Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/do-you-live-the-jimmy-buffet-lifestyle-205927.html)

Cyrus Safdari 14-08-2018 14:21

Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

So just today I was accused by two different people of living the "Margaritaville lifestyle" and "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle" -- I was vaguely familiar with the song from another generation but I didn't realize there's an actual lifestyle and folks who subscribe to it. My lifestyle on a boat has consisted of a lot of sweat and effort, actually. As I gather, Jimmy grew up on/near sailing boats and the cruising life, so that has a lot to do with it. But how many people actually live that calm, laid-back lifestyle on a real, actual boat? Do you live the Jimmy Buffet lifestyle?

a64pilot 14-08-2018 14:30

Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

Most that say they do usually call themselves Parrot Heads.
Now this is my observation only, but being a Parrot Head is an excuse for being a drunk, most Parrot Heads don’t own or live on a boat.

Now if I were to want to emulate someone that is associated with that area of the World, I’d rater pick Hemingway

dwedeking2 14-08-2018 14:45

Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

Hell yea i do. A normal Saturday is spent from 5 30 am til about 1pm busting ass on boat projects but then i kick back with some adult beverages, talk story with the dock neighbors, watch the dolphins and sunset.

Unfortunately i work Monday - Friday so am just an amateur but in a couple years I'll retire and go Pro (and the heavy lifting projects will be done).

boatman61 14-08-2018 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by a64pilot (Post 2696320)
Now this is my observation only, but being a Parrot Head is an excuse for being a drunk, most Parrot Heads don’t own or live on a boat.

Did you not realise.. really drunk people pronou:banghead:nce Pirate as Parrot.. so steer clear of dickheads with pirate flags.. and J B music.. :biggrin:

a64pilot 14-08-2018 14:48

Got it, what is JB music?

Benz 14-08-2018 14:48

There's people living that dream in south Florida, many of them on the tarp-draped derelict sailboats that inevitably wash onto Wysteria Island with every hurricane. For the most part (generalizing here--no doubt there are exeptions), they hang out in one place, just enjoying the sunshine, the bars, and the easy living. The ones with a little money stay in a marina, the ones with less on the hook. It seems to me that it's not about sailing, or seafaring, or voyaging--it's about chilling: wasting away again in Margaritaville. It's not a bad thing, if that's what you want out of life. But you aren't a cruiser--you're a boat bum (again, nothing wrong with being a bum; I've been several kinds of bum myself from time to time).
There was a good bit of that going on in the Rio Dulce last time I visited, just not as much since it's harder to get to than Florida. You have to at least be a sailor for a short time to get there. Boat bums "living the dream" can also be found in Cartagena, in La Paz and Isla Mujeres, Mexico, in San Diego, in Sausalito, in any number of seemingly random places where factors combine to make them stay, like a lint trap on a dryer.

boatman61 14-08-2018 14:54

"Hamburger in Paradise"
Sez it all... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Saleen411 14-08-2018 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 2696342)
"Hamburger in Paradise"
Sez it all... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Not ALL!!! You forgot the CHEESE!!!:biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBsPZV14I-k

boatman61 14-08-2018 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saleen411 (Post 2696347)
Not ALL!!! You forgot the CHEESE!!!:biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBsPZV14I-k

I was worried I would be accused of being Anti American.. Again..!!!.:rolleyes:

Jammer 14-08-2018 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrus Safdari (Post 2696313)
So just today I was accused by two different people of living the "Margaritaville lifestyle" and "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle" -- I was vaguely familiar with the song from another generation but I didn't realize there's an actual lifestyle and folks who subscribe to it.

I have always seen biographical sketches of Mr. Buffett in the same light as biographical sketches of WWE athlete/performers and biographical sketches of women appearing in 1970s men's magazines. In all cases, they are, at least to some extent, part of the entertainment rather than part of the factual/historical record.

Several books have been published that list Mr. Buffett as their author and that claim to be fictionalized accounts of his life. An astute reader might wonder how much, how shall we say, editorial assistance Mr. Buffett might have received. In any case, the books portray a romanticized life where anchors never drag and there is no such thing as a joker valve.

That said, Mr. Buffett reportedly served as a first mate on a superyacht prior to achieving fame, still cruises the East Coast in a Surfari 44 during summer months, and previously owned a number of other cruising boats.

Boats and Planes – BuffettNews.com

Jimmy Buffett's new boat is a Surfari 44

Simi 60 14-08-2018 15:18

jimmy buffets ***** music and plastic dream/nightmare is fairly high up on my list of things I dislike.

sailorboy1 14-08-2018 15:21

Quote:

So just today I was accused by two different people of living the "Margaritaville lifestyle" and "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle" -- I was vaguely familiar with the song from another generation but I didn't realize there's an actual lifestyle and folks who subscribe to it. My lifestyle on a boat has consisted of a lot of sweat and effort, actually. As I gather, Jimmy grew up on/near sailing boats and the cruising life, so that has a lot to do with it. But how many people actually live that calm, laid-back lifestyle on a real, actual boat? Do you live the Jimmy Buffet lifestyle?

Sounds like you are living well. Just tell those "people" thanks and don't step on a pop top

ohdrinkboy 14-08-2018 15:31

ummmm...Jimmy Buffett is a workaholic. He is constantly touring. If he was really living the lifestyle he would be retired. He has plenty of cash to retire.

Jimmy sells a lifestyle, he doesn't really live it.

HopCar 14-08-2018 15:37

Jimmy Buffet is a great entertainer. I saw him in concert a few months ago.
He was a customer at my West Palm Beach store. I never met him but my employees said he was very nice down to earth guy.

That said, Jimmy Buffet doesn’t live the Jimmy Buffet life style. He owns several houses in different places, a nice boat and a freakin seaplane. He earned it.

a64pilot 14-08-2018 15:52

Just I see so many people come down and expect to live the Jimmy Buffet lifestyle, buy a junk boat to live on and near as I can tell live in third world conditions and their dream is smashed with the reality of them serving others from up North that come down with money.
Yeah maybe they should have know better, just I wonder what becomes of them?

It’s the younger ones that I feel for the most.

thomm225 14-08-2018 16:05

This was a big lifestyle in the mid to late 1990's especially.

Folks would retire and buy their expensive cruising boats then get to (cruise/motor the ICW) Florida and hang out

There was no internet to speak of back then so the beach bars were packed!

It was lots of fun but some cruisers got so into it that the drinking would start earlier and earlier.

On the other side were the cruisers that were way into maintenance.

Problem was they were retired then and pretty quickly caught up on all maintenance and were somewhat bored. Not knowing what to fix next

We'd watch them at the Skippers Meeting before our races (beach cat) slowly getting their day going at anchor.

By the time the racing was over, the whole beach was in party mode.....anywhere from 3pm on

I also went to the marina/bar where they say the Cheeseburger in Paradise Song originated with a local girl. Drinking started there very early. This in 1998.

https://www.wtvm.com/story/24818937/a...-cheeseburgers

Then there was another bar I believe on Hwy 98 in Alabama that Jimmy's sister owned I was told that was a bit of a hangout

model 10 14-08-2018 16:14

[QUOTE=a64pilot. Now if I were to want to emulate someone that is associated with that area of the World, I’d rater pick Hemingway[/QUOTE]

You should check with your wife on that one.

thomm225 14-08-2018 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecos (Post 2696400)
You should check with your wife on that one.

Classic Hemingway. (Islands In the Stream)

I also have a book of his short stories onboard including a couple Nick Adams Stories

I first saw this movie when living in the Arizona desert and wishing to back near the coast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHmaMWTGIvs

Group9 14-08-2018 16:36

By living the jimmy Buffett lifestyle, if you mean managing and owning a 500 million dollar entertainment business, no I don’t. I wish I did!

ohgary 14-08-2018 16:37

Jimmy Buffet home, not quite the shack down south he sings about.

https://pursuitist.com/see-inside-ji...ly-hills-home/

CarinaPDX 14-08-2018 17:12

Too many people take his songs literally - they shouldn't. It's called entertainment. And as others have pointed out, Jimmy Buffet is a very hard-working man, even in play. As are most cruisers. Sitting around drinking and smoking pot at anchor is not a long-term cruising plan. And making money smuggling drugs is a really bad idea. Or living it up at a whore house in Haiti... Personally I enjoy the music, but put it in the "fantasy" category.

Greg

belizesailor 14-08-2018 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarinaPDX (Post 2696429)
Too many people take his songs literally - they shouldn't. It's called entertainment. And as others have pointed out, Jimmy Buffet is a very hard-working man, even in play. As are most cruisers. Sitting around drinking and smoking pot at anchor is not a long-term cruising plan. And making money smuggling drugs is a really bad idea. Or living it up at a whore house in Haiti... Personally I enjoy the music, but put it in the "fantasy" category.

Greg

...it all comes together and turns out to be a "semi true story" .... - J Buffet

His real gift is as a story teller and entertainer...even he pokes fun at his musical abilities.

model 10 14-08-2018 17:43

[QUOTE=CarinaPDX; Sitting around drinking and smoking pot at anchor is not a long-term cruising plan.

Says who?

john61ct 14-08-2018 18:56

I would love to aspire to the lifestyle but remaining clean & sober.

a64pilot 14-08-2018 19:27

[QUOTE=Ecos;2696441][QUOTE=CarinaPDX; Sitting around drinking and smoking pot at anchor is not a long-term cruising plan.

Says who?[/QUOTE]

It’s not sustainable. People go downhill from any addiction.
Cigarettes killed my Mother, Alcohol my Brother. Neither was a good way to go.
As crazy as it sounds, I sort of admire Hemingway’s decision as to control when to end it. It seemed to be a family tradition with them, sort of odd.

model 10 14-08-2018 19:42

[QUOTE=a64pilot
It’s not sustainable. People go downhill from any addiction.

Yeah, religion and high morals too. Such BS.

john61ct 14-08-2018 19:46

There are heavy partiers that have no actual addiction.

But it's still abusing the substances and certainly increases the odds of negative effects.

Is that neutrally enough worded for you?

Lake-Effect 14-08-2018 19:54

The main problem with the parrothead thing is the music. I guess I haven't been drunk enough to get into it. (Lord knows I've tried). Sorry, Jimmy.

A beer or two at sunset, sharing a bottle of wine over dinner with my wife... that's my Nirvana. No pirate flags, tiki torches, or watered-down country music required.

Group9 15-08-2018 07:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake-Effect (Post 2696512)
The main problem with the parrothead thing is the music. I guess I haven't been drunk enough to get into it. (Lord knows I've tried). Sorry, Jimmy.

A beer or two at sunset, sharing a bottle of wine over dinner with my wife... that's my Nirvana. No pirate flags, tiki torches, or watered-down country music required.

I lived in Pascagoula, MS ( a block from Buffett’s grandmother) in the 80’s. It was always interesting to hear how many locals ( like his cousin Baxter Buffett from Tire Swing) knew the stories behind the songs. I like those older, less commercial songs, more than the hits.

anacapaisland42 15-08-2018 08:48

JB rarely goes to Florida, wears a suit and tie, is filthy rich and a business man

LOL
Bill

Quote:

Ardbeg 15-08-2018 08:51

While I agree with consensus here that most parrot heads are not sailors and only looking for an excuse to drink, when I am heeled over at 20-25 deg and my genoa is getting wet, it is paradise in bare feet and those songs, especially the old ones make me feel great as I have a beer and cigar, living the life. Even on Lake Ontario!

Group9 15-08-2018 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ardbeg (Post 2696822)
While I agree with consensus here that most parrot heads are not sailors and only looking for an excuse to drink, when I am heeled over at 20-25 deg and my genoa is getting wet, it is paradise in bare feet and those songs, especially the old ones make me feel great as I have a beer and cigar, living the life. Even on Lake Ontario!

And, that's the beauty of Buffett. It's music that can accompany and fuel the fantasy of sailing off to far off exotic places, or the reality of actually doing it.

I've used it for both, too! :biggrin:

canyonbat 15-08-2018 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by a64pilot (Post 2696320)

Now if I were to want to emulate someone that is associated with that area of the World, I’d rater pick Hemingway

My wife and I are Parrot Heads. Not that we are huge Jimmy Buffet fans, we can take or leave most of his music. Rather, we belong to the Lake Havasu City Parrot Head service club (think Rotary or Kiwanis). Yes, a few of our members might over imbibe a bit, but most, like us, have left that lifestyle in the past. Mostly we raise money for local charities and support local events. Our motto is “Party with a purpose”. Many of our members are snowbirds who return to Lake Havasu each winter to enjoy our “senior summer camp in the winter” lifestyle which, to some, closely resembles Jimmy’s.

LEOCAT66 15-08-2018 09:32

For Many, Many Years, My wife and I were serious PARROT HEADS. We have every CD, every DVD, every Book which he has out there, and have attended many of his concerts, if they were reasonably close to home. We typically hang out at LuLu's, in Gulf Shores, and Pirates Cove in Elberta, AL., about which he apparently wrote "CHEESEBURGER IN PARADISE", according to many Buffett experts. We went to Key West just to see and take photos of houses where he had lived in his early years, and places where he began his playing, such as Captain Tony's Saloon, and Louie's Backyard.

He truly has some great music out there, especially the older stuff, from the heart, when he was actually a real sailor.

Recently, we and he have parted ways with his recent views and neither of us still consider ourselves Buffett fans. He has lost his way, and us along the way.

thruska 15-08-2018 09:48

Jimmy Buffet is a millionaire.
That’s his life style !
He espouses a life style but not necessarily living it....

four winds 15-08-2018 10:06

I'm in a slip at Pirates Cove now. First time at a dock in three years.

They do have good cheeseburgers. Also installed a huge new pizza oven last winter during a kitchen refit. The pizza is very good.

Everyone hopes the Cove never changes, and they have no intentions to do so. The place looks the same as it did decades ago. Almost everyone here is a active sailor and are very welcoming to all who come by.

Great place for people to bring their dogs. They are numerous and have the run of the place.

Sadly, Paul senior passed several years back, sons Paul and Carl run the place, and cook all the burgers. It's what they do. Mom, Miss Ilene, is still around and keeping everybody straight.

JB's sister owns Lulu's restaurant a few miles west in Gulf Shores. Jimmy is seen there from time to time, but hasn't been here in many years, or no one mentions it.

As they say here, "Long live Pirates Cove".

sheldon957 15-08-2018 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by a64pilot (Post 2696335)
Got it, what is JB music?

A64, Jimmy Buffet music as I'm sure you gleaned by now. Also, He is big into airplanes.

His Goose is up in Orlando on static display at his Margaritaville Restaurant.

He also owns a caravan on floats that is at my airport (F45) every winter, and I have also seen him land at Marathon. I have my ASES, but only have flown a cub. I talked to the pilot and he said that big ole caravan lands pretty easy on the amphibs.

captlloyd 15-08-2018 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy (Post 2696374)
ummmm...Jimmy Buffett is a workaholic. He is constantly touring. If he was really living the lifestyle he would be retired. He has plenty of cash to retire.

Jimmy sells a lifestyle, he doesn't really live it.

Ohdrinkboy, pretty much nailed it. Jimmy does have his share of fun and the life though. :popcorn:

boatman1 15-08-2018 10:16

Jaime Buffett is 70 years or so old, and quite wealthy. In 1975 he (and me, and a bunch of folks on this site) was in his twenties and was living a lifestyle as portrayed in his songs. I met him down island when he had a Cheoy Lee and we all were knocking around with a bunch of marijuana smugglers and adventurous world (Carribean) travelers (with enough bucks to buy a cruising sailboat). He probably never participated directly in the great american weed fleet, but he sure knew some of the participants. So his stories as reflected in the lyrics of a number of his early songs is based on 1st hand knowledge. He had the discipline to stay with his music and promote himself, and those traits have paid off well. I don't think that there is a comparable population of young scalawags doing the things Buffett portrays in his music, so if you are really living "that" lifestyle (and aren't getting on in years), you're pretty unique. And I wouldn't try sailing a boatload of finest reefer into Coconut Grove, as per the early/mid seventies.

Group9 15-08-2018 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by four winds (Post 2696888)
I'm in a slip at Pirates Cove now. First time at a dock in three years.

They do have good cheeseburgers. Also installed a huge new pizza oven last winter during a kitchen refit. The pizza is very good.

Everyone hopes the Cove never changes, and they have no intentions to do so. The place looks the same as it did decades ago. Almost everyone here is a active sailor and are very welcoming to all who come by.

Great place for people to bring their dogs. They are numerous and have the run of the place.

Sadly, Paul senior passed several years back, sons Paul and Carl run the place, and cook all the burgers. It's what they do. Mom, Miss Ilene, is still around and keeping everybody straight.

JB's sister owns Lulu's restaurant a few miles west in Gulf Shores. Jimmy is seen there from time to time, but hasn't been here in many years, or no one mentions it.

As they say here, "Long live Pirates Cove".

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbiUfJJH...=mv_hye_won_ii
One of our favorite stops.

(And, Jimmy's old college room mate lives not too far from PCYC. One of the reasons, you see him around there from time to time.)

Me, tied up there in 1987. :biggrin: