Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/do-you-live-the-jimmy-buffet-lifestyle-205927.html)

JMitchell 23-08-2018 06:12

Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CarinaPDX (Post 2702890)

wow, a 124' sailboat!

anacapaisland42 26-08-2018 04:18

Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?
 
Think about it: "Cheeseburger in Paradise" does have a much better ring to it than "Filet Mignon in Los Angeles"
Bill



[QUOTE=Jim Cate;2701416]Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

rognvald 26-08-2018 08:18

Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?
 
Before we carve Buffet's head on Mt. Rushmore, I'll offer another perspective: Buffet is a first-class entrepreneur and a third class "musician." He has used his "one hit star" status to build an impressive financial empire. And. . . no, it's not "Achey, Breaky Heart" . . . that was Billy Rae Cyrus. Rognvald P.S. And, to mention his name in comparison to Hemingway's is a leap of imagination that only a very uneducated person would make.

RaymondR 26-08-2018 12:36

Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrus Safdari (Post 2696313)
So just today I was accused by two different people of living the "Margaritaville lifestyle" and "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle" -- I was vaguely familiar with the song from another generation but I didn't realize there's an actual lifestyle and folks who subscribe to it. My lifestyle on a boat has consisted of a lot of sweat and effort, actually. As I gather, Jimmy grew up on/near sailing boats and the cruising life, so that has a lot to do with it. But how many people actually live that calm, laid-back lifestyle on a real, actual boat? Do you live the Jimmy Buffet lifestyle?

If the comments were made in an "accusative" fashion it sounds like pure envy to me. Obviously, if you are attracting these sort of comments you are doing something right with your life. Keep up the good work mate.

rickwest 27-08-2018 19:50

Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RaymondR (Post 2705419)
If the comments were made in an "accusative" fashion it sounds like pure envy to me. Obviously, if you are attracting these sort of comments you are doing something right with your life. Keep up the good work mate.

Hemingway ate his gun not sure many people would want to follow his footsteps.
I worked for Jimmy in the 90s he was making $100 million a year then..now maybe $200 for being below average as you say, he is doing very well...not that money is the only factor but in America money is king..lately anyway

rognvald 28-08-2018 10:22

Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?
 
[QUOTE=rickwest;2706654]Hemingway ate his gun not sure many people would want to follow his footsteps.


Rick,
Money is a judge of a person's ability to make money . . . nothing else. Some have it . . . some don't. Hemingway was an artist. He was a complex human being. Sometimes suicide is a noble act of courage. Hemingway was dying of cancer. He lived a life most people could only imagine and he lived it to the fullest. What's the point to suffer when the finality is inevitable? His act of suicide was an act of a man with resolute determination. Many among us are too weak to take this route. My opinion. Good luck and safe sailing. . . Rognvald

a64pilot 28-08-2018 10:53

Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?
 
I said that I would not likely have picked such a violent death, but deciding to take ones life can be an act of bravery.
My Father fought Cancer for years, lost his Kidneys due to it and after experiencing the debacle of Dialysis clinics placed himself on Home Hemo Dialysis with a Drs support and under his supervision of course.
Anyway the Cancer came back, and this would have been the third fight, he had lost a lot of physical ability and of course his kidneys and just didnít have the health and strength to fight it.
Death by the Cancer would come only after a great deal of unbearable pain and of course would bankrupt him, but it was inevitable, it was going to happen, there was no doubt.
He took himself off of dialysis and of course didnít survive that. However he didnít go through long times in unbearable pain and set up a trust fund to pay for the education of his descendants that is sending my Daughter, his Granddaughter to College today. It has paid for about seven or eight peopleís education so far. Itís what he wanted to do. Education was important to him.
I admire him for his decision, and hope that when the time comes for me, I am both brave enough and allowed to make a similar decision if the circumstances are similar.

Group9 02-09-2018 19:32

Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rognvald (Post 2705227)
Before we carve Buffet's head on Mt. Rushmore, I'll offer another perspective: Buffet is a first-class entrepreneur and a third class "musician." He has used his "one hit star" status to build an impressive financial empire. And. . . no, it's not "Achey, Breaky Heart" . . . that was Billy Rae Cyrus. Rognvald P.S. And, to mention his name in comparison to Hemingway's is a leap of imagination that only a very uneducated person would make.

Well, one thing for sure I have learned about debating the last few years. Whenever I have a different opinion from someone, it is often because I am uneducated. :biggrin:

rickwest 03-09-2018 08:57

Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Group9 (Post 2711532)
Well, one thing for sure I have learned about debating the last few years. Whenever I have a different opinion from someone, it is often because I am uneducated. [emoji3]

depends on what you are debating..like the world is flat...

I have lived in Key West for over 25 years...never heard a single word that Hemingway had cancer, he had accident related injuries...and he was a serious alcoholic that may have had its negitive effects...maybe on his liver

Taking ones life ran in his family.....

rognvald 03-09-2018 15:28

Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickwest (Post 2711900)
depends on what you are debating..like the world is flat...

I have lived in Key West for over 25 years...never heard a single word that Hemingway had cancer, he had accident related injuries...and he was a serious alcoholic that may have had its negitive effects...maybe on his liver

Taking ones life ran in his family.....

Rick,
Besides depression, liver/kidney problems, alcoholism, shingles, cancer, syphilis, former accident injuries, paranoia, inability to process iron, impotence, etc., etc., among the many claims, the Hemingway family and Mary, his wife at the time of his death, were very protective of his image and legacy including the lie that his death was accidental(no hunter cleans a loaded gun) and therefore the real truth about his health remains blurry even today. I do not believe there was even an autopsy done on his body and if so, it was never released to the public. One of his best novels, in my opinion, is "Islands in the Stream" that was published after his death. Nonetheless, Hemingway remains one of the few great American writers along with Tennessee Williams, Truman Capote, Jack London and the poets Robert Frost and T.S. Eliot. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald

Group9 03-09-2018 17:28

Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickwest (Post 2711900)
depends on what you are debating..like the world is flat...

...

Not really. Somewhere, the counter argument, that those who disagree with you, only do so because they are stupid, is being taught in debate class as we speak, from all appearances..

Lake-Effect 03-09-2018 19:09

Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Group9 (Post 2712348)
Not really. Somewhere, the counter argument, that those who disagree with you, only do so because they are stupid, is being taught in debate class as we speak, from all appearances..


"Two men think they're Jesus;
One of them must be wrong..."


"Industrial Disease", Dire Straits, 1982

john61ct 03-09-2018 20:51

Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?
 
Jesus is within each of us. As are all the other prophets.

The idea of our being physical beings, each a separate individual living in a world with other separate beings is a fanciful illusion.

Group9 06-09-2018 04:57

Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lake-Effect (Post 2712435)
"Two men think they're Jesus;
One of them must be wrong..."


"Industrial Disease", Dire Straits, 1982

Why can it only be that one of them is wrong?

Lake-Effect 08-09-2018 08:45

Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Group9 (Post 2714376)
Why can it only be that one of them is wrong?

The quote does not deny that outcome. :rolleyes:

I threw that in here just because of your suggestion that
Quote:

the counter argument, that those who disagree with you, only do so because they are stupid, is being taught in debate class as we speak, from all appearances.
I would counter with the observation that debate, having become a more pervasive and public "sport", has also suffered in quality as well. There are greater numbers of stupid people debating now, basically.

There's more than one CF poster who's asserted that the capricious leader of a powerful country was chosen in part because of voters who resented being called stupid. Somewhere in that assertion is the very definition of stupid...


(the preceding is largely sarcastic, and of course is a hyperbolic oversimplification)


Anyway... this sort of digression is completely counter to the Jimmy Buffett lifestyle. Come by about 5-ish, and I will happily fire up the bbq and put a wobbly pop in your hand while we kick back with some tunes. Come October, I can even (legally) offer you a spliff :flowers:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:09.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.