Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Cruising & Voting in Florida (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/cruising-and-voting-in-florida-18865.html)

rleslie 30-08-2008 08:12

Cruising & Voting in Florida

We cruise from November 1 until May 1 each year. We consider Florida our home state and want to vote there, but we receive our mail via NATO in Sarasota, Fl. When we tried to register using Nato's address, Florida would not accept NATO's address, saying that it is a business address.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks

David M 30-08-2008 08:21

Is a post office box acceptable?

s/v 'Faith' 30-08-2008 08:40

I checked my County's supervisor of elections office.

Your eligibility to vote in FL is based on your "your current permanent residence address." I believe you can use a marina address if they will forward your mail, but a PO box does not appear to qualify.

You might have luck by contacting your party's office, since they will be motivated to help you figure out an address that you can use.

AnchorageGuy 30-08-2008 13:04

You need to use NATO's street address rather than the PO Box. We have used it for the past 12 years with no problem. Any marina address is alos a business. If you still have problems talk with NATO and I am sure they have a solution. Don't use C/O on any address. The other thing you need to do to resolve the problem is to apply for an absentee ballot even if you will be in the state, That should be no problem sending it to your mail forwarding.

rleslie 30-08-2008 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Baier (Post 200111)
You need to use NATO's street address rather than the PO Box. We have used it for the past 12 years with no problem. Any marina address is alos a business. If you still have problems talk with NATO and I am sure they have a solution. Don't use C/O on any address. The other thing you need to do to resolve the problem is to apply for an absentee ballot even if you will be in the state, That should be no problem sending it to your mail forwarding.

We do use the street address and do not use c/o. They rejected the registration because it is a business address.

Good suggestion to call the Republican HQ in that area. they should be able to offer some suggestions.

Thanks

AnchorageGuy 30-08-2008 17:26

But have you applied for an absentee ballot or simply tryed to register?

rleslie 02-09-2008 06:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Baier (Post 200153)
But have you applied for an absentee ballot or simply tryed to register?

I tried to register for the first time in Florida.

Reality Check 02-09-2008 10:41

If you run into problems getting registered in a county... file a complaint with the State. Go to Myflorida.com and do a search on topic... it also gives phone numbers you may use to resolve the issue faster. I know people who have gone directly to the Supervisor of Elections Office and talk direct to him... that will generally get the front desk office clerks to move on with the application. No is an easy answer for them but not for the Supervisor.

hellosailor 02-09-2008 12:16

rl, the question you don't seem to touch is whether you truly are a Florida resident as defined in the Florida Statutes:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2000->Ch0222->Section 17 : flsenate.gov

222.17 Manifesting and evidencing domicile in Florida.-- (1) Any person who shall have established a domicile in this state may manifest and evidence the same by filing in the office of the clerk of the circuit court for the county in which the said person shall reside, a sworn statement showing that he or she resides in and maintains a place of abode in that county which he or she recognizes and intends to maintain as his or her permanent home.

If you have a place to live in Florida, you should be able to provide a physical address that qualifies for a driver's license and voter registration. If you cannot provide a RESIDENTIAL address where mail can reach you--well, that's reason to challenge your claim of "residency" and refuse to register you to vote. You can register to vote at the same time that you get your driver's license, all that you will need to show is usually two pieces of mail addressed to you, at your residential address.

You'll need to register 29 days in advance of an election in order to vote in it, the cut-off is October 6th this year for the general election.

Of course, that may complicate anything you have registered in NC, including any other driver's license, insurance, and so on. Multiple residency can be a can of worms.

gettinthere 01-10-2008 18:46

contact ACORN, they'll help you vote again and again and again and again and again

CHQSkyBunny 02-10-2008 13:17

My fiancee and I live in Sarasota and were able to use the marina's address and they accepted that. We were previously registered in Orlando and just did a change of address and bam! it worked. No problem here. We put in for absentee ballot as we are airline crew and won't be around to vote in person. Good luck to you.

imagine2frolic 02-10-2008 13:29

HUD,

We're neighbors......lololoolololol...I am in GCS's too

amytom 02-10-2008 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by gettinthere (Post 211511)
contact ACORN, they'll help you vote again and again and again and again and again

Won't work: He's a Replublican. :)