Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Marine Electronics (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/)
-   -   Marine Radio Issue (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/marine-radio-issue-172530.html)

Beanctr 11-09-2016 11:45

Marine Radio Issue

Hi All, I have a Standard Horizon GX2200 VHF radio. My issue is as follows: In our sailing area I monitor channel 68. I frequently sail in the evenings and for some reason around 7:00pm my radio starts intermittently broadcasting weather channel 4.

This can be very annoying and I generally have to turn the radio volume way down.

Standard Horizon checked the radio and said it was fine and I was probably getting interference from something else on my boat.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?

I don't know if its related but it seem that with my Raymarine auto pilot on I can't use a hand-held VHF in my cockpit, too much static.

thanks, Rick

AnglaisInHull 11-09-2016 12:25

Re: Marine Radio Issue

Important weather announcements sometimes use MMSI to switch equipped receivers to a specific channel. But you should know if that's it by the alert signal that precedes the switch, and I wouldn't expect it on a regular basis.

Sea Dreaming 11-09-2016 12:28

Could it be your dental fillings?:whistling::popcorn:

Paul L 11-09-2016 14:14

Are you actually seeing the radio display say it is on WX4?

Scott Berg 11-09-2016 14:17

Agreed
Sounds like a weather announcement and it is auto switching
Is that a supported feature?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

FSMike 11-09-2016 18:25

It's a punishment for not monitoring ch. 16 lol.

CaptTom 12-09-2016 06:08

Oddly enough, there's a known bug with my B&G V50 VHF that randomly switches it to playing the weather channel, even while the display remains on a "regular" VHF channel.

I wonder if they share the same code?

The fix is simple. Just buy a $1,000 B&G chartplotter and install the firmware update from that, over the NMEA 2000 network. I'll toss the radio, first.

Beanctr 12-09-2016 07:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul L (Post 2211084)
Are you actually seeing the radio display say it is on WX4?

No radio always says 68. Also not a special weather alert. I tuned to all the weather channels to match what I was hearing.

Beanctr 12-09-2016 07:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Berg (Post 2211088)
Agreed
Sounds like a weather announcement and it is auto switching
Is that a supported feature?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

No its not auto switching and its not an announcement. SH agreed it should not be doing that. I considered just buying a new radio but will a new one do the same thing?

rwidman 12-09-2016 08:28

You are supposed to be monitoring channel 16.

Back in the CB days, some folks would rebroadcast radio signals on the CB just because they though it was cool and nobody could stop them. Perhaps you have such a clown in your area who is doing the same on the marine radio.

Perhaps finding out if you are still having this problem on other channels (other than 68) would help with troubleshooting. That's what I would do.

Beanctr 12-09-2016 11:29

My radio has a new invention, it lets me monitor channel 16 and another. Looking for technical advise. R

alctel 12-09-2016 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptTom (Post 2211457)
Oddly enough, there's a known bug with my B&G V50 VHF that randomly switches it to playing the weather channel, even while the display remains on a "regular" VHF channel.

I was just about to say the same thing - tried emailing support, they may need to do a firmware upgrade

Beanctr 13-09-2016 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by alctel (Post 2211752)
I was just about to say the same thing - tried emailing support, they may need to do a firmware upgrade

That's interesting, if it is the problem SH is unaware of it. I sent it to them this spring and they said nothing was wrong with it. R