Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Georgia's Warm, Right? Not Today! (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/georgias-warm-right-not-today-195610.html)

chasm 03-01-2018 09:21

Georgia's Warm, Right? Not Today!

3 Attachment(s)
Woke up to freezing temps and rain/sleet this morning. The whole north side of the boat is covered in a sheet of ice.

Many schools and gov't offices are closed for the day. There was a wreck on the bridge next to the marina this morning because of icy road conditions.

Heater's cranked, not driving anywhere today. :thumb:

#GoDawgs!

redhead 03-01-2018 12:17

Re: Georgia's Warm, Right? Not Today!

Walking on the docks is very dicey in this weather. We're way out on the dock (1/4 mile up to the top of the dock) and I use crampons and wear my life vest when I have to leave after an ice storm. Be careful!

Tayana42 03-01-2018 13:43

Yes, its cold here in Southern California too. Just barely broke 70f today. And there are clouds...

chasm 03-01-2018 13:53

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by redhead (Post 2548003)
Walking on the docks is very dicey in this weather. We're way out on the dock (1/4 mile up to the top of the dock) and I use crampons and wear my life vest when I have to leave after an ice storm. Be careful!

Roger that. Thanks @redhead.
I was just out checking docklines and snapped these photos. Icicles are growing longer!

chasm 03-01-2018 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tayana42 (Post 2548049)
Yes, its cold here in Southern California too. Just barely broke 70f today. And there are clouds...

Hah! Jealous. Hope you can stay warm!

misfits 03-01-2018 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tayana42 (Post 2548049)

That's too funny,
It's finally warm in New Hampshire today, 26F.

Tayana42 03-01-2018 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasm (Post 2548058)
Hah! Jealous. Hope you can stay warm!

Wool socks help.

Jim Cate 03-01-2018 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tayana42 (Post 2548190)
Wool socks help.

One of the reasons for owning a cruising boat is to NEVER have to wear socks again!

Jim

PS It has almost worked, too!

daletournier 03-01-2018 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cate (Post 2548212)
One of the reasons for owning a cruising boat is to NEVER have to wear socks again!

Jim

PS It has almost worked, too!

Man, I couldn't agree more. I know I'm successful when everyday I can look down and see nothing but skin I my feet.

weavis 04-01-2018 00:44

Just yesterday, I bought 2 new pairs of socks-for emergencies- and threw out a bunch of old ones.
Winter and summer here I dont wear socks...slip on shoes for town and for going on deck to remove quickly. Never in the house.

Here in Spain there is a fetish about wearing socks and shoes in the house.. " you will get sick from the cold tiled floor if you dont!".

Ahuh....

Seabeau 04-01-2018 02:18

The temperatures here this week, on the normally balmy US Southeast coast have seen record shattering low temperatures, with many coastal homes and businesses experiencing frozen water pipes and widespread electrical power losses due to a ice and snow event of approx. eight hour duration. Its so strange to see ice and snow atop palm trees.

valhalla360 04-01-2018 02:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasm (Post 2547882)
Woke up to freezing temps and rain/sleet this morning. The whole north side of the boat is covered in a sheet of ice.

Many schools and gov't offices are closed for the day. There was a wreck on the bridge next to the marina this morning because of icy road conditions.

Heater's cranked, not driving anywhere today. :thumb:

#GoDawgs!

And in Detroit, the high today will be 14F...that's not Celsius.

A little ice on the road is a shrug and head off to work. If it's less than 6-8" of snow, life just goes on.

So yeah, Georgia is warm by comparison.

Of course, we got smart enough to leave in the Winter. Rome is quite nice today.

Suijin 04-01-2018 02:40

Definitely be careful on icy docks. When I was a live aboard there were days in the winter when I simply did not leave the boat; between ice on the dock and low water, getting off the boat was simply just not worth the risk. The ice on the docks make them like a skating rink and even with crampons you were taking your life in your hands and there was no one around to help if you fell in to the 34 degree water. Always seemed like one or two boaters on the bay bought it during winter from falling in getting on or off their boat after an ice storm.

GordMay 04-01-2018 02:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cate (Post 2548212)
One of the reasons for owning a cruising boat is to NEVER have to wear socks again!...

In Thunder Bay; we'd be happy to not wear socks to bed.
-21F (-30C), Wind Chill -42 @ 4:40 this AM. Today predicted to be mostly sunny, high of -8F.
Normals: Max 16F. Min -4F.
Lowest temperature (1942-2004): -27.9F 1942.
https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-...?unit=imperial

GordMay 04-01-2018 03:59

FWIW ➥ Why has it been so cold? Here's what science says - Technology & Science - CBC News