Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Multihull Sailboats (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Index for boat maintenance costs? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/index-for-boat-maintenance-costs-165805.html)

m31desantis 08-05-2016 09:11

Index for boat maintenance costs?
 
Hello All,

I am wondering if there is an index for generic boat maintenance and replacement of parts.

More specifically how expensive is it to replace an inboard/outboard motor on a sailing cat respectively? Im sure it varies ship to ship but what is a ballpark range?

mikethedane 09-05-2016 08:28

Re: Index for boat maintenance costs?
 
Ball park range is 10-15% of the boat cost per year including new sails note this is prices from new boats

Sent from my SM-G925F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

jeremiason 09-05-2016 08:51

Re: Index for boat maintenance costs?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by m31desantis (Post 2115541)
More specifically how expensive is it to replace an inboard/outboard motor on a sailing cat respectively? Im sure it varies ship to ship but what is a ballpark range?

Depends on the type of engine, diesel or gas, the size (Horsepower) of the engine and of course the manufacturer.

Also you said inboard/outboard, so do you need to replace an outdrive too?

A 36 hp Yanmar Engine costs about $7,000 (US) on the attached web site.

Figure another $3K to $5K for installation:

Now way to tell about an out drive without know what the original is.

https://www.dieselenginemotor.com/ma...engines/?ob=h2

ranchero76 09-05-2016 13:05

Re: Index for boat maintenance costs?
 
I think it's the same as "car maintenance cost" or "house maintenance cost. It entirely depends on which percentage of work you willing to do yourself and how smart are you while finding/replacing parts. I'm also learning about all of this. So far I found that many parts for marine are STUPIDLY overpriced. But there are always ways around this. Engines can be rebuilt or repaired to new specs or replaced with better and less expensive engines. Cats can be beached, so hauling out can be avoided in many cases. All electrics, electronics, mechanical systems, interior - just DIY. I bet many parts can be fabricated in mashine shop for less than new "original" replacement. Also, learn how to fabricate fiberglass parts (that's what I do right now :))

barnakiel 09-05-2016 14:19

Re: Index for boat maintenance costs?
 
You want to know the engine size and make and then you call your local dealers.

Remember nearly always the engine price is just a part of the total cost of replacing one.

b.

rwidman 09-05-2016 15:57

Re: Index for boat maintenance costs?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by m31desantis (Post 2115541)
Hello All,

I am wondering if there is an index for generic boat maintenance and replacement of parts.

More specifically how expensive is it to replace an inboard/outboard motor on a sailing cat respectively? Im sure it varies ship to ship but what is a ballpark range?

Ballpark range? $5K-$10K. For your boat? Call a qualified shop or yard and get a quote. Get two or three from different shops.

fabgo 09-05-2016 19:13

Re: Index for boat maintenance costs?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwidman (Post 2116544)
Ballpark range? $5K-$10K. For your boat? Call a qualified shop or yard and get a quote. Get two or three from different shops.

That seems low. I've gotten quotes for new 40-50hp diesels for cruising catamarans, and the cost was around 20K-25K per engine, installed.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:46.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.