Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Engines and Propulsion Systems (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Help: My Volvo Penta D1-20B won't even crank (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f54/help-my-volvo-penta-d1-20b-wont-even-crank-200258.html)

icordoba 21-04-2018 09:10

Help: My Volvo Penta D1-20B won't even crank

Hello,
I seem to have a big problem with my Volvo D1-20B (digital panel). Starter wonít crank. So far, engine has been starting ok but some months ago I started getting the warning beep and icon in the panel screen right after starting the engine. Probably this was a warning that something (starter, solenoid, Ö) was in fault, but the engine was starting as good as always (other than the warnings described of course).
Now, whatever that the problem was, probably ended up breaking for good, and now the starter wonít even crank.
Today I got a new battery to be sure that is was not related to it, but it didnít fix it. Next weekend I will be checking the voltage in the solenoid as described in https://www.passagemaker.com/technic...ine-wont-start

Any other ideas on what to test? but maybe someone has had a similar issue and can give me any better idea on what to do.

Ignacio

NoTies 21-04-2018 15:47

Re: Help: My Volvo Penta D1-20B won't even crank

Not sure if the D1 has a relay powering the solenoid but it would pay to check.

Snowpetrel 21-04-2018 16:12

That article covers all the basics. Two other common issues that can present the same way are hydrolocking the engine, if water gets inside the cylinders for some reason it won't crank ( it will turn a little first then lock up) . Over time it drains down into the sump, so oil level rises and the engine will turn over a bit first.

The most common one on yachts is a faulty key switch due to water ingress because its mounted in the cockpit. You can often work out how to bypass the key and hotwire the engine in this case. Probably better to locate the start relay and bypass it directly.

A lot can be learned from the sound near the starter motor and solenoid when the key is turned. If its clicking slightly chances are its getting power. If there is nothing at all it points to no power or a completely stuck solenoid.

icordoba 22-04-2018 01:57

Hi and thanks for both comments,
D1 has a relay but it is non serviceable (it's inside the digital "black box"). I hope that is not the cause as it would mean changing the expensive box. About hydrolocking, it's not the case. The starter won't even move a millimeter. It is some electric fault... which given the warning I had been getting after starting the motor previous months (even it was working ok), looks like the solenoid, but can be a cabling problem, the mentioned relay or the starter motor itself. I hope to have time to review next week. I'll post here the result. Thanks again.

Wotname 22-04-2018 04:56

Hmm... an intermittent electrical problem, slowly getting worse and then fails completely - I would be looking for corrosion or loose terminals initially.

RonRicco 22-04-2018 05:44

Help: My Volvo Penta D1-20B won't even crank

I went through this exercise recently with Yanmars. On the port engine it turned out to be corrosion on the grounds that connect to to the engine block. Cleaned the corrosion and the problem went away.

Had similar symptoms on the stbd side except it acted more like a weak battery until the motor would not turn over at all. This time it turned out to be the starter which took all of 10 minutes to replace once the diagnosis pointed that direction.

mitiempo 22-04-2018 08:27

Somewhere between the digital panel and the engine is a multi-pin plug. I would start there as I have seen this problem before. Sad part is the plug is of no benefit to you, just the engine installer.

Ray-Contest42 22-04-2018 09:25

THe electronic box is your problem
Volvo have superseded the part number 5 times
Costs about CND$1000.
May be covered under warranty
Good luck- Let me know how you make out

Pete7 22-04-2018 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray-Contest42 (Post 2619757)
THe electronic box is your problem
Volvo have superseded the part number 5 times
Costs about CND$1000.
May be covered under warranty
Good luck- Let me know how you make out

You have to question the sense of putting a black box of electronics on a little diesel engine that could be used away from normal support. :nonono:

Captndave1 22-04-2018 10:02

Try turning the engine over by hand, if no rotation, the warning could have been "low oil pressure". If so, you could have seized the bearings, in which case you are talking total engine rebuild. If the engine does turn over by hand, then look for electrical issues

Ray-Contest42 22-04-2018 10:08

You have to wonder. Its not like it is an electronically controlled engine that would require this level of technology.
As a Volvo dealer,I have swopped out four of these units in the past year. All of which have failed within a year. I would be surprised it is not the problem
If Pete7 wants to replace the system with a simple push button, relay and key switch, he would save himself a lot of money and have reliability

Pete7 22-04-2018 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray-Contest42 (Post 2619786)
You have to wonder. Its not like it is an electronically controlled engine that would require this level of technology.
As a Volvo dealer,I have swopped out four of these units in the past year. All of which have failed within a year. I would be surprised it is not the problem
If Pete7 wants to replace the system with a simple push button, relay and key switch, he would save himself a lot of money and have reliability

Ray, not my engine, I have a VP 2003 which is easy to start, with a can of ether :biggrin:

Ray-Contest42 22-04-2018 11:12

Sorry Pete.
Ether will do it. Do not be heavy handed. Seen a guy blow his oil pan off
Volvo 2003 engines have a weird cold start setup with the stop cable which I am sure you know.
The 2003 Solas engines ( in lifeboats) had a heat box on the intake which made a big difference. Maybe you can fashion something

icordoba 22-04-2018 13:37

(Quick note I should have pointed in my first entry... it is a 2007 D1-20B)

Vortec 23-04-2018 06:26

I have same engine in the booat I bought 3 years ago. The EVC unit not functioning I bought a new (used) that only shows rev, oil temp and DC charging ocasionally. Wont start from the panel, but the previous owner had a pushbutten installed, and it works fine. But first try to crank the engine by hand...