Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Insurance Question: Boat Not Available During Repairs (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/insurance-question-boat-not-available-during-repairs-179112.html)

dwedeking2 26-01-2017 08:53

Insurance Question: Boat Not Available During Repairs

Had a third party run into the boat recently. Just starting down the road of dealing with contractors and insurance companies. The one fiberglass contractor I've spoken with wants to pull the boat to do the repairs which means I won't be able to live on the boat during that time. My question is, has anyone had experience with this and will the insurance company cover a hotel/temp housing during this period? I'm going to ask for it, but I'm curious how hard I should hold to my guns about this. Thanks in advance.

a64pilot 26-01-2017 09:07

Re: Insurance Question: Boat Not Available During Repairs

I have not had experience with it either, however I believe if your house is rendered uninhabitable by a storm, the insurance co is liable to pay for you a place to live when repairs are made, sort of like your car has been wrecked, they rent you one until repairs are compete.
That is just my guess, of course it will depend completely on your insurance

Stumble 26-01-2017 10:37

It is 100% dependant on your insurance policy. Some will cover a hotel, others won't.

roverhi 26-01-2017 12:32

Find a yard that will let you stay aboard. Haven't had a problem with staying aboard. Maybe the yard wanted my. business to much to object.

Jim Cate 26-01-2017 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverhi (Post 2312470)
Find a yard that will let you stay aboard. Haven't had a problem with staying aboard. Maybe the yard wanted my. business to much to object.

Staying aboard during a repair that will involve lots of frp grinding is not a nice outlook, even if the yard permits it.

Compared to t he cost of the repair, a hotel room will be small potatoes and perhaps they'll go for it.

Jim

Scott Berg 26-01-2017 12:56

Our policy, the Jackline from Markel, covered the 1st 10,000 of living off the boat when we were damaged by a fire on a neighboring boat and were on the hard for 10 months. Great service

baycruiser 27-01-2017 12:54

Dont ever think you wont pay in the long run ins cos. stink unless it is a total and then most of those are owners fault but not many can face the truth better try to just rip us the rest of us who use ins. fairly and pay the increased ins premiums .When are we going to learn to just do our own repairs fairly and secure and take responsibility for our own homes/ boats and avoid marinas . There are not many if any repairs which would reqiure leaving your boat for any length of time .If f/glass is done properly there is very little glass dust except the first day after that it should be a minium and easy to control

Pete7 27-01-2017 13:16

Had a similar position with my charter boat that a yacht crashed into. My insurance company went after the culprits insurance company for the $10,000 repair costs and then compensation for loss of income for the boat being out of commission. So what does your insurance company say?

Pete

dwedeking2 27-01-2017 13:25

Pete7, I carry liability-only insurance on my boat. Even now I think the risk/reward for full coverage for my current situation (for the most part at dock as I work full time and only sail a couple times a month, in the middle of a restore so boat not a full value) isn't there. In a row of 9 boats on the dock, mine was the smallest and pulled in closest to the dock, just bad luck that he was able to knock down a piling, miss all the expensive boats on the dock and hit me.

I'm a planner by nature so having to wait on a "decision" that is out of my control drives me crazy so it's good for me to get some feedback on what happens in the real world.

Baycruiser, This type of situation is exactly what insurance is intended for. Someone was specifically at fault (not an act of god), I was not in motion or even at the boat which was secured to a dock slip so I should be made good. I feel comfortable that I could make good on the repairs if I had too, but a professional > me.

mike d. 27-01-2017 13:29

Get the trawlers insurance to pay for it ! Contact them, or have the trawler owner pay for it !

dmalcol1 27-01-2017 16:32

With my insurance policy live aboard is a $270 rider that covers your situation.