤣

All of his stories are "semi true". Just varies on the amount "semi" or the amount of "true" in any particular one.

Also, for those that like to espouse their hatred for all things JB, you must live a very sheltered life and one without passion or dreams.

True story - Jimmy helped me make it through combat with my sanity (or most of it anyway). I actually discovered his music a few months before my first deployment. By the time I left for the sandbox I had bought every album I could find and pirated a hundred more from the internet. When my small group was split up I made the conscious choice to take the most violent and dangerous post so that others wouldnt have to. I listened to Jimmy's music almost endlessly in my down time. It was my escape from the hell. A mental vacation to caribbean shores and crystal blue seas I loved so much.

So I take a small amount of offense at your slights and stereotypes toward parrot-heads, but not really enough to care. Your opinions are of no importance to me.

Attachment 175560

coastalexplorer 16-08-2018 01:04

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/08/a...lifestyle.html

Saleen411 16-08-2018 01:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by coastalexplorer (Post 2697343)

THAT was really well written.

I esp like the part about Canadians without a tan. You wanna be a beach bar singer?...GET A TAN!!!! Canadians don't know about tans!...eh. Funny schitt.

Saleen411 16-08-2018 03:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEOCAT66 (Post 2696862)
Recently, we and he have parted ways with his recent views and neither of us still consider ourselves Buffett fans. He has lost his way, and us along the way.

Can you expound on this?

SV Bacchus 16-08-2018 03:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saleen411 (Post 2697366)
Can you expound on this?

JB climbed into bed with the liberals..

Buffett to host fundraiser for Hillary Clinton – BuffettNews.com

It is a shame that people with a national, or international, stage feel compelled to use that stage to promote their political views.

I so wish he hadn't brought politics into his circle of limelight..

conchaway 16-08-2018 05:36

Sorry to burst anyone' bubble re: Jimmy Buffet's lifestyle, but it's only
theoretical.
I first met Jimmy Buffet when I worked on a phone where he was staying in Key West +_ 45 yrs. ago. He was a hard working up-and-coming musician then, and I don't think he has taken any real break since. He has great songs and music, but they're all what this self-made multi-millionaire wishes could be.
He's given us a dream also. More power to him!

Lake-Effect 16-08-2018 06:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by coastalexplorer (Post 2697343)

Indeed, a very interesting article about the man, as well as his music and the business. (and what a business)

I'd read before about his upcoming retirement home thing... and though I'm not a Parrothead I could certainly retire like one. As long as they have a dock and slips.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV Bacchus (Post 2697377)

It is a shame that people with a national, or international, stage feel compelled to use that stage to promote their political views.

Gosh, an entertainer who espouses kicking back, taking it easy once in a while, being easygoing, getting along... who genuinely sympathizes with the little guy... might be a liberal? Whodathunkit?:biggrin:

Too funny. I'll bet an icy cold and delicious Margaritaville® margarita that if JB had shown up on a different political stage, with a red MAGA hat, you wouldn't bat an eyelid.

JB's music is if anything, apolitical, even anti-partisan. More people should maybe take that to heart.

Attikos 16-08-2018 06:16

Buffett goes around doing concerts, signing autographs, making public appearances for promotional purposes, marketing his brand products, and enjoying his million and a half dollar oceanfront mansion in Palm Beach. I slave away as a poorly paid free-lance writer, mow grass at my house inland, and get away on my little aging sailboat whenever I can. The answer, then, is a firm "No, I don't."

Fiveslide 16-08-2018 06:29

I saw Jimmy in concert 20 days after my 21st birthday on April 20. You know, 420, as in a really important number to pot smokers?

It went like this... My designated driver and I get to the coliseum mid-day, start drinking and smoking pot. After a couple of beers I get asked for identification by undercover police looking to bust underaged drinking. Trust me, If there were any underaged people at this concert I will go outside right now and eat a fresh wasp nest, the crowd was older.

By show time, I already should not be out in public. Mid-concert, I was waiting in line to pee when I suddenly puked into my own beer cup. I held that beer cup until the line progressed so that I was close enough to toss it in the trashcan, I'm a thoughtful drunk and didn't want anyone to have to pick up my vomit filled solo cup.

I got 2 more beers and went back to where I thought I was supposed to be sitting, I wasn't even close. But there I ran into a gorgeous woman about 15-20 years older than me. At least I remember her being gorgeous. I hit on her. I must have exuded something resembling charm cause she actually agreed to dance with me. Minutes later I was kicked out for dancing too near the balcony railing because the wonderful security guard didn't want me to fall to my death. I'm not sure where the woman I was dancing with had made off to but I was alone on my way out the building.

I stole a traffic cone on the way to the car where I find my DD sleeping off the few beers he'd had while tailgating. I slept most of the way home.

Lake-Effect 16-08-2018 06:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Attikos (Post 2697438)
I slave away as a poorly paid free-lance writer, mow grass at my house inland, and get away on my little aging sailboat whenever I can.

You're a freelance writer, yet you have a house? With a lawn? And this is the first time I've ever heard of a 34' boat being called "little". It's all relative, I guess.

mikereed100 16-08-2018 07:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobnlesley (Post 2697014)
I find some of JB's stuff entertaining in small doses and I've enjoyed several of the books he's written too, but if you're looking for a truer insight into the Cruisers lifestyle through music, then search out Eileen Quinn's music instead

+1. I feel that Jimmy Buffet's music is about the fantasy, but that Eileen Quinn's is about the reality.

Saleen411 16-08-2018 07:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV Bacchus (Post 2697377)

Thanks, I had no idea.

Lihuedooley77 16-08-2018 08:24

We believe in living our own lives , charting our own courses, and sometimes music could have a hand in that.

We are now both retired, and continue to live in beach cities, and enjoy the beach city, and sailing lifestyles . To that, we haved hiking, kayaking, snorkeling, SCUBA DIVING, land driving vacations, and also some other international eco tours.

We did not live on board, but I sailed professionally for 30 some years and now still do international bare boat chartering, or were members of a sailing club for local waters.

We have owned sailing vessels, and chose not to do that at this time in our lives.

As to Jimmy Buffett, we absolutely still enjoy his old songs, and once we are at anchor, on a mooring, or in a slip, Jimmy, Eric Stone, and Caribbean or South Pacific, or Aussie, or Hawaiian music will accompany a glass of Rum, or a cold beer.

We have run into people who call themselves Parrot heads when we would go to Jimmy Buffett concerts here in Orange County, Ca. It was obvious from their tall hats, haole white skin, and demeaner that they never sailed a day in their lives and never cruised the caribbean islands that are in his songs.

That is not bad, but dreaming your life away is quite different than actually living those dreams .

We all choose to do that in our own way . That is cool.

However, I do believe that music can have an impact in some way on those dreams and possibly the paths in life that we have elected to follow.

Long ago, about 1956 or so, there was a fellow named Harry Belefonte. I was 16 /17 and absolutely loved his caribbean music. I said some day I am going to visit those islands. .

Jimmy Buffet also had the same impact on me, but I was sailing at that time and working as a sailing instructor for a sailing club in Newport Beach, Ca.

My first real long awaited Caribbean adventure was skippering a sailing vessel in the BVI, about 35 yrs ago. And then the Windwards and Grenadines, The French West Indies, and The Bahamas.

Our next BVI trip # 17, will be in May 2019 . These old bones will be 79, and it may be the last of our sailing . Never can tell, I said the same thing back in 2017, and once there, pre - Irma, we both said, WE WILL BE BACK.

Another, not sailing related but similar tale was a marvelous movie
DONOVANS REEF, with John Wayne. Set in the south pacific. Donovans reef was a bar that was central to the film. Back in the 1960's, sitting in the audience, for whatever reason, I shouted out , SOME DAY I AM GOING TO DRINK IN THAT BAR. " Snicker, snicker, laugh at that idiot " was the reaction from the others seating around me.

Well, several decades later, 2006 when we moved over to Kauai island, Hawaii, for ten years, turns out that bar was across the road from where we lived in Lihue, and is now called the Nawilwi Tavern, next to the Lihue Marriot at Kalapaki Beach. We just called it the Tavern, good drinks, good fun, and non resort prices. Same old ambiance as the movie.

So, music and songs can sometimes have a fun impact on our lives if we chose to listen and actually do something about it. Could be very small or very large, or even coincidental. Enjoy it.

Currently, we are still living in a beach community, Dana Point, Ca. and a five minute walk to the beach, and a 5 mintue drive to our beautiful harbor and marina.

The uniform of the day, remains board shorts and a tank top or for super dress up on saturday date night, nice pants, and a quality aloha shirt.

There is narry a suit , tie, dress pants, blazer, or dress shirt, or fancy shoes in my closet.

And not going to be.

Point being, again, don't dream you life, live your dream.

SV Bacchus 16-08-2018 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake-Effect (Post 2697436)
I'll bet an icy cold and delicious Margaritaville® margarita that if JB had shown up on a different political stage, with a red MAGA hat, you wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Ahhh, I knew someone would be unable to ascertain that my post was non-partisan. I didn't say what party I support and you don't know what party I support.

I was simply saying I wished he hadn't gone so public with it. I also didn't say it was his songs. It was going public supporting a party, either mine or the other guys, that I wished he hadn't done. But hey, everyone in Hollywood does it as well, and yes, both parties are publicly supported.

To be fair, I wasn't taking a stand, I was answering another posters request for someone to elaborate on why they no longer shared his views.. I will admit that this may not be the answer but it might well be.