Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   OpenCPN (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/)
-   -   display position of an object with UDP conection (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/display-position-of-an-object-with-udp-conection-200371.html)

jgk 24-04-2018 03:39

display position of an object with UDP conection
 
Hi!

New to CPN, so might be asking a stupid question...

I m a trying to display the position of an object (a mini ROV) in open CPN.

I ve set up a connection to receive NMEA data through UDP. It appears to receive the data (data streams showing in NMEA debug window), but then i can't manage to get a display of this position in the map.

any ideas?

Thanks!

nohal 24-04-2018 04:52

Re: display position of an object with UDP conection
 
No, no idea as we do not know what data your object sends.

bcn 24-04-2018 04:53

Re: display position of an object with UDP conection
 
Publish the data stream here, in oder to see if it is correct.
(For attachments the paper clip, rename the file to ...txt.jpg to overcome size restrictions - or just paste some lines into the comment)

jgk 24-04-2018 05:30

Re: display position of an object with UDP conection
 
1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 168640

Thanks for the replies!

See example of the data stream here and attached:


----------
$GPGGA,121555,6326.539,N,01025.447,E,0,00,0.0,0.0, M,0.0,M,,*7B
$GPGGA,121555,6326.540,N,01025.449,E,0,00,0.0,0.0, M,0.0,M,,*7B
...

nohal 24-04-2018 05:53

Re: display position of an object with UDP conection
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgk (Post 2620843)
Attachment 168640

Thanks for the replies!

See example of the data stream here and attached:


----------
$GPGGA,121555,6326.539,N,01025.447,E,0,00,0.0,0.0, M,0.0,M,,*7B
$GPGGA,121555,6326.540,N,01025.449,E,0,00,0.0,0.0, M,0.0,M,,*7B
...

Whatever creates this NMEA stream reports all the positions as invalid (0 in the 6th data field, for a valid position it must be 1 or 2, see GPS - NMEA sentence information)

Pavel

jgk 24-04-2018 07:25

Re: display position of an object with UDP conection
 
Hi pavel,

Thanks for your input. indeed, correcting the NMEA stream with the valid positions fixed it.

And next follow up question: is it possible to display 2 positions from two such streams for 2 different ship (in my case one ROV + one vessel position)?

If I setup two connections with their own data streams of positions, they are interpreted as "own ship" and the ship keep jumping around from one to the other :-)

nohal 24-04-2018 07:29

Re: display position of an object with UDP conection
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgk (Post 2620912)
Hi pavel,

Thanks for your input. indeed, correcting the NMEA stream with the valid positions fixed it.

And next follow up question: is it possible to display 2 positions from two such streams for 2 different ship (in my case one ROV + one vessel position)?

If I setup two connections with their own data streams of positions, they are interpreted as "own ship" and the ship keep jumping around from one to the other :-)

Yes, but not like this, the GPS sensor in NMEA0183 means "my own GPS sensor" for us. You will have to use other features - either AIS (AIVDM sentence, "difficult" to encode) or WPL sentence treated as APRS position reports (trivial to encode).

jgk 24-04-2018 07:45

Re: display position of an object with UDP conection
 
ok, understood, thanks!

indeed, GPWPL will do the trick for me.

nohal 24-04-2018 07:47

Re: display position of an object with UDP conection
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgk (Post 2620929)
ok, understood, thanks!

indeed, GPWPL will do the trick for me.

Do not forget to enable it in Toolbox->Ships->AIS Targets...

jgk 24-04-2018 08:43

Re: display position of an object with UDP conection
 
:thumb:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:22.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.