Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Health, Safety & Related Gear (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f122/)
-   -   Rheumatoid Arthritis and Enbrel While Cruising (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f122/rheumatoid-arthritis-and-enbrel-while-cruising-184686.html)

Soulstice 12-05-2017 14:13

Rheumatoid Arthritis and Enbrel While Cruising

Hello All,

My wife and I are going to be departing August 2018 for long term cruising. We will be in Mx and S. America then heading across S. Pacific over several years. My wife has RA and takes Enbrel which is a refrigerated biologic medication. We have solved the issue of keeping the medication but our new issue is finding a health insurance that will cover the cost of this med while we are out. Does anyone take this medication and travel abroad? What insurances are available that could cover this without having to be committed to a full time job in order to obtain an insurance that can do this? Has anyone been able to procure Enbrel in other countries? Her changing this medication is not an option. Thank you all....

Due Diligence 12-05-2017 15:47

Re: Rheumatoid Arthritis and Enbrel While Cruising

Hi there Soulstice
You need to change your citizenship here to Oz You can get Enbrel as cheap as $38.80 even as low as $6.00. That is without Health Insurance. If you are really poor you get All medications for $6.00. We do have a good health system. I also have RA but nowhere near as severe as yours Mine is controlled by Arava only. Hope you find a solution.

Soulstice 12-05-2017 16:29

Thank you Due Diligence,

Not unrealistic with the current heading of our healthcare continuum. Do you happen to know if there is anyway to purchase this medication in OZ if not a citizen? Thank you for your reply every little bit helps.

Due Diligence 12-05-2017 16:55

I'll look into it and get back to you

UNCIVILIZED 12-05-2017 18:26

Soulstice, where are you based? As in your home country.

JPA Cate 12-05-2017 21:29

As an American citizen in Australia, if you go to a "compounding chemist" here in Oz, he or she is allowed to dispense medications for a ship's medicine chest. I do not know about the specific one you require, you'd have to check on availability. Then, you just have to pay money.

The other way, is to go to a GP, get him/her to write you a prescription, based on the dose you have from the US doc, take it to any "chemist" (what we call a pharmacy), and buy it.

Citizenship doesn't enter into it, but a valid passport with pre-obtained visa for each of you definitely does.

Ann

kryg 13-05-2017 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED (Post 2391901)
Soulstice, where are you based? As in your home country.

Re your quote on life;

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.

True observation on the struggles of life, normally one fails to deliver for one's self can be attributed to 3rd parties who interfere from keeping one's promise to oneself thru their own daily agenda. Some people like to say
I was busy carrying out my life plan's when Life got in the way.

Alastair A 14-05-2017 03:00

Hi Soulstice and all. I have been on Embrel for some years in Australia for Soriatic Arthritis (not quite the same). I am "off it" just now (last 12 months). It is a long and hard road for Australians to local qualify for $ assistance with this very pricey med'. I wish that I could advise you better. I will assist/inquire, local, if you request/advise me. Best wishes and care. A.

GordMay 14-05-2017 04:33

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Soulstice & Due Dilligence.

rmlarson1098 15-05-2017 03:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulstice (Post 2391832)
Thank you Due Diligence,

Not unrealistic with the current heading of our healthcare continuum. Do you happen to know if there is anyway to purchase this medication in OZ if not a citizen? Thank you for your reply every little bit helps.

We considered 'retiring' in New Zealand (as U.S. citizens) a couple of years back, but that doesn't work unless you're quite wealthy. Our research showed that we needed 1.6 million to do so; 1 million in a escrow account to cover health care costs, another $600,000 deposited in a bank account. If you picked up a Work Visa (and went to work) I don't think this applied. First-world countries aren't that keen on a bunch of geezers rolling in and living off their fine social medical systems!
My wife's Enbrel was around $40 U.S. 2 years ago in Panama.