Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Emergency, Disaster and Distress (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f158/)
-   -   The hurricane prediction is for the strongest in 70 years (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f158/the-hurricane-prediction-is-for-the-strongest-in-70-years-199122.html)

Olddan1943 26-03-2018 18:46

Re: The hurricane prediction is for the strongest in 70 years

Once again, you and they have spent the day talking about the weather and we didn't solve anything

jackdale 26-03-2018 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by newhaul (Post 2604663)
kind of hard to test their theory when they refuse to provide the raw data. Or even how they got the data sets.

That is fallacious.

jackdale 26-03-2018 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty Kiwi (Post 2604640)
NZ was 81% renewable in electricity in 2015, aiming to get to 90% by 2025.
Mainly Hydro, with wind making the increase.

Great. :thumb:

svGenesis 26-03-2018 19:00

Ulrich looks to be a mean Mutha%#@ker

leftbrainstuff 26-03-2018 19:21

Weather is part chaos and part pattern. We humans are pretty good at pattern recognition. Chaos, however is effectively a wicked problem, and something we understand very little before the events have occurred..

Therefore studying weather is both art and science with no gauranteed answers.

DotDun 27-03-2018 05:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbunyard (Post 2604748)
Since the whole thread has devolved into a farrago of, apparently, fear-induced regurgitations from the same old tired internet blogs, cherry-picked supposed evidence, misunderstanding and outright prevarication, let me ask you (and by extension, all the other crusty old white guys who seem to be 'feeling the threat') instead of just proclaiming something 'is wrong in so may ways', tell us why it's wrong.

As it stands, my statement is absolutely correct, and a matter of record.

"The development and establishment of the internet was primarily funded (in the US at any rate) by the Defense Department. The Defense Department is funded by the US taxpayer, so what was actually happening was that the individuals who use it were only getting something that they had already paid for."

The 'service providers' originally used existing telephone lines for internet service, and expanded service as demand called for it, and were subsidized, and continue to be subsidized, by the federal government (i.e. the taxpayer).

For example, first result for a google search for 'AT&T federal subsidies'.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...nment-funding/

So, in effect, any users of telephony in the US are paying private US companies for goods and services that they have, at least in part, already paid for.

Not to mention things like most if not all of the original technology behind the phones themselves...if the soporified-by-their-leftist-education public ever actually thought about this multiple taxation, I wonder how long it would take for a little 'Jeffersonian rebellion'. Certainly seems a little overdue...

The US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) funded research, which is there job, into connecting local and remote computers using a general purpose network (vs. proprietary). The output of that research was the Advanced Research Projects Administration Network (ARPANET) during which the Internet Protocols were developed in an open forum. ARPANET was shut down in the early 1990's and did not carry commercial traffic, hence the Department of Defense did not 'establish' the Internet. Yes, through DARPA research grants, awarded to academia, the IPv4 protocol(s) were developed in an open forum for all to use free of charge. Protocol development is not 'establishment'.

Yes, even you are entitled to use the IP protocols free of charge, feel free to 'establish' your own Internet access.

You should also point out the 'subsidies' you mention are restricted to ~5-6% of US citizens who live in rural areas and most likely wouldn't have Internet access without the financial help. But, since that diminishes your blather, you failed to mention it.

Scotty Kiwi 27-03-2018 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olddan1943 (Post 2604653)
If you can repeat it 3 times with the same results, it is 'science'

Haha that's great --- :smile:. Noting your inverted commas, I agree. What a shame that so many of us (myself included) have become cynical.

Cadence 27-03-2018 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty Kiwi (Post 2605236)
Haha that's great --- :smile:. Noting your inverted commas, I agree. What a shame that so many of us (myself included) have become cynical.

I'm afraid that is life. There is so much BS out there you can't help it.

Scotty Kiwi 27-03-2018 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by boat_alexandra (Post 2604682)
Hydro power has a huge environmental cost, it should not be considered clean energy or in the same category as wind and solar power.

New Zealand is mostly deforested, and the south island is spoilied because of unnecessary dairy farms there. They decided to trade their environment for money to keep their income similar to the US, because they just don't have the same kind of technical skills or innovation.

They dump more toxic poison such as 1800, cyanide, and many more in wild areas much more than anywhere else! They even use CCA wood that was banned 15 years ago in the USA because it is toxic. The soil is eroding as fast as anywhere due to unsustainable agriculture.
I could go on and on for pages about new zealand.

new zealand being destroyed just as fast as anywhere is pathetic considering how few people live there. I guess I shouldn't expect any intelligence from the people there after all, they built their capitol in the windiest possible place on an earthquake fault!

How exactly do they predict 2018 will be the biggest storm season in 70 years?

Wow. Good on yer mate! Haha - An un-intelligent New Zealand person must have done something bad to you to generate that strength of opinion ... misinformed, mile wide, inch deep.

Errr ... do you have equivalent opinion on Norway's people - with 95% hydro, massive oil industry, months of temperatures below zero in their capital (Olso) and less wind for sailing? Or say ... North Americans? The question's rhetorical. (That means there's no need to answer).

newhaul 27-03-2018 14:10

Seeing as how we have shifted the discussions to the southern hemisphere .
I came across this this morning https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...i=AAgfYrC&ocid
Also this report from the ABC Victoria weather: First snow of the season at Mt Hotham, Falls Creek as cold snap crosses state - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
It appears that the weather didn't get the MMGW memo once again.:facepalm:

StuM 27-03-2018 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty Kiwi (Post 2605257)
Wow. Good on yer mate! Haha - An un-intelligent New Zealand person must have done something bad to you to generate that strength of opinion ... misinformed, mile wide, inch deep.

"bad" is frequently in the eye of the beholder.

And from previous posts, I gather it was an immigration officer who "done him wrong". :-)

jackdale 27-03-2018 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadence (Post 2605246)
I'm afraid that is life. There is so much BS out there you can't help it.

You can always apply the CRAAP Test:

American Library Association Updates Its CRAAP Test for Spotting Fake News | Mental Floss

Cadence 28-03-2018 07:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdale (Post 2605332)

Interesting link. I believe some people apply that automatically and some just parrot whatever they read or hear without vetting the source.
My wife will say everyone believes this or that. I have to ask who the hell is everyone?

CaptTom 28-03-2018 07:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackdale (Post 2605332)

I love it!

All those points used to be considered just good journalism. That whole concept seems to be gone now, and we're left to make our own CRAAP determination.

newhaul 28-03-2018 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadence (Post 2605649)
Interesting link. I believe some people apply that automatically and some just parrot whatever they read or hear without vetting the source.
My wife will say everyone believes this or that. I have to ask who the hell is everyone?

that or the meme they have been indoctrinated to due to the mainstream carrying the same bs day in and day out.