Cruisers & Sailing Forums (
-   Europe & Mediterranean (
-   -   VAT, EU, British, Non Res. (

Hartings 24-01-2020 11:34

Re: VAT, EU, British, Non Res.

Originally Posted by Montanan (Post 3053053)
Additional guidance from Her Majesty's government, especially as to the imposition of Schengen restrictions to UK citizens post Brexit.

You may desire to sign up for email alerts and updates issued directly from the UK government.

Reference link:

"The UK is leaving the EU. This page tells you how to prepare for Brexit and will be updated if anything changes.:

Travel to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein will change if the UK leaves the EU with no deal.

Things you may need to do before you go include:

check your passport

get travel insurance that covers your healthcare

check you have the right driving documents

organise pet travel - contact your vet at least 4 months before you go

There are more things to do if you’re travelling for business. For example, going to meetings and conferences, providing services (even with a charity), and touring art or music. Reference website above for link to individual country visa requirements for business related travel.

Passports: check if you need to renew

You may need to renew your British passport earlier if you’re travelling after Brexit.

On the day you travel, you’ll need your passport to both:

have at least 6 months left

be less than 10 years old (even if it has 6 months or more left)

If you do not renew it, you may not be able to travel to most EU countries and Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

You can use a tool to check whether your passport is valid for the country you’re visiting. See website referenced above for link to this tool.

It usually takes 3 weeks if you need to renew your passport. There’s a premium service if you need it sooner.

These rules do not apply to travel to Ireland. You can continue to use your passport as long as it’s valid for the length of your stay.

Healthcare: check you’re covered

You should always get appropriate travel insurance with healthcare cover before you go abroad.

After Brexit your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) card may not be valid.

It’s particularly important you get travel insurance with the right cover if you have a pre-existing medical condition. This is because the EHIC scheme covers pre-existing conditions, while many travel insurance policies do not.

Driving: you may need extra documents

You’ll need some extra documents after Brexit.

You’ll need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some countries. Check if you need an IDP.

If you’re taking your own vehicle, you’ll also need:

a ‘green card’ - allow 1 month to get this from your vehicle insurance company

a GB sticker

Entering other countries

Visas for short trips: you will not need one if you’re a tourist

If you’re a tourist, you will not need a visa for short trips to EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. You’ll be able to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer, to work or study, or for business travel.

Check each country’s travel advice page for information on how to get a visa or permit. Again link is provided at the above referenced webpage.

Travel to Ireland will not change after Brexit. You’ll also be able to work in Ireland in the same way as before.

It has been approved by UK and now is in the process of obtaining EU approval. Nothing will change before the year end when everything will change although formally we will cease to be a member of the EU in a weeks time

boatman61 24-01-2020 11:45

Re: VAT, EU, British, Non Res.

Originally Posted by Montanan (Post 3057543)
:popcorn: More popcorn!

Uncertainty continues. The withdrawal agreement has yet to be approved by the House of Lords, and attained the Queen's consent, or approved by the European Parliament.

PUBLISHED: 07:45, Wed, Jan 15, 2020 |

"Could the Brexit deal be blocked in the House of Lords?

Now the House of Commons has passed the bill the next stop is the House of Lords. Parliament’s upper chamber undergoes much the same process as the House of Commons.

The Withdrawal Agreement will undergo a first and second reading before progressing to a committee stage, report stage, and final third reading.

The House of Lords does not possess the same power as Commons, as it is unable to prevent bills from becoming law.

While the bill is in the upper chamber, Lords members may make amendments, but it must go back to the House of Commons for changes to take effect.

The Lords cannot stop the bill altogether but may be able to keep it in a state of ‘ping pong’ as it swings between the two Parliamentary chambers, prolonging the legislation and preventing a January 31 exit date."

:danger:I have no idea what happens if a Ping Pong game evolves between the two chambers of Parliament and runs into overtime beyond January 31. SNAFU, I suppose.

"Most people may assume the chances of the bill stalling in Lords is low, given Boris Johnson’s election success, however, this is not necessarily the case.

Boris Johnson clinched a Commons majority of 80 on December 12, allowing him to easily pass legislation through the lower house.

However, his staggering lead did not extend to the House of Lords, which operates on unelected peers.

Currently, the House of Lords is controlled by the opposition via a combination of Labour and Liberal Democrat peers.

The Conservatives have 244 members in the House of Lords, while Labour has 181 and the Liberal Democrats 94.

Here is the total composition of the House of Lords:

- Conservative: 244 members

- Labour: 181 members

- Liberal Democrat: 94 members

- Crossbench: 186 members

- Non-affiliated: 48 members

- Bishops: 26 members

- Democratic Unionist Party: Four members

- Green Party: Two members

- Conservative Independent: One member

- Independent Social Democrat: One member

- Independent Ulster Unionist: One member

- Labour Independent: One member

- Plaid Cymru: One member

- Lord Speaker"

JOB DONE.!!! :cheers::biggrin:

Hartings 27-01-2020 10:23

Re: VAT, EU, British, Non Res.

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 3061549)
JOB DONE.!!! :cheers::biggrin:

Not so sure about that

Are UK residents classed as non-EU residents from 31/1 or not ?

De.windhoos 27-01-2020 14:10

Re: VAT, EU, British, Non Res.

Originally Posted by Hartings (Post 3063164)
Not so sure about that

Are UK residents classed as non-EU residents from 31/1 or not ?

No, nothing changes during the transition period

Hartings 27-01-2020 14:20

Re: VAT, EU, British, Non Res.

Originally Posted by De.windhoos (Post 3063338)
No, nothing changes during the transition period

So we wont be leaving the EU on 31/1 then ?

boatman61 27-01-2020 14:27

Re: VAT, EU, British, Non Res.

Originally Posted by Hartings (Post 3063347)
So we wont be leaving the EU on 31/1 then ?

Cease to be a functioning member but stay with their rules till Jan 2021.
Or maybe stop sooner if they pee us off and we go WTO. :biggrin:

GTom 02-02-2020 11:53

Re: VAT, EU, British, Non Res.
The deed is done, what's next? I wonder what will be the status of Northern Ireland. Currently they seem to stay in the EU.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:59.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.