Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Europe & Mediterranean (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Warning to Channel Sailors -- Warships on the Loose (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f17/warning-to-channel-sailors-warships-on-the-loose-174547.html)

Dockhead 20-10-2016 11:20

Warning to Channel Sailors -- Warships on the Loose
 
Just about now, a Russian task force including an aircraft carrier (Admiral Kuznetsov) and a huge battlecruiser (Peter the Great; together with her sister ships, the largest operational surface combat ship on earth), and various escorts, shadowed by several Royal Navy warships, will be entering the Dover Straits to transit the English Channel on their way to escalate the situation in Syria.


I think we can be sure that none of these vessels will be broadcasting AIS :)


Anyone sailing in the channel might want to keep your radar on, and keep a sharp watch. Methinks the bridge of Peter the Great is not going to pay much attention to Rule 8 :)

SV DestinyAscen 20-10-2016 11:23

Re: Warning to Channel Sailors -- Warships on the Loose
 
Where's the civilian auxiliary when you need them �� a few thousand boats plugging the strait would delay even the most indifferent naval captains.

delmarrey 20-10-2016 11:34

Re: Warning to Channel Sailors -- Warships on the Loose
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen (Post 2239251)
Where's the civilian auxiliary when you need them �� a few thousand boats plugging the strait would delay even the most indifferent naval captains.

Nah! Knowing the Ruskies, they'd just plow throw it. :popcorn:

svHyLyte 20-10-2016 12:42

Re: Warning to Channel Sailors -- Warships on the Loose
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dockhead (Post 2239244)
Just about now, a Russian task force including an aircraft carrier (Admiral Kuznetsov) and a huge battlecruiser (Peter the Great; together with her sister ships, the largest operational surface combat ship on earth), and various escorts, shadowed by several Royal Navy warships, will be entering the Dover Straits to transit the English Channel on their way to escalate the situation in Syria.


I think we can be sure that none of these vessels will be broadcasting AIS :)


Anyone sailing in the channel might want to keep your radar on, and keep a sharp watch. Methinks the bridge of Peter the Great is not going to pay much attention to Rule 8 :)

No worries. Even the Russians realize that a vessel under sail has the right or way, no?

SV Siren 20-10-2016 13:40

Re: Warning to Channel Sailors -- Warships on the Loose
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by svHyLyte (Post 2239306)
No worries. Even the Russians realize that a vessel under sail has the right or way, no?

Somehow I don't think that a ship in Putin's navy would yield to a sailboat in the way...only one way to find out and I am not volunteering..:whistling::whistling:

George DuBose 21-10-2016 08:33

Re: Warning to Channel Sailors -- Warships on the Loose
 
This is going to be a funny thread. Reminds me of this:

This is the transcript of a radio conversation of a US naval ship with Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October, 1995. Radio conversation released by the Chief of Naval Operations 10-10-95.
Americans: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a Collision.
Canadians: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.
Americans: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.
Canadians: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course.
Americans: This is the aircraft carrier USS Lincoln, the second largest ship in the United States' Atlantic fleet. We are accompanied by three destroyers, three cruisers and numerous support vessels. I demand that YOU change your course 15 degrees north, that's one five degrees north, or countermeasures will be undertaken to ensure the safety of this ship.
Canadians: This is a lighthouse. Your call.[2]

Va2shp 21-10-2016 08:52

Re: Warning to Channel Sailors -- Warships on the Loose
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by George DuBose (Post 2239811)
This is going to be a funny thread. Reminds me of this:

This is the transcript of a radio conversation of a US naval ship with Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October, 1995. Radio conversation released by the Chief of Naval Operations 10-10-95.
Americans: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid a Collision.
Canadians: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.
Americans: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.
Canadians: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course.
Americans: This is the aircraft carrier USS Lincoln, the second largest ship in the United States' Atlantic fleet. We are accompanied by three destroyers, three cruisers and numerous support vessels. I demand that YOU change your course 15 degrees north, that's one five degrees north, or countermeasures will be undertaken to ensure the safety of this ship.
Canadians: This is a lighthouse. Your call.[2]

I do not want to take your fun away, but this is an old joke, it is not a real transcript.

rpmbnsf 21-10-2016 08:53

Re: Warning to Channel Sailors -- Warships on the Loose
 
The lighthouse one is very funny, but of course totally false story that can be traced back 30 to 40 years.

Back to the original post, I'm sure the Russian are well aware of rule 8, but I sure would not not want to test it!

weavis 21-10-2016 08:55

Re: Warning to Channel Sailors -- Warships on the Loose
 
Sometimes it comes down to the simple fact that there is no one to stop them.

Cadence 21-10-2016 09:16

Re: Warning to Channel Sailors -- Warships on the Loose
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen (Post 2239251)
Where's the civilian auxiliary when you need them �� a few thousand boats plugging the strait would delay even the most indifferent naval captains.

Use wooden boats for a good supply of tooth picks. :biggrin:

Brewgyver 21-10-2016 09:35

Re: Warning to Channel Sailors -- Warships on the Loose
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpmbnsf (Post 2239838)
The lighthouse one is very funny, but of course totally false story that can be traced back 30 to 40 years.

Quite likely older than that! I've also heard it with other nations named.

sailon46 21-10-2016 10:01

Re: Warning to Channel Sailors -- Warships on the Loose
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewgyver (Post 2239882)
Quite likely older than that! I've also heard it with other nations named.

I have heard the story supposedly true that they were doing NATO naval exercises in the Med and the Turkish navy was suppose to do a mock exercise
beach landing in the island of Malta. They tried before GPS to navigate to Malta a number of times could not accomplish the task so they radioed to the commanding frigate of the exercise ,Malta yok, which translates something like Malta does not exist. Go figure.

Sofie B 21-10-2016 13:34

Re: Warning to Channel Sailors -- Warships on the Loose
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by weavis (Post 2239839)
Sometimes it comes down to the simple fact that there is no one to stop them.

Reading our local paper,

"The Kutznetsov was accompanied by the Kirov-class heavy missile cruiser Pyotr Velikiy, the Vice Admiral Kulakov and Severomorsk destroyers, and several supply ships, Sputnik news reported. The BBC said a submarine was also part of the fleet.

The Royal Navy's Type 45 destroyer HMS Duncan and Type 23 frigate HMS Richmond set off from Portsmouth on Tuesday to shadow the Russians from the Norwegian Sea into the Atlantic"

The Admiral Kutznetsov was belching black smoke, may need to fix that engine,

KJThomas 21-10-2016 13:38

Re: Warning to Channel Sailors -- Warships on the Loose
 
The lighthouse story actually dates back to Admiral Cloudesly Shovel and a fleet of wooden sailing ships. There was no lighthouse involved.
They hung the Master that told the Admiral he was wrong, just before the fleet hit the rocks. For even more Naval stupidity google the "Battle of Scapa flow". Where the UK sunk more of their own submarines than the Germans did.

pigpenzer0 22-10-2016 08:22

Re: Warning to Channel Sailors -- Warships on the Loose
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KJThomas (Post 2240128)
<snip>For even more Naval stupidity google the "Battle of Scapa flow". Where the UK sunk more of their own submarines than the Germans did.

Have been lurking here for some time but I must chip in on this.
The incident has the nickname of "The Battle Of May Island" and it was
in the Firth of Forth.
Doug - ex RN Submariner:smile:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:46.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.