Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Monohull Sailboats (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Does bow thruster increase a boats value? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/does-bow-thruster-increase-a-boats-value-170633.html)

dmksails 05-08-2016 13:25

Does bow thruster increase a boats value?

I'm considering adding a bow thruster to my Tashiba-31. I've tried to research into boats with and without thrusters to see how it affects the price, but not having much luck finding boats with thrusters.

Other items, like new engines or new rigging do not seem to impact price.

So - does adding a bow thruster increase a boat's value?

Sailmonkey 05-08-2016 13:28

Re: Does bow thruster increase a boats value?

On a 31' boat IMHO a bow thruster would reduce the value of the boat. The typical small boat buyer is looking for small and simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

LLCoolDave 05-08-2016 14:00

Seems that a bow thruster would be overkill on a 31' boat. I don't think it would add any value.

Captain Mark 05-08-2016 14:02

Only if it decreases the amount of damage during docking :) I would agree that on a 31' probably not.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

JPA Cate 05-08-2016 14:08

Probably not, in the case of that boat, unless the buyer knew the Tashiba's are not highly responsive to rudder settings and don't back up well. Most fin keel boats in that size range steer pretty well. However, especially if you have a difficult berthing situation, it might ease your peace of mind, and then install and maintain it, and enjoy it; forget about it making a difference to a potential purchaser. Of course, you will sacrifice some storage space.

Ann

Stumble 05-08-2016 14:57

I simply would not buy any 31' boat with a bow thruster. So to me it would ruin the resale value. I do not know if my opinion is shared by the market.

For me anything under about 50' I would see a bow thruster as a negative, between 50' and 60' a neutral, and over 60' a positive.

fallingeggs 05-08-2016 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stumble (Post 2182755)
I simply would not buy any 31' boat with a bow thruster. So to me it would ruin the resale value. I do not know if my opinion is shared by the market.

For me anything under about 50' I would see a bow thruster as a negative, between 50' and 60' a neutral, and over 60' a positive.

+1 I won't buy a 31' with a bow thruster.

Maybe the OP should explain why he thinks one is needed. Sounds like he needs some tips for docking.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

boatpoker 05-08-2016 19:24

Makes no difference to value, pro or con.

deluxe68 05-08-2016 20:14

If I am looking for a boat without one it would kill the sale if your boat had a thruster.

boatpoker 05-08-2016 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by deluxe68 (Post 2182928)
If I am looking for a boat without one it would kill the sale if your boat had a thruster.

Why ?

MarkJ 05-08-2016 21:00

I think its silly to have a bow thruster on a 31 footer. But if its a full keeler that just wont back you then it may be a plus.

Really, if you cant dock a 31 footer without a bow thruster you nedd training.

boatpoker 05-08-2016 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkJ (Post 2182955)
I think its silly to have a bow thruster on a 31 footer. But if its a full keeler that just wont back you then it may be a plus.

Really, if you cant dock a 31 footer without a bow thruster you nedd training.

Thats not the question.

ErikFinn 05-08-2016 22:46

Some posters here do not know the boat in question.
If not already a member, you should join the

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/baba-l/info

and bring up the question there. You will get more educated replies regarding your Tashing.

robert sailor 05-08-2016 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stumble (Post 2182755)

Without a spade rudder and fin keel bow thrusters are extremely common on sailboats over 40 feet in the Med. Med mooring in windy marinas can be quite challenging for any boat.

Jim Cate 05-08-2016 23:42

the answer to the OP's query is simple: if the prospective buyer would like the thruster, it adds value. If the buyer, like some of the posts upthread does not want it on that boat, it adds no value and may detract value or even eliminate the boat from consideration.

There is no generic answer applicable to all potential buyers.

Jim