Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Internet in far away areas? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/internet-in-far-away-areas-182739.html)

softdown 05-04-2017 16:21

Re: Internet in far away areas?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dberdou (Post 2364577)
Hello
interesting post since many of us need internet access for work while travelling
I plan to liveaboard soon and found this product
https://miowifi.com/en/coverage/
looks interesting and will probably try it
anyone in the forum knows about it?
any further recommendations?
thanks for your input
rgds
daniel

Use MIOWIFI in more than 110 countries. If your country isnít on the list, please contact us.

Pretty strong list of countries if you don't visit Africa or the Middle East. But how well does it work in various locations? I think many sailors deliberately go to less well developed areas.

softdown 05-04-2017 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWSJWS (Post 2364629)
We live aboard in Mexico and are connected pretty much 24/7. We use a Telcel chip with a data plan and a great device called Neptulink. Put the same m. Are in Neptulink and brown ad set that around the boat via wifi. Phone and computers always connected. Absolutely the best.

Mexico is a large country. Sea of Cortez would interest many of us.

softdown 05-04-2017 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by toddster8 (Post 2364788)
Expectations can be funny things. At least ten years ago, I helped relatives of a friend move back to PNW from Thailand. They were shocked at the primitive state of cellular coverage in the USA. "What do you mean, I can't tether my computer to my cell phone? What century are you living in?"
The US isn't exactly on the cutting edge of these things.

Perhaps Ranchero76 summed it up: "Not surprising - all the money spent on weapons and wars"

StuM 05-04-2017 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by softdown (Post 2364877)
Use MIOWIFI in more than 110 countries. If your country isnít on the list, please contact us.

Pretty strong list of countries if you don't visit Africa or the Middle East. But how well does it work in various locations? I think many sailors deliberately go to less well developed areas.

Spot on! It's not how many countries, it's how much of a country.

It lists several countries in Oceania, but for most of them, it won't work outside of major urban areas - which in many cases is just one or two towns/cities. If you're cruising the islands, the only time it is likely to work is when checking in/out of the country at the Port of Entry.

squirty34 06-04-2017 00:20

Have a look in the technology section but we use a Ubiquitous bullet to latch onto WiFi networks. Go buy a coffee, get the password and then connect from up to 150 metres away and then connect to cheap cable router to set it up as a boat hotspot so all our devices can connect.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Naughty Cat 06-04-2017 08:00

At the low tech end of this discussion get an unlocked dongle rather than relying on using your phone as a hotspot. They are dirt cheap but do a far better job as an antennae and relay - basically because that is all they do. You can put them higher up easily while in use and use your phone/device wherever you want on board.

Interesting thread by the way for the most part.

donradcliffe 06-04-2017 08:27

The last time I was in my favorite cruising spots, they didn't have electricity or telephone service, let alone internet connections. If I wanted to communicate, it was the SSB or satellite. What is it like today in places like Double Waterfall Bay??

Rigdaddy 06-04-2017 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by dberdou (Post 2364577)
Hello
interesting post since many of us need internet access for work while travelling
I plan to liveaboard soon and found this product
https://miowifi.com/en/coverage/
looks interesting and will probably try it
anyone in the forum knows about it?
any further recommendations?
thanks for your input
rgds
daniel

I'm interested too; would like to hear from anyone who has tried this.

sailcrazy 07-04-2017 06:20

After cruising in the Medd for 3+ years, we've gone a little different way. Knowing that there are 2 different sets of frequencies (the US, and the most of the rest of the world), you need equipment that will work on the frequencies used where you're cruising. We found a digital ant and mounted it on the masthead(better range), ran LMR400 down the mast to a selectable pair of Wilson 12vDC cell amps(one for ea freq set), then to a MIFI. In the Medd we found that buying a MIFI from the local telecon company seemed to work better than a "one size fits all" (in the correct freq bands), and they were not that expensive. Then we bought local SIM data cards, and had pretty much any-where-we-were WiFi throughout the boat. Got here to the Caribb, and have done the same thing-ATT MiFi for the US-based islands, and a Digicel MiFi, as Digicel is in almost all the windward/leeward islands. The only issue so far....except for ATT, we need to go ashore and find the Cell phone store to top up the data card when it runs out...ATT has a refil on-line procedure.

Junk Viking 11-04-2017 12:10

DigiCell top-up app

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailcrazy (Post 2366076)
. . Got here to the Caribb, and have done the same thing-ATT MiFi for the US-based islands, and a Digicel MiFi, as Digicel is in almost all the windward/leeward islands. The only issue so far....except for ATT, we need to go ashore and find the Cell phone store to top up the data card when it runs out...ATT has a refil on-line procedure.

DigiCell has a top-up app so you can put money in a specific number's account.
Then you activate on the phone.
Done it (too) many time on my iPhone ;-)