Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Dinghy ... Unique Alternatives (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/dinghy-unique-alternatives-171275.html)

SURV69 18-08-2016 06:22

Dinghy ... Unique Alternatives

I need a dinghy ... or at the least something that will "easily", fit the deck of a Bristol 30, and/or trail nicely behind the boat.

I'm looking at the stand-up boards and wonder how stable they are and if a small, removable container might be attachable ... anyone using unique alternatives?

Shrew 18-08-2016 06:47

Re: Dinghy ... Unique Alternatives

Paddle boards are about the most inefficient mode of transportation. It might rival the skateboard.

They take a tremendous amount of time and energy for the amount of distance traveled. This is made worse if you have to head into the wind. With some practice I think you can maybe stay dry.

I watched people paddling their hearts out into the wind to inch forward or at best hold position. A good way to potentially get stuck at the dinghy dock.

Kjretlaw 18-08-2016 06:52

Either a small dinghy with a soft floor, or a portaboat you can collapse and store on the rail. SUPB's are for adventuring not hauling fuel, water and getting to shore.

barnakiel 18-08-2016 07:14

An inflatable SUP is very stable BUT it is not the easiest tender if you want to bring in some supplies, water or row off a kedge.

Look at small inflatable boats - many will stow easily on the foredeck, under the jib, while underway.

3D tenders make super light round tails if you fancy one.

Cheers,
b.

ranger42c 18-08-2016 07:28

Inflatable kayak?

-Chris

Celestialsailor 18-08-2016 07:35

Is this unique enough?

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WEKGLJsjW9...et+boats-1.jpg

redhead 18-08-2016 08:56

Nesting dinghy - everything about them is great.

scottydaum 18-08-2016 08:58

I have a 9 foot dinghy it is plastic and is fine in good weather but I think it will degrade pretty quickly if not covered.
I like the idea of the "Nesting boats" several videos on YouTube I think that is the route I will go when I get to do longer trips. Might even build it myself. I have a Tartan 30 so I understand the challenges

PDelay 18-08-2016 09:06

2 Attachment(s)
I replaced by 100 lb inflatable with a 60 lb Eastport Pram, which is a kit boat from Chesapeake Light Craft. I can sail it with a Standing Lug sail, row it, or motor with my Honda 2.5 Horsepower. She holds 375 lbs.

seasick 18-08-2016 09:19

1 Attachment(s)
Inflatable Jesus shoes

SV DestinyAscen 18-08-2016 09:47

Look at GIG Harbour - they build some nice nesting dinghys and can be put together with your needs.

Cadence 18-08-2016 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celestialsailor (Post 2191980)

I wonder if you get dizzy from paddling around in circles?

thinwater 18-08-2016 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadence (Post 2192074)
I wonder if you get dizzy from paddling around in circles?

Sculling from the front (?), as he is doing. Also the easiest way for one person to paddle most inflatables for short distances.

I'm assuming it was actually a joke.:smile:

---

Funny thing is it would actually work as a tender!

Cadence 18-08-2016 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kjretlaw (Post 2191957)
Either a small dinghy with a soft floor, or a portaboat you can collapse and store on the rail. SUPB's are for adventuring not hauling fuel, water and getting to shore.

I think you nailed it with the portaboat. I have never had one but watched a couple with two kids, about eight yrs. old, use one with a small OB and they had it stored on the rail in no time.

Cadence 18-08-2016 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinwater (Post 2192076)
Sculling from the front (?), as he is doing. Also the easiest way for one person to paddle most inflatables for short distances.

I'm assuming it was actually a joke.:smile:

---

Funny thing is it would actually work as a tender!

I'm sure it was a joke for a tender. I would bet it is used someplace for something. I wonder what? :smile: