Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/)
-   -   Hookah System for maintenance/inspection/recreation--Practical? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/hookah-system-for-maintenance-inspection-recreation-practical-198104.html)

Sailon1 28-02-2018 11:42

Hookah System for maintenance/inspection/recreation--Practical?

Any advice or experience with using a hookah system on a sailboat?
I'm looking at a moderately priced system with 25' of hose that attaches to a scuba tank. Given that 10' or so would be required to lead from the water line and up and over the gunnel to the tank, that leaves 15' or so of free hose line for diving and a rather limited reach as far as moving around and under the hull.
A dingy (small Zodiac) could also be used to hold the tank and provide more depth and freedom of movement in the water.
Another option is, of course, to strap on the tank, a process that provides its own set of advantages and disadvantages.
Ideas and suggestions are appreciated-thanks in advance!

Jd1 28-02-2018 11:50

Re: Hookah System for maintenance/inspection/recreation--Practical?

Use 50 ft of hose ....

Sailon1 28-02-2018 12:53

Yes, longer hose lengths are available. In any case, still would like to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of hookah vs wearing tank.

Jim Cate 28-02-2018 13:31

My own definition of a hookah system does not involve a high pressure tank, but rather a low pressure compressor running full time to supply breathing air. The system you describe has little advantage to the cruiser, for you still need tank fills and have the encumbrance of hoses (which I find a real nuisance).

I've used a hookah on board for years and find it very useful. It is a commercially supplied 12 volt unit, but there have been several threads about DIY hookahs that can be built for reasonable prices.

Jim

JPA Cate 28-02-2018 13:36

With regard to what Jim wrote above, I'd like to add that the easier to use Search function here on CF is the "Google Custom Search": it is able to search on concepts, whereas the regular search is case sensitive and requires an exact match, so the Google one is way easier to use, IME. It is located beneath the Search button on the bar at the top of the page.

Ann

Simi 60 28-02-2018 13:49

My diy hookah paid for itself yesterday clearing the raw water intake.
Very easy and cheap to make.

Silverfox 01-03-2018 10:07

I used a hookah set for the first time last season for maintenance and underwater inspection. Overall very pleased. I have around 50 ft of hose and a 50 ft extension(not used the extension yet).

My set up is a deck mounted compressor connected to the boat's service batteries. The compressor pressurises a floating buffer air tank and then there is a line to my demand set.

I was surprised how easy life is under the boat once you get neutral buoyancy sorted out

I did consider building my own but in the end, decided I didn't have enough knowledge of the compressor and pipework standards required to ensure uncontaminated air, so bought from a reputable supplier.

I also considered buying a scuba set but decided against because I didn't want to have the concern of recharging the tanks with unknown suppliers in pretty remote places.

Finally I would not recommend that anyone uses these devices unless : -

1. They are a confident swimmer
2. They have had some training
3. They fully understand the depth constraints on diver and of the compressor

The world changes in a heartbeat if you snag your mask and it fills with water or you snag your airpipe and lose your mouthpiece or you have a coughing fit - even if you are just 6ft beneath the surface. Knowing what to do really matters.

Would I make the same decision again? Yep, I am delighted.

dick sargent 01-03-2018 11:02

Prefer hookah over scuba . Invaluable piece of equipment.

LeeV 01-03-2018 11:17

Like buying a boat, it depends solely on your usage. I dive and am an amateur u/w photographer, so I'll put a 12v dive compressor on the boat and have 2 tanks. Can clean or fix the boat, and dive when I want.

Diesel Bill 01-03-2018 11:17

I wish I had my Hooka set up 2 years ago when we got kelp wrapped in the props and shafts coming up from Baja. Invaluable piece of gear for any boat.

Scout 30 01-03-2018 12:31

I've got a 12 volt unit that I use to clean the bottom & pull or clear the prop when necessary. Sure is nice to have when you need it.

LeeV 01-03-2018 12:45

Which one do you have? I have a friend who doesn't scuba dive but is interested in a reliable small 12v for just those things.

Dave22q 01-03-2018 13:35

Think you are confusing two different thing. Scuba delivers pressurised air from tanks via a regulator. Most use a compressor to refill the tanks. Hoka delivers air from a compressor directly to the diver via hose and depth is very limited.

LeeV 01-03-2018 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave22q (Post 2588068)
Think you are confusing two different thing. Scuba delivers pressurised air from tanks via a regulator. Most use a compressor to refill the tanks. Hoka delivers air from a compressor directly to the diver via hose and depth is very limited.

If youíre speaking to me, Iím well aware having owned both. I was asking which 12v hookah he has that he obviously likes because a friend of mine doesnít dive, erego he doesnít need a dive compressor, but is looking for a hookah to clean his boat. Iíve not had one for years and donít know whatís currently available.

Bean Counter 01-03-2018 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave22q (Post 2588068)

The OP may be referring to the accumulator tank

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Accumulator....c100011.m1850