Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Monohull Sailboats (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Do boom brakes work? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/do-boom-brakes-work-163833.html)

deblen 02-04-2016 11:05

Re: Do boom brakes work?

Has anyone tried the Capt Don ?
Boat Parts : Capt. Don Boom Brake

Mike OReilly 02-04-2016 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by deblen (Post 2087764)
Has anyone tried the Capt Don ?
Boat Parts : Capt. Don Boom Brake

I have one (the SS version). Haven't yet installed it though. That's a project for this season.

timbenner 02-04-2016 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by zboss (Post 2087703)
We love our Wichard Gyb’Easy.

We run an end to a block and tackle by the cockpit so we can tighten it easily. We can make it work more like a preventer (we can make it tight enough the boom won't swing at all but of course it is then also acting like a boom vang by pulling the boom down) or to operate like a normal boom brake right from the cockpit. Setting the tension somewhere in between allows us to make slow or fast jibes without having to change the setting on the brake itself.

Except for the block and tackle - which isn't necessary for operation, there are no moving parts.

I've been using a Gybe easy for over 5 years as well. I highly recommend it. It's all done through friction. So you can adjust it anyway you want it.

hoppy 02-04-2016 13:38

I have the walder boom brake. I rigged it with a 4:1 purchase so that it is very easy to tension it from the helms with one hand. It allows me to easily reduce he tension to assist the gybe in lighter winds and quickly tension up again to slow it down or "lock it off".

I don't see the need for a preventer as when it is set for the conditions, it slows the boom down in the situation where you accidentally gybe without doing a crash gybe. After all, it's not the gybe that causes problem, it the speed of the boom and the "crash" at the end that causes the damage.

damir s 02-04-2016 13:53

I have Walder boombrake 203 C on SUNSHINE 38 and i am satisfied with it.

https://s5.postimg.org/6gk8wnhmr/IMAG0688.jpg

nigel1 02-04-2016 14:33

A test/review of the Witchard and Walder systems can be found here
Tested: boom brakes and preventers – Yachting World

Personally, I use a climbing descender in the same application as the Witchard Gyb'Easy. It's only used to control the boom swing during a gybe in up to moderation conditions. Single handing, it does help.

deepwaterport 02-04-2016 14:34

Skippered a cat in ARC a few years ago. When we got in to St Lucia, and chatted to crew over a beer or two, I found out that 5 boats had damaged their booms.
ALL had boom brakes/ preventers going to middle of boom. Booms buckled/bent here, while end of boom whiplashed.
I would always rig preventer to END of boom. Cheers.

damir s 02-04-2016 14:58

For me is important that protect my head, and this is important. I can adjust power of swinging and speed, lso protecting boom. Walder boom brake is expencive but when you are hit by boom this cost nothing!
Safety first!!!!!!

phantomracer 02-04-2016 15:11

Have the dutchman. love it.

had the gybe easy. couldn't find a way to feather it as fine as the dutchman. Once the dutchman is dialed in, it is great.

CdS2 Roland 04-04-2016 05:00

Hello,
I'am using a Walder, great. But you have learn how to use it and follow the instructions. After that you will be able to tack down Wind, looking only to your genoa.
(Sorry if my English is not so good.. I'am swiss french speaking sailor)

Have a good day.

gjordan 04-04-2016 09:56

I know that Walder had 2 and possibly 3 different sizes of boom brake. I bought one used and it turned out to be the size I needed, but make sure of what size you are buying. ____Grant.

delmarrey 04-04-2016 17:42

[QUOTE=bcboomer;2087699]
Quote:

Originally Posted by delmarrey (Post 2087495)
I have a Dutchman but would now prefer the Walder.

Why would you prefer the Walder?

If you look at the Walder it has a couple metal loops that the line passes thru. That keeps it from rocking side to side a lot less then the Dutchman. Without them the Dutchman has a bit of a backlash in a downwind situation.

Plus the line is closer to the attachment which makes for less backlash. And Walders come in larger sizes.

https://www.boom-brake-walder.com/mod...epage_logo.jpg

cortezsailor 05-04-2016 19:25

I don't think theirs any proper substitute for a properly rigged preventer system. I find them easier, less lines , and close to fail proof except for the worst conditions or human error of course . If you have an Oyster 55 and want to prevent possible damage from an accidental jibe I'd skip the boom brake

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

DRS 05-04-2016 20:13

1 Attachment(s)
Never leave home without it. But then again you would not want this boom swinging about out of control.

Look familiar jackdale?

jackdale 05-04-2016 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRS (Post 2090449)
Never leave home without it. But then again you would not want this boom swinging about out of control.

Look familiar jackdale?

Stray Cat?