Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Crew Positions: Wanted & Available (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Crew Available: All around great guy with many skills (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f30/all-around-great-guy-with-many-skills-178946.html)

mohrland 22-01-2017 16:47

All around great guy with many skills

Hello,

Troy here, looking for something new in 2017. I'm a novice sailor, had my own Irwin 28 I sailed along the coast of Lake Michigan for a couple of seasons. I've crossed the Atlantic, med, Suez Canal, and into the Persian Gulf but it was on the USS Saipan while I was in the USMC. Now days I'm a electrical controls engineer. I have many skills including welding, communications equipment repair, electrical, plumbing, fiberglass, painting, and I'm even a great cook. Now I won't say I'm restaurant grade but I can whip up a home-style meal with whatever is on hand. My former colleagues refer to me as MacGyver because I can fix anything with nothing. I feel they are too kind but I do find a big feeling of accomplishment when I have the chance to save the day. If you need someone that is not a certified sailor but more of the guy that can and will get anything done then you should give me a try.

Pelagic 22-01-2017 17:41

Re: All around great guy with many skills

Hi Troy welcome to CF

Good introduction and a nice description of your skill sets

But ..
what exactly are you looking for?
Paid crew position or volunteer?
Cruising where?
How long can you commit for ?

That will help us to advise you

CSY Man 22-01-2017 21:50

Wow, great resume.
If you are female and easy on the eye, uh, I may have a berth for you..:wink:

GordMay 23-01-2017 05:45

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Troy.

Gafferfan 23-01-2017 06:23

Hi Troy,

From a fellow old "Devil Dog" welcome aboard and good luck!

You have the right attitude!

Semper Fi.

hamburking 23-01-2017 10:15

If you were female, you would have multiple offers for extended cruises.
And if you looked good in a bikini you would have offers of marriage.

What a terrible world we live in.

mohrland 23-01-2017 10:16

Thanks for the replies. I'm exploring a little bit here since I don't really understand what options are out there and where I might fit into those options.

I'm looking for a couple of things here. The first is short-term volunteer. I'd love the chance to test the waters in the Caribbean or Mexico. The ideal length would be for 1-2 weeks.

Now my long-term goal would be to find a paid position to provide income. I would ideally work up to that by multiple short-term gigs that possibly lead me to a long-term thing.

I appreciate any feedback and advice.

zengirl 23-01-2017 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamburking (Post 2310106)

You said it!

Pelagic 23-01-2017 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohrland (Post 2310108)

Now my long-term goal would be to find a paid position to provide income. I would ideally work up to that by multiple short-term gigs that possibly lead me to a long-term thing.

I appreciate any feedback and advice.

Someone with your technical background and military training is often in demand on the very large yachts .

Google SuperYacht Crewing Agencies and put in your CV free of cost.

Try and meet Agency face to face for an interview as most of them have worked as crew in the industry and can give you good personal advice.

Choices of sailing Superyacht range with smaller multifunctional crew of 7 or the 90m yachts with departmentalized crew of 30 .

Money can be very good if you can become part of a charter crew team and the people are fun to work with.

Sunsetrider 23-01-2017 15:32

Next year I (hope that) I will be seeking a volunteer to trade watches on a small (Albin 25) motor "yacht" for my crossing from Florida to Isla Mujeres. Destination Rio Dulce, Guatemala. Just and FYI out there!

mohrland 23-01-2017 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pelagic (Post 2310159)
Someone with your technical background and military training is often in demand on the very large yachts .

Google SuperYacht Crewing Agencies and put in your CV free of cost.

Try and meet Agency face to face for an interview as most of them have worked as crew in the industry and can give you good personal advice.

Choices of sailing Superyacht range with smaller multifunctional crew of 7 or the 90m yachts with departmentalized crew of 30 .

Money can be very good if you can become part of a charter crew team and the people are fun to work with.

Thanks for the info, I will definitely explore that option. There's a ton of them out there, any specific agencies known to be good?

brianlara 3 23-01-2017 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by zengirl (Post 2310130)
You said it!

Seriously SHALLOW.

Pelagic 23-01-2017 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohrland (Post 2310448)
Thanks for the info, I will definitely explore that option. There's a ton of them out there, any specific agencies known to be good?

Best if you can contact ones near you, but networking via internet, send out enquiries to all of them.

When I was still working full-time as a Superyacht Captain, I would send out an email to all of them with my needs.

ur2slo 23-01-2017 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamburking (Post 2310106)

Marriage hell, I'll give her da boat too! :smitten:

snort 23-01-2017 19:11

https://d28mt5n9lkji5m.cloudfront.net/i/a-3kOZTz3H.jpg

You'd be more attractive if you lost the hat.