Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Marine Electronics (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/)
-   -   Slow transition from Raymarine/Seatalk to B&G/NEMA2000 ? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/slow-transition-from-raymarine-seatalk-to-b-and-g-nema2000-178036.html)

BrettB 04-01-2017 11:24

Slow transition from Raymarine/Seatalk to B&G/NEMA2000 ?

Apologies for the semi repetitive topic. It sounds like this will work, based on other topics I've read, but I just wanted to double check.

We just purchased a 2007 Lagoon 380 S2 that is outfitted with original Raymarine gear including:
  • Raymarine E80 chartplotter at helm
  • Radar
  • SmartPilot
  • Tridata
  • ST60+ Wind
  • E80 at nav desk

I'd like to make a slow transition towards B&G & NEMA2000.

I am thinking about starting with:
  • Replace helm E80 with B&G Vulcan 9(maybe Zeus3 instead)
  • Replace Raymarine Radar with B&G 4G Radar
  • Leave SmartPilot, Tridata, ST60+ Wind at helm
  • Add ForwardScan
  • Add AIS
  • Primarily use tablet at navdesk
  • Leave E80 at navdesk as backup plotter

Thanks for the expertise! One day I'll also be a contributor. :biggrin:

leftbrainstuff 04-01-2017 14:23

Re: Slow transition from Raymarine/Seatalk to B&G/NEMA2000 ?

I'd avoid the slow transition.

Pull the bandaid off quickly.

We installed B&G Zeus2, 4g radar, forwardscan sonar, AIS, heading sensor, external gps, DST and an n2k Icom Vhf. Good integration between the zeus, radar, AIS and forwardscan.

We also built a custom new helm on our Liberty 458 to house the 12' Zeus and all controls for all systems in use underway. I'm glad we chose the 12' zeus. Anything smaller would be tedious to use imho.

We originally planned another zeus at the chart table but have found the gofree wifi to ipad good enough for an inside station. Zeus hdmi to the tv in the salon also provides a useful second non interactive display.

If you upgrade piecemeal you dont get the integrations.

We are seeing intermittent loss of depth from the DST thru hull sensor. The forwardscan conveniently acts as a backup depth sensor. We can replace the DST and forwardscan easily as they're thru hull installed and not permanently installed. These newer sensors seem to have some quality control issues.

I'll chase this as a warranty claim. We purchased all from Eric at Farralone Electronics. He's been great at chasing up a missing AIS power cable.

Pizzazz 04-01-2017 17:32

Re: Slow transition from Raymarine/Seatalk to B&G/NEMA2000 ?

I would just wait for another 3-4 years then upgrade. May be add AIS if you insist. I can't think of any added functionality of your proposed upgrade. Two connected displays is better than messing around with a tablet/PC and you can always add Raytech Navigator for the E80s.