Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Monohull Sailboats (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Yacht type choice - Cultural differences? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/yacht-type-choice-cultural-differences-162049.html)

hoppy 29-02-2016 07:53

Yacht type choice - Cultural differences?

It's pretty clear from this forum that those from the US are much more likely to favour an old style longer keel design boat a than someone from Europe or anywhere else.

Is it cultural? Local sailing conditions? Fear? Marketing?

LakeSuperior 29-02-2016 08:29

Re: Yacht type choice - Cultural differences?

It is helpful to include a reference with these types of assertions unless you are just making stuff up.

hoppy 29-02-2016 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by LakeSuperior (Post 2059410)
It is helpful to include a reference with these types of assertions unless you are just making stuff up.

The question is based on anecdotal evidence gathered from being a reader here over the last 6.5 years

Paul L 29-02-2016 08:50

Naw, just must more likely to be vocal about it.

boatman61 29-02-2016 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoppy (Post 2059383)
It's pretty clear from this forum that those from the US are much more likely to favour an old style longer keel design boat a than someone from Europe or anywhere else.

Hhhmmmmmmm...!!
Maybe that's been my problem.!!
Trying to fit in with you 'Honkies'...:rolleyes:
Should have stuck to Dhows..:facepalm:

sailorboy1 29-02-2016 11:12

Quote:

Different snobs for different regions.

Celestialsailor 29-02-2016 11:34

Quote:

No...just common sense...:popcorn:

skipmac 29-02-2016 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celestialsailor (Post 2059570)
No...just common sense...:popcorn:

My theory is it's too many newbies that read too many books before ever getting on a boat. :whistling:

Celestialsailor 29-02-2016 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipmac (Post 2059574)
My theory is it's too many newbies that read too many books before ever getting on a boat. :whistling:

Battle stations...battle stations!:facepalm:

skipmac 29-02-2016 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celestialsailor (Post 2059576)
Battle stations...battle stations!:facepalm:

:biggrin:

Never claimed I had enough common sense to keep my mouth shut. :wink:

Guess we'll see what kind of hornet's nest this stirs up.

Lizzy Belle 29-02-2016 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoppy (Post 2059420)
It's pretty clear from this forum that those from the US are much more likely to favour an old style longer keel design boat a than someone from Europe or anywhere else. // The question is based on anecdotal evidence gathered from being a reader here over the last 6.5 years

So, you can tell us how many CF members are:

- From the US
- Not from the US
- Actively cruising
and
- What type of keel they have

And you have the same data for all active cruisers who are not on CF.

If not, it's not so much "pretty clear from this forum" but just what you have read and remembered.

:biggrin:

barnakiel 29-02-2016 12:03

If we were to include our material status differences and our market realities into broadly defined 'culture', then yes.

For some reasons some nationalities seem to, as a broad and very general rule, prefer specific styles of boats.

Then again, we can only sail what is locally available, unless we are rich enough to import something different.

So I think the quick answer is a qualified YES. Still, the long one is - it is up to how we define the word 'culture'.

b.

rockDAWG 29-02-2016 12:20

Quote:

Yes, I do see what you mean.

I think it is mainly depending the economic and availability. I couldn't care less what floats other person's boat. It is not my business. If they are happy and their wife are happy, I am happy for them. :)

Cheechako 29-02-2016 12:32

It's an interesting question, and my gut agrees with the OP. I'm not sure why Europeans lean toward modern designs. Are there more "old school" boats in the US? Is the Pacific crossing often contemplated a reason? Do more Americans actually go? Do more Europeans do the Med or at most cross to the Caribe? Traditionally most who rounded the world and wrote about it used a longer keel type boat. From Slocum to Roth. Do Europeans read different material?
It's hard to ignore the press reports of instances of fin keel problems and spade rudder damage. Are Americans more conservative? Americans probably buy more fin keelers than any group, but don't necessarily go blue water in them. Is that the reason?
Sooo many questions...

Lizzy Belle 29-02-2016 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockDAWG (Post 2059625)
If they are happy and their wife are happy, I am happy for them. :)

What if you have a fin keel and no wife? :biggrin:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheechako (Post 2059637)
I'm not sure why Europeans lean toward modern designs.

First of all, "Europeans" include people from rich countries as well as relatively poor ones. People from all those countries are sailing the seven seas, but usually on very different boats (obviously).

In my experience*, the 'older generation' Dutch sailors usually prefer the full keel boats too for ocean sailing/cruising - but there aren't as many around as there are in the US. The 'younger generation' usually prefers the more modern fin keelers.

* : My Ohlson has a fin keel, and most sailors I've talked to over the years feel a full keel is the way to go when considering cruising. Not sure if it's just the fin keel or also the fact that very few people have ever even heard of Ohlson before and therefor can't think of any Ohlson doing some serious sailing.