Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Indian Ocean & Red Sea (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f24/)
-   -   Leaving a Trimaran in langkawi permanently (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f24/leaving-a-trimaran-in-langkawi-permanently-198164.html)

philipmclaren1 02-03-2018 03:52

Leaving a Trimaran in langkawi permanently

Im going to buy a 70s Telstar Trimaran and drive it from the Uk to Malaysia on a Trailer it should take around 35 days taking it easy. They have recently opened up the Trilateral Highway between India and Thailand which makes this possible to do.
My plan is to then keep it moored in Langkawi full time and fly in and out as i want for a couple of months at a time.
I also want to cruise in the Gulf of Thailand so i could put it on a trailer and drive to the other side rather than go the long time consuming way round.
I wondered if anybody has experience of keeping a boat in Langkawi and could tell me the cheapest and best place to do this on long yearly rates.

nauticalnomad 07-08-2018 13:51

Re: Leaving a Trimaran in langkawi permanently

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipmclaren1 (Post 2588426)
Im going to buy a 70s Telstar Trimaran and drive it from the Uk to Malaysia on a Trailer it should take around 35 days taking it easy. They have recently opened up the Trilateral Highway between India and Thailand which makes this possible to do.
My plan is to then keep it moored in Langkawi full time and fly in and out as i want for a couple of months at a time.
I also want to cruise in the Gulf of Thailand so i could put it on a trailer and drive to the other side rather than go the long time consuming way round.
I wondered if anybody has experience of keeping a boat in Langkawi and could tell me the cheapest and best place to do this on long yearly rates.

I dont know the rates etc.. I am on my way slowly to Langkawi and spend a month or 2 there each year enroute to Australia to wait the EU winter out. Langkawi has 2 marinas and a 3rd on rebak island which is in swimming distance from the mainland but is a resort island with a yacht basin and hardstand attached to it. A lovely place but secluded. Sadly no cars on the island due to there being no roads. Did you end up driving there? Maybe Thailand would be a better option. Krabi lagoon has a nice fairly new marina which might be better access for your situation as the marina has a good hard standing available and you have all the islands available between Krabi and Phuket. Plus there will be more wind there.

Gone2long 29-07-2019 00:12

Re: Leaving a Trimaran in langkawi permanently

Good advice from nautical nomad, but if you do go to Langkawi, check out the Marina at Rebac. It is rather remote and no car ferry there, but it's a good safe place for long term storage and rates are cheaper than the RLYC in Kuah by about 15%. Slip rates are MR 1.70 per foot. Not sure how they compute tris. Elec, water and wifi are reasonable. Wi fi is about $35 us per mo. Good luck.