Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Europe & Mediterranean (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   First Charter in Croatia (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f17/first-charter-in-croatia-193492.html)

jimp1234 09-11-2017 16:48

First Charter in Croatia

We're thinking about doing a charter in Croatia next spring or fall. We're doing some land travel as well so the boat charter will only be 6 or 7 days and given it's likely only my wife and myself, we'd be looking to charter a 30 - 35 ft monohull. So, any recommended itineraries given this is a short trip? Better to charter out of Dubrovnik or should we look at Split or Trogir? Which islands/towns are "must-sees"? TIA

-Jim

alex_sauvage 09-11-2017 17:02

Re: First Charter in Croatia

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimp1234 (Post 2515738)
We're thinking about doing a charter in Croatia next spring or fall. We're doing some land travel as well so the boat charter will only be 6 or 7 days and given it's likely only my wife and myself, we'd be looking to charter a 30 - 35 ft monohull. So, any recommended itineraries given this is a short trip? Better to charter out of Dubrovnik or should we look at Split or Trogir? Which islands/towns are "must-sees"? TIA

-Jim

Dubrovnik is probably too far for one week. I would recommend Trogir or Split. Places to visit: Split, Trogir, Vis, Korcula, Hvar...one week is pretty short ...what do you want to see inland? I would stretch your sailing time if possible: most interesting places are along the shore, except Pletvica and Zagreb

Bean Counter 09-11-2017 17:18

We did a one way charter from Trogir to Dubrovnik in a week on a Lagoon 380, just the two of us. Had a great trip, loved the place and the islands, local wine, Dalmation bacon, local fare, saw most of the hot spots Viz, Hvar etc. If you go in shoulder season getting a mooring ball or stern to dock should not be difficult. If you want to anchor make sure the boat they give you has a decent anchor, we got a small danforth as our main anchor which was useless (I should have looked at the anchor before we left but were in a rush). The charter companies usually have a suggested itinerary.

Have fun

Kenomac 09-11-2017 17:28

Dalmatian bacon is to die for, itís worth making the trip just to taste the bacon. Itís too bad we canít bring back 10 kilos of the stuff when we return to the US.:biggrin:

arsenelupiga 09-11-2017 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenomac (Post 2515760)
Dalmatian bacon is to die for, itís worth making the trip just to taste the bacon. Itís too bad we canít bring back 10 kilos of the stuff when we return to the US.:biggrin:

please check your blood pressure.

SVTwilight 09-11-2017 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex_sauvage (Post 2515748)
Dubrovnik is probably too far for one week. I would recommend Trogir or Split. Places to visit: Split, Trogir, Vis, Korcula, Hvar...one week is pretty short ...what do you want to see inland? I would stretch your sailing time if possible: most interesting places are along the shore, except Pletvica and Zagreb

That is a great itinerary. We just did it in May...

iliohale 10-11-2017 10:11

We did a 7 day charter in early May of this year out of Pula and this was a fantastic week. We chartered from Pitter. Pula itself is a great place to visit and the stops we did were fantastic. The water was a little cold that early in the season and we had some rain but overall it was a great experience.

Pula to Unije to Mail Losinj to IIvoik to Rovinj and back to Pula with some nice lunch stops in isolated coves.

All of these were fantastic stops with great sites and restaurants. Longest leg was from IIvoik to Rovinj which was about a 10 hour sail on a 46 Cat.

Gary

CaptRory 10-11-2017 10:51

What about the summer months? July through Sept.? Is stern to really required...it's not my favorite.

iliohale 10-11-2017 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptRory (Post 2516084)
What about the summer months? July through Sept.? Is stern to really required...it's not my favorite.

For sure, summer months will likely be busy. In early May for us everyplace we went was pretty empty. We did have a Croatian Skipper on board who really knew the ins and outs of all the places we went. Stern to docking was the norm everywhere but it wasn't that big of an issue. All the marinas we stayed at the harbor master would meet us and hand us the bow lines and take our stern lines. We never needed to drop the anchor except in the anchorages we stopped at.

Jannie Radiance 10-11-2017 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimp1234 (Post 2515738)

-Jim

Split or Trogir.Go to Sibenik see the world war 2 submarine caves.Then Miles up the river to Krka National park and the cascading falls.
Vodice also a nice marina. That is my 5 cents.

Sunsetrider 10-11-2017 15:46

Any recommended charter companies for a cat?

herbert.dietz 10-11-2017 16:06

Have a look to
Mare Yachting#
in Sibenik they have about 30 cats fore charter

iliohale 10-11-2017 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunsetrider (Post 2516263)
Any recommended charter companies for a cat?

In Croatia? Pitter is likely the largest charter company there and has a variety of Cats in charter.

Gary

Jorge M 10-11-2017 19:18

I just spend the last september and the 2 first weeks of octubre sailing in Croatia and Kotor, Montenegro. Mi my respect, the must arť Split, Trogir, Korcula and Dubrovnik. Lot of other nice places. Only 4 days with enough wind to sail properly. Don't miss octopus and lamb understand the bell.
Buen viaje

MamaKube 11-11-2017 06:19

We did Split to Dubrovnikin a week with wise choice stops along the way. They assist you with stern to at every marina. Be sure to think about who has the helm and who will run the line from the marina wall to the boat. Might look fool for a video or watch it done first Dubrovnik is a solid two day visit. Walk the wall. ��

watevaworx 12-11-2017 01:52

I spent the last three years in Croatia with my own boat. I spent most of it
in the north on the Island of Ugljan at Preko Marina and loved it. You could contact them and ask for the contact details for Lubos who runs very reasonably priced charter boats out of the Marina . It's and easy trip south to most of the islands and the previous recommendation of Sibernic and Krka
are right on the money ( an must see.) You could make it south and back to Preko easily in a week . Have a great time you will not regret cruising there.

i-Zapp 06-12-2017 14:18

First post! Hello fellow cruisers!

We too are in the planning phase of a first-time Croatian charter and hope that this thread can help fill in the blanks (as it has some already). Looking at end of summer next year, for a group of 4-8, ages 26-55, mix of couples and singles.

Question 1: Itinerary
We are looking for a balance between it all - restaurants, clubs, beaches, and beautiful coastlines. If we could keep the daily sailing duration to less than 4 hours i think everyone on the boat would be happy, and gives us a nice opportunity to explore land.

Based on lots of forum and website reading (and above posts) it'd seem like Split would be a great port, with Hvar and Vis on the agenda. Unless there's a reason to question this plan, i think we'll focus on that.

Question 2: time of year
Hate to give up a precious week or two of our brief sailing season to sail elsewhere (like in the Carib during the winter), but it is what it is. Given that, would it be risky to plan mid / late September? Is swimming still comfortable? Are the crowds appreciably less?

Question 3: charter service (most important!)
The internet search engines would lead you to believe that Moorings, DreamYacht, Sunsail would be the most popular, but i wonder if that's because of the "smarts" in the algorythm that recognizes us as living on this side of the pond. We've chartered with Moorings, and although top notch, they seem to be VERY expensive in the Med.

I've looked up Pitter and danielis-yachting, but know NOTHING about them, let alone others that haven't even approached my radar.

Once we've honed in on a particular charter company and begun dialog with them, we can fine tune the port, itinerary, and time year.

Thanks Much!
George