Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   OpenCPN (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/)
-   -   OpenCPN for Android - Dave Register (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/opencpn-for-android-dave-register-172172.html)

sinbad8 04-09-2016 14:15

OpenCPN for Android - Dave Register

Hi Dave. I had finally bought/installed your OpenCPN for Android and put all my .kap maps in my extdrive,and all was working fine.

Suddenly,yesterday,my Galaxy phone started to update to Android v 6.0.1 and it will no longer recognize my extdrive. i.e. it does not recognize the path,previously set,nor can I make a new path to extdrive.

Using my Solid Explorer file manager,the drive is accessible as usual,so I guess it must have something to do with your app.

Appreciate if you could look into it.

Tore

bdbcat 04-09-2016 17:12

Re: OpenCPN for Android - Dave Register

Tore...

Welcome aboard. Please bring your OpenCPN for Android issues and questions to:

https://bigdumboat.com/aocpn/forum/

Thanks
Dave

sinbad8 06-09-2016 11:04

1 Attachment(s)
I canīt seem to find where you are at with regards OCPN for Android?
The link you sent does not function.

Would appreciate an answer to my queery as to why OCPN Android no longer have access to my extdrive where I have stored all my .kap maps? After updating to Android v 6.0.1

Tore

conachair 06-09-2016 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinbad8 (Post 2207127)
I canīt seem to find where you are at with regards OCPN for Android?
The link you sent does not function.

Would appreciate an answer to my queery as to why OCPN Android no longer have access to my extdrive where I have stored all my .kap maps? After updating to Android v 6.0.1

Tore

To get into the external sd card I had to rename the path /storage/extfat_uuid/.......

I assumed it was an odd android thing, but don't know.

The link works fine for me.

barnakiel 06-09-2016 11:49

The link sent by Dave works for me.

Try again.

Unroll to an earlier Android version see what happens.

b.

sinbad8 06-09-2016 14:54

Tanks for suggestions both. My Android OpenCPN worked perfectly on my Galaxy A5 before updating to Android v.6.0.1

Iīd like to hear from anybody with a similar setup.

Downgrading Android is no option,and no, the link Dave gave me still does not work for me.

Tore

bdbcat 06-09-2016 16:43

Tore...

You may be accidentally snagged in our Spam filter active on the Android forum. Will you send me privately your IP address?

Thanks
Dave

conachair 06-09-2016 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinbad8 (Post 2207327)
Tanks for suggestions both. My Android OpenCPN worked perfectly on my Galaxy A5 before updating to Android v.6.0.1

Iīd like to hear from anybody with a similar setup.

Downgrading Android is no option,and no, the link Dave gave me still does not work for me.

Tore

Another option, download terminal emulator for Android and look inside storage..

CD storage
Ls

hoolie 07-09-2016 04:48

There's a choice of two memory configurations on Android 6. You can continue with the same internal/external arrangement as before or you can tell the device that all memory including the SD card is effectively internal. In the first mode all apps that were on the SD are moved internally, assuming there is enough space. In the second configuration the apps are effectively held internally and the SD card is erased, losing all its data contents. So be careful what you ask the update to do!

Sent from my XT1068 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

hoolie 07-09-2016 04:52

I think if you opt for expanded internal memory the SD card will no longer be visible or separately addressable.

Greaser-Girl 07-09-2016 05:13

My phone, my tab are Android 5.1. Both rooted, I,m Mistress of my devices, learned this from Debian and ubuntu the hard way, long ago.. A sudden update ...most glory is gone:peace:

sinbad8 07-09-2016 10:10

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all..

As per the two attachments,one shows the path when on Android 5.2.0, and the other after the update to v. 6.0.1

Trying all,and by sheer luck I found the now cryptically named /storage/609A-F1FD/OPENCPN/ATLANTIC etc. is my extdrive.

Using my Solid Explorer File Manager,I can read/write to the Extdrive as before,and can see no mention of the /storage/609A-F1FD/OPENCPN/ path.

I also experienced that there is a limit to the amount of .kap charts you can enter up in the path.

I normally have all my .kap charts filed alphabetically in country order under the directory OCPNCPN but had to limit the number of kapīs by 4 areas. i.e. ATLANTIC,CARIBBEAN AND PACIFIC, (4 separate paths) as otherwise the app would crash.

To begin with,I think I uninstalled and re-installed 5 times,but later learned to reboot when the app crashed.

Even now,my Android OCPN will crash/hang now and again when I try to start it. Perhaps it depends on how much of the internal memory is available at startup time? Would it not be possible to load just the chart visible when you last used the app? and then open/close as you pan across the screen?
Loading up ALL the charts in a limited memory seems a bit excessive??

I still have not found out how to insert/delete a waypoint in a route.

This all has to do with Android 6.01

Tore

Greaser-Girl 08-09-2016 03:44

sorry but, Android 6, 6.1 drove me mad. Same Ubuntu 16.04.1 both somewhat unstable..Android 5.1, 5.2 ubuntu 14.05 are rock solid. Maybe for marine software the latest "operating System" is not a sexy idea, could be true:smile:

CarCode 08-09-2016 05:03

The reason might be that OpenCPN depends onto the wxWidgets libraries. These libraries may take a long time to be adapted to newer operating system versions but they are needed to run OpenCPN. They are not part of an operating system but free software like OpenCPN itself.

Gerhard

melvinx 08-09-2016 07:48

Hi Dave

I cannot access the android support forum at bigdumboat.com. I just get a white page with URL, but no access. I downloaded the paid version this morning, and all seems to work well, other than viewing CM93 charts. I saw a few people have had this issue, so am hoping it is an easy fix. I tried it on both free and paid version, but same result.

Step one, please try and get me to see the forum. My current public IP addess = 169.1.164.102. OS = Ubuntu 16.04, and browser = Firefox

Thanks
Melvin

sinbad8 09-09-2016 08:14

Greaser-Girl..

You seem to be the only one using Android v 6.xxxx for OpenCPN Android.

The problem is that the app is unable to find the path to/storage/extSdCard/ ..any more.it has been replaced with /storage/609A-F1FD/

I found out by trying all the directories available...

I also had to change to the same path for my OruxMaps app.

All working fine again now.

Tore

sinbad8 10-09-2016 16:05

Forget about the ībigdumboatī forum login. Itīs more secretive than the NWO.

Read my previous message:

"As per the two attachments,one shows the path when on Android 5.2.0, and the other after the update to v. 6.0.1

Trying all,and by sheer luck I found the now cryptically named /storage/609A-F1FD/OPENCPN/ATLANTIC etc. is my extdrive.

Using my Solid Explorer File Manager,I can read/write to the Extdrive as before,and can see no mention of the /storage/609A-F1FD/OPENCPN/ path.

I also experienced that there is a limit to the amount of .kap charts you can enter up in the path.

I normally have all my .kap charts filed alphabetically in country order under the directory OCPNCPN but had to limit the number of kapīs by 4 areas. i.e. ATLANTIC,CARIBBEAN AND PACIFIC, (4 separate paths) as otherwise the app would crash.

To begin with,I think I uninstalled and re-installed 5 times,but later learned to reboot when the app crashed.

Even now,my Android OCPN will crash/hang now and again when I try to start it. Perhaps it depends on how much of the internal memory is available at startup time? Would it not be possible to load just the chart visible when you last used the app? and then open/close as you pan across the screen?
Loading up ALL the charts in a limited memory seems a bit excessive??

I still have not found out how to insert/delete a waypoint in a route.

This all has to do with Android 6.01 "

Tore

Catalacmarc 23-09-2017 13:50

Friends, Dave or someone, I need some help. First, I tried to get into the Android support forum at Opencpn but forgot my password,. By the time I straightened that out, it said I over did the logins and would have to wait 10 days to log in again? Any help accessinng the forum would be appreciated.

The issue that I am struggling with is that I currently run Opencpn on an upgraded Acer iconia A-500 (android 4.03) which works as well as it can with the internal GPS receiver. I also have a Garmin Glo which can link the the tablet via several different Blue tooth GPS programs. BUT Opencpn cannot get data from it? It sees the Glo in the connections yet nothing is transfered. Mock location is set on and every other thing I can think of has been tried. What am I missing? The Glo would provide faster and much more accurate positions if I could get it to work.
Thanks Marc