Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Internet in far away areas? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/internet-in-far-away-areas-182739.html)

softdown 05-04-2017 06:16

Internet in far away areas?

Spending an hour/day watching youtubes of liveaboards, I wonder where they get their internet connection. One fellow was paying $1.50/hour for Cuban internet cards that allowed usage. That would get expensive fast.

How about Hughes satellite? Is that global? Everyone says it is slow. Yet it is the only thing available in many remote locations.

The more I think about it, the more attractive it becomes to spend a lot of time around the Keys. . Until hurricane season anyway. Life without Costco worries me a bit.

bvander 05-04-2017 06:26

Re: Internet in far away areas?

Cruising not for everyone.
Must be able to survive at times with limited connectivity, no box stores and occasionally no cell service.

boatman61 05-04-2017 06:30

Just about every Café/Bar/Restaurant (that most cruisers would use) around the world has Internet these days.. just go in, order a drink/coffee and sandwich whatever and get the password.
Or get a local Sim.. Cuba is expensive as its only recently kicked in and is controlled.
Bloggers do all their video editing etc offline then just post it from a 'Free' location I'd imagine.
I was paying 5euro/GB in Spain for on the boat access.

wyb2 05-04-2017 06:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 2364457)
Or get a local Sim.. Cuba is expensive as its only recently kicked in and is controlled.

This is our (tentative) plan for internet on the boat. Many places I've been outside the states it seems like pre-loaded GSM SIM cards are very common. Seems easy enough to keep a hot-spot compatible unlocked GSM phone and buy as much (or as little) data as you want as you go along. As long as you keep your usage reasonable, should be way cheaper than carrying an international data plan.

Sounds like it works in Spain. Anyone have experience doing this in the Caribbean?

a64pilot 05-04-2017 06:53

Unless your a serious money bags, forget Satellite internet. I mean serious money, I think thousands per month maybe?
Best bet I think is cellular and a booster, maybe. I have a Wirie Pro, not sure it was worth the $$ yet though.
Wifi range extender hasn't improved anything I can tell, and so far in the US, the phone's hotspot feature has worked well so no need for the cell portion of the thing yet, maybe that will change in the Bahamas though

Pete7 05-04-2017 07:08

Fleet broadband is about $18 per Mb. Won't be many cruisers who can afford that.

Inmarsat FleetBroadband

Inmarsat FleetBroadband Airtime (Post Pay) - Communication - MailASail

Sea Dreaming 05-04-2017 07:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by a64pilot (Post 2364468)
Unless your a serious money bags, forget Satellite internet. I mean serious money, I think thousands per month maybe?
Best bet I think is cellular and a booster, maybe. I have a Wirie Pro, not sure it was worth the $$ yet though.
Wifi range extender hasn't improved anything I can tell, and so far in the US, the phone's hotspot feature has worked well so no need for the cell portion of the thing yet, maybe that will change in the Bahamas though

We have the wirie pro in Mexico. We have been very pleased with it. However, signal must be line of sight so there are plenty of places where it's not useful. But it does make nearly useless signals useful. : )

MarkJ 05-04-2017 07:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by bvander (Post 2364454)
Cruising not for everyone.
Must be able to survive at times with limited connectivity, no box stores and occasionally no cell service.

Cruising is not for everyone.

Or put in another way "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."

And that's kinda what makes cruising great ☺

a64pilot 05-04-2017 07:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming (Post 2364481)
We have the wirie pro in Mexico. We have been very pleased with it. However, signal must be line of sight so there are plenty of places where it's not useful. But it does make nearly useless signals useful. : )

I haven't really put it to use yet, gut feeling is the best feature with it won't become apparent until I get a sim card in it and start using the cell portion, we haven't left yet and the phone works fine so I have not done it yet.
Wifi in my Marina is absolutely useless, I though the booster would help, but it didn't, just crap Wifi, 24/7 day, night weekends doesn't matter. Same with their TV cable, signal is so bad its not usable, sort of false advertising in a way.

Stu Jackson 05-04-2017 07:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by softdown (Post 2364451)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Life without Costco worries me a bit.

Almost reminds me of the couple who lived on a remote island. They'd go shopping once a month. They got home one night, and Betsy says to Ron: "You doofus, you forgot the gallon of rum! How am I gonna get along with you for the next 40 days without my wee dram every night?!?"

Look, being self-reliant has a lot of different angles to it.

Things are "different" when you're "out there."

When we brought our boat up from SF to Vancouver Island last summer, we spent an enjoyable five days in Lapush, WA before the weather calmed down enough for us to round Cape Flattery. We had AT&T phones, all they had there was Verizon. And no pay phones in town, with no wireless in the marina. What were we to do?!? How could we possibly survive? We did, no big deal. When we rounded the Cape and pulled into Neah Bay, same thing, but the marina let us use their phone to call home and tell the family we were OK. On the way up we used marina wifi and the phone as a hotspot. The biggest drawback was missing the marine forecast, but we got it from the harbormaster and the CG. Others have VHF cruisers nets every day, or you learn weather yourself.

You are no longer at home. :facepalm:

Get over it. :smile:

We have an Alpha with a powered USB extender. Only helps with weak wifi signals in marina where they give you the pw, since 99% of wifi signals are encrypted anyway so no free lunch anymore, been that way for 10 years now.

Many, many blogs cover communications. You need to do some more homework and research. Been discussed here on this forum hundreds of times. Look in the electronics & communications sections.

zeehag 05-04-2017 07:58

i want sea dreamings wirie pro.
i use marina internet and i use telkcel 4g service, which does n ot allow much usage...only 4 g of 4g service monthly.
i donot do videos. i do load pix occasionally. when i have adecent connection, which does not exist at the marina i am now occupying.

leave your red shoesies home-- there is no kansas out here....

softdown 05-04-2017 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 2364457)
Just about every Café/Bar/Restaurant (that most cruisers would use) around the world has Internet these days.. just go in, order a drink/coffee and sandwich whatever and get the password.
Bloggers do all their video editing etc offline then just post it from a 'Free' location I'd imagine.

Nice, reasoned response.....thank you. Many people drive me nuts, I do not plan to use slips and moors when avoidable. Easy to do with a good dinghy though internet connectivity will be problematic.

Preparing to go liveaboard is really quite a challenge. Giving myself 2-3 years and still feel a bit rushed. Just bought a 26' S2 for experience with a medium sized sailboat. Now to get it from San Francisco to southern Colorado! Good times!

DMCantor 05-04-2017 08:49

In the Caribbean, we use a MiFi device. This is a data-only link to the cell-phone system, you get a local WiFi link as long as you are in cell-phone range. Digicel will sell you a prepaid SIM card that works equally well on Grenada, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, St. Lucia and Dominica, or another SIM card that works on St. Kitts&Nevis, Antigua, Anguilla. You can also get SIMS that work on Guadeloupe, Martinique, or St. Martin. This solution gives us much better bandwidth than trying to connect to the WiFi hotspots. Even WiFi in restaurants can be excruciatingly slow.

hamburking 05-04-2017 09:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyb2 (Post 2364467)
This is our (tentative) plan for internet on the boat. Many places I've been outside the states it seems like pre-loaded GSM SIM cards are very common. Seems easy enough to keep a hot-spot compatible unlocked GSM phone and buy as much (or as little) data as you want as you go along. As long as you keep your usage reasonable, should be way cheaper than carrying an international data plan.

Sounds like it works in Spain. Anyone have experience doing this in the Caribbean?

Thats how they were doing it in Antigua when i was there. Sims were available everywhere...bars, stores, marina office...$20 each.

dberdou 05-04-2017 09:43

Hello
interesting post since many of us need internet access for work while travelling
I plan to liveaboard soon and found this product
https://miowifi.com/en/coverage/
looks interesting and will probably try it
anyone in the forum knows about it?
any further recommendations?
thanks for your input
rgds
daniel

BWSJWS 05-04-2017 11:28

We live aboard in Mexico and are connected pretty much 24/7. We use a Telcel chip with a data plan and a great device called Neptulink. Put the same m. Are in Neptulink and brown ad set that around the boat via wifi. Phone and computers always connected. Absolutely the best.

Paul L 05-04-2017 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by dberdou (Post 2364577)
Hello
interesting post since many of us need internet access for work while travelling
thanks for your input
rgds
daniel

Looks like they want $150 a month for unlimited data.

sailingforfun 05-04-2017 11:42

Caribbean Internet = Patience.

Just spent the last year all around the Caribbean and it made us realize how great we have it in the US. Trying to keep a blog with pictures current is mind numbing.

Our first line of use was the marina's internet service. If we had a bad slip position we used a wifi extender. This was helpful 50% of the time. Failing that a local bar or coffee shop. The last resort was our KVH satellite. The KVH works awesome, anytime, anywhere, but it can do some serious damage on your pocket book. Tried to keep it's usage to weather reports only, but failed that rule many times.

toddster8 05-04-2017 11:58

The scramble for content being what it is, several of those vlogers have addressed this issue. One group seems to beg internet time at the homes of people that they meet. One recently showed a "really good 4g" connection near a cafe - it only took three hours to upload their video (!) while they had a leisurely meal.

Satellite access appears to be on the verge of great changes, but who knows how much it will cost? The Iridium Next constellation should be completed within a year - the rumor is this will mean worldwide 3G speeds. Elon Musk is trying to license a new worldwide satellite service that he thinks will be so great that the profits will pay for Mars colonization! But all of that is Tomorrow, not Today.

zeehag 05-04-2017 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWSJWS (Post 2364629)
We live aboard in Mexico and are connected pretty much 24/7. We use a Telcel chip with a data plan and a great device called Neptulink. Put the same m. Are in Neptulink and brown ad set that around the boat via wifi. Phone and computers always connected. Absolutely the best.

please divulge more info regarding that n word you tossed of so flippantly(neptulink). i liveaboard and cruise mexico and cannot get the equipment to reliably function.
i need something that will ensure connection, as signals are usually not an issue.
where is it available to purchase?? and does it amplify th emarina wifi or how does it work?? thankyou
ps where are you located?

FilBrown 05-04-2017 12:28

There is a satellite service called Spot which allows you to send text messages and allows friends to track your voyages.
Apart from the initial cost to buy the kit it's around $150 for a years subscription.

ejs 05-04-2017 12:40

Hi,

Careful, Spot doesn't work in the middle of the ocean, look at their coverage map. Inreach is similar and does. It works well (on Iridium sats) but is 160 character texts only.

In general, solutions that work everywhere are much more expensive than local solutions. Find out what the locals do. Sometimes it has been a WiFi passcode and a booster and sometimes it has been a GSM SIM and a phone hotspot. It depends where you are. My 0.02 sailing San Francisco to New Zealand over three years.

Eric

zeehag 05-04-2017 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by FilBrown (Post 2364680)
There is a satellite service called Spot which allows you to send text messages and allows friends to track your voyages.
Apart from the initial cost to buy the kit it's around $150 for a years subscription.

spots interwebzz are via globalstar--unreliable and sloooowwww last time i researched. might be better now, but it also costs more than the tracker service which is 150 with emergency message capabilities.
i use the 150 usd annually tracker service, so momma can feed bubba should i disappear

ranchero76 05-04-2017 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 (Post 2364475)
Fleet broadband is about $18 per Mb. Won't be many cruisers who can afford that.

Inmarsat FleetBroadband

Inmarsat FleetBroadband Airtime (Post Pay) - Communication - MailASail

$130 for 15MB of data and 250min of voice. Actually, it's not too bad - 15MB should be enough to get weather updates (if done carefully). Other than that - it looks like it will take another 30 years to make Internet at sea affordable. Not surprising - all the money spent on weapons and wars

BWSJWS 05-04-2017 13:12

Internet in far away areas?

The n word is Neptulink. It is antenna which picks up a 3G/4G/5G signal 20nm out from line of site of a cell tower and will boost a wifi signal all in one. Probably costs about 1500.00USD but for us who work every day on the internet and use video conferencing it is a must and well worth the expense. I have it mounted on a stainless steel pole at the aft of my 40ftOA custom Bruce Roberts cold molded cutter Ingenium AND when we do not have cell connectivity on our phones this will boost the signal and pick it up from further away. Especially out at sea. We are in Tenacatita right now.

Livia 05-04-2017 14:15

We were surprised how often we found wifi in the Pacific. It depends a lot on how remote you like being. We spent months without internet in French Polynesia but that was because we were enjoying it.

By the time you get to Tonga/Fiji/New Cal you can get cellular internet when anchored near the main islands.

JeffBurnes 05-04-2017 14:23

Try David Walker. He has a company called Wifi Onboard, which offers both WIFI and 4G/3G connectivity solutions for Marine purposes.

David has a background in telecommunications, he is a keen sailor and has spent a lot of time cruising in the Caribbean.

He will recommend a solution to suit your needs and provide the hardware.

https://www.wifionboard.co.uk/

toddster8 05-04-2017 14:24

Expectations can be funny things. At least ten years ago, I helped relatives of a friend move back to PNW from Thailand. They were shocked at the primitive state of cellular coverage in the USA. "What do you mean, I can't tether my computer to my cell phone? What century are you living in?"
The US isn't exactly on the cutting edge of these things.

LLizzard 05-04-2017 14:40

Here is the Neptulink brochure I found online
https://www.mvg-world.com/en/system/f...b_01_16_md.pdf

Here is a Cruising World article comparing various systems.
On Board WiFi: Get Connected | Cruising World

Seems like all of a sudden there are multiple options even before Musk and others roll out "low cost" satellite service.

buzzstar 05-04-2017 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by softdown (Post 2364451)
Spending an hour/day watching youtubes of liveaboards, I wonder where they get their internet connection. One fellow was paying $1.50/hour for Cuban internet cards that allowed usage. That would get expensive fast.

Back in the day, a buck & a half was inexpensive, and the blessing was it was there if you really needed it, and not there if you did not. Mostly, it was not needed.

softdown 05-04-2017 16:21

Quote:

Hello
thanks for your input
rgds
daniel

Use MIOWIFI in more than 110 countries. If your country isn’t on the list, please contact us.

Pretty strong list of countries if you don't visit Africa or the Middle East. But how well does it work in various locations? I think many sailors deliberately go to less well developed areas.

softdown 05-04-2017 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWSJWS (Post 2364629)

Mexico is a large country. Sea of Cortez would interest many of us.

softdown 05-04-2017 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by toddster8 (Post 2364788)
Expectations can be funny things. At least ten years ago, I helped relatives of a friend move back to PNW from Thailand. They were shocked at the primitive state of cellular coverage in the USA. "What do you mean, I can't tether my computer to my cell phone? What century are you living in?"
The US isn't exactly on the cutting edge of these things.

Perhaps Ranchero76 summed it up: "Not surprising - all the money spent on weapons and wars"

StuM 05-04-2017 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by softdown (Post 2364877)
Use MIOWIFI in more than 110 countries. If your country isn’t on the list, please contact us.

Pretty strong list of countries if you don't visit Africa or the Middle East. But how well does it work in various locations? I think many sailors deliberately go to less well developed areas.

Spot on! It's not how many countries, it's how much of a country.

It lists several countries in Oceania, but for most of them, it won't work outside of major urban areas - which in many cases is just one or two towns/cities. If you're cruising the islands, the only time it is likely to work is when checking in/out of the country at the Port of Entry.

squirty34 06-04-2017 00:20

Have a look in the technology section but we use a Ubiquitous bullet to latch onto WiFi networks. Go buy a coffee, get the password and then connect from up to 150 metres away and then connect to cheap cable router to set it up as a boat hotspot so all our devices can connect.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Naughty Cat 06-04-2017 08:00

At the low tech end of this discussion get an unlocked dongle rather than relying on using your phone as a hotspot. They are dirt cheap but do a far better job as an antennae and relay - basically because that is all they do. You can put them higher up easily while in use and use your phone/device wherever you want on board.

Interesting thread by the way for the most part.

donradcliffe 06-04-2017 08:27

The last time I was in my favorite cruising spots, they didn't have electricity or telephone service, let alone internet connections. If I wanted to communicate, it was the SSB or satellite. What is it like today in places like Double Waterfall Bay??

Rigdaddy 06-04-2017 10:09

Quote:

Hello
thanks for your input
rgds
daniel

I'm interested too; would like to hear from anyone who has tried this.

sailcrazy 07-04-2017 06:20

After cruising in the Medd for 3+ years, we've gone a little different way. Knowing that there are 2 different sets of frequencies (the US, and the most of the rest of the world), you need equipment that will work on the frequencies used where you're cruising. We found a digital ant and mounted it on the masthead(better range), ran LMR400 down the mast to a selectable pair of Wilson 12vDC cell amps(one for ea freq set), then to a MIFI. In the Medd we found that buying a MIFI from the local telecon company seemed to work better than a "one size fits all" (in the correct freq bands), and they were not that expensive. Then we bought local SIM data cards, and had pretty much any-where-we-were WiFi throughout the boat. Got here to the Caribb, and have done the same thing-ATT MiFi for the US-based islands, and a Digicel MiFi, as Digicel is in almost all the windward/leeward islands. The only issue so far....except for ATT, we need to go ashore and find the Cell phone store to top up the data card when it runs out...ATT has a refil on-line procedure.

Junk Viking 11-04-2017 12:10

DigiCell top-up app

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailcrazy (Post 2366076)
. . Got here to the Caribb, and have done the same thing-ATT MiFi for the US-based islands, and a Digicel MiFi, as Digicel is in almost all the windward/leeward islands. The only issue so far....except for ATT, we need to go ashore and find the Cell phone store to top up the data card when it runs out...ATT has a refil on-line procedure.

DigiCell has a top-up app so you can put money in a specific number's account.
Then you activate on the phone.
Done it (too) many time on my iPhone ;-)