Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Dollars & Cents (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f128/)
-   -   Wholesale Marine Equipment real or ripoff? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f128/wholesale-marine-equipment-real-or-ripoff-164663.html)

sailingca 16-04-2016 18:35

Wholesale Marine Equipment real or ripoff?

This company has prices hundreds of dollars cheaper than anyone else I could find for a B&G Zeus 16 helm package but their contact information is in Indonesia. Too good to be true? Anyone ever order anything from them?

sailjumanji 16-04-2016 18:55

Re: Wholesale Marine Equipment real or ripoff?

When I bought my b&g stuff all of the authorized, warrantied dealers had identical pricing. Others were not warrantied, etc.

sailingca 16-04-2016 19:06

Wouldn't B&G warranty the product not the dealer who sells it? By the way, their price was $2,000 cheaper not hundreds as I mis-quoted before.

SailFastTri 16-04-2016 19:45

How about a link to the company you're discussing? There's also a Wholesale Marine in Ohio (not Indonesia).

sailjumanji 17-04-2016 03:53

Yes, but they only warranty products purchased thru authorized dealers who follow their pricing policies, etc. You send in info with warranty card.

If it's thousands less are you getting real B&G stuff? Or is it a scam.

All I know.

rosatte 17-04-2016 07:48

B.g waranty their products not distrubutor

Imprezza72 17-04-2016 07:50

While working for Navico parent company for B&G, Simarad, ect. only equipment sold by authorized dealers was covered under warranty. I seriously doubt that has changed in the last couple of years. Some companies pickup equipment from bankruptcy sales or marinas the were bought up by someone who is not Navico authorized in which case the warranty would be null and void. Your best bet would be to call Navico B&G service and ask them.
BJ

Xthewater 17-04-2016 08:01

Sounds like a too good to be true situation.

FLLCatsailor 17-04-2016 08:04

How much is the total package? Depending on the cost to saving ratio you could "self warranty" with your savings...

Imprezza72 17-04-2016 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLLCatsailor (Post 2099247)
How much is the total package? Depending on the cost to saving ratio you could "self warranty" with your savings...

One thing to consider is that manufacturer tech support is also tied to valid warranty information.

sailjumanji 17-04-2016 08:38

Look at what Imprezza said. What I was trying to say as well. There is a reason that defender sells b&g at the same price as west marine, except for some multi piece packages.

Hey, but do this. Call b&g and tell them who you are buying from and ask them if there are any issues. None of us can give you the guarantee you want.

redhead 17-04-2016 09:17

Oh, and as a favor, when you find out, can you let us all know??? So many times I read a thread like this and never hear the happy or unhappy ending. :confused: We are going to be needing some instruments soon. Thanks and I hope it works out for you.

Sailorbob8599 17-04-2016 09:35

I find it surprising how many people do not understand 'warranty' costs money.

Yes, you do indeed pay for warranty in the price you pay for the item. If there were no warranty, the item would be cheaper for sure but we expect the manufacturer to stand behind their product and he does, with the money you pay for warranty. Look on it as a kind of insurance.

Warranty in almost all instances is paid by the manufacturer but is sometimes administered by the distributor and that is where the confusion often arises.

The warranties I like best are 'Lifetime' warranties. That proves the manufacturer really believes in his product.

Cheechako 17-04-2016 09:54

Of course warranty costs money, especially for a company that makes poor performing products. Then again, a good product doesn't need a warranty. A bad product definitely needs one though.

Richard_jersey 17-04-2016 10:15

I looked on scamadvisor and reseller ratings. The Company doesn't seem to be rated very highly.
Wholesale Marine Reviews - wholesalemarine.com Consumer Reviews at ResellerRatings