Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Monohull Sailboats (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Steel Van de Stadt History (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/steel-van-de-stadt-history-161247.html)

Rustic Charm 15-02-2016 10:14

Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Does anyone know the history of the Steel Van de Stadt History? Lots for sale, but not a lot of information on them.

Do they have a similar history to the Roberts designs?

JPA Cate 16-02-2016 00:01

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Hi, Ted,

In a sense, yes, it is similar. There are designs, offered for sale by the designers. Imho, the Van de Stadts were a little more performance oriented, especially when executed in aluminium rather than steel.

A lot of Roberts designs seem to me to be pretty clunky, i.e., not performance oriented.

Ann

Rustic Charm 16-02-2016 00:11

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate (Post 2047229)
Hi, Ted,

In a sense, yes, it is similar. There are designs, offered for sale by the designers. Imho, the Van de Stadts were a little more performance oriented, especially when executed in aluminium rather than steel.

A lot of Roberts designs seem to me to be pretty clunky, i.e., not performance oriented.

Ann

So, am i right in thinking they are boats made from plans that are Van de Stads? So theres not a boat yard somewhere that makes all the Van de Stads?

JPA Cate 16-02-2016 00:43

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustic Charm (Post 2047232)
So, am i right in thinking they are boats made from plans that are Van de Stads? So theres not a boat yard somewhere that makes all the Van de Stads?

Exactly! You buy the plans, and wright the boat yourself, or have it done, in steel, alloy, or grp. Look at the Samoas. Starzinger had one made for him in alloy, and here in Oz, "Brownie" in Harwood, did two in alloy that I know about. We looked at a steel one, one time.

Another poster, from Tassie, Wotname, has a Van de Stadt design boat, as well. Not positive, but I believe it is plywood....It is the boat that Boatman 61 delivered to Tasmania after he was stiffed on a long delivery fee, and CF'ers donated to the maritime lawyer in Perth who took his case pro bono. The lawyer's a gem! So is Wotname.

Ann

Ps: in case you're interested, Van de Stadt means something like of or from the State, Stadt meaning "State", and might be pronounced (I'm not certain ofthis) "Schtaht" sort of like shtate, but with the "a" sounding "aah".

Rustic Charm 16-02-2016 00:51

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate (Post 2047246)
Exactly! You buy the plans, and wright the boat yourself, or have it done, in steel, alloy, or grp. Look at the Samoas. Starzinger had one made for him in alloy, and here in Oz, "Brownie" in Harwood, did two in alloy that I know about. We looked at a steel one, one time.

Another poster, from Tassie, Wotname, has a Van de Stadt design boat, as well. Not positive, but I believe it is plywood....It is the boat that Boatman 61 delivered to Tasmania after he was stiffed on a long delivery fee, and CF'ers donated to the maritime lawyer in Perth who took his case pro bono. The lawyer's a gem! So is Wotname.

Ann

Ps: in case you're interested, Van de Stadt means something like of or from the State, Stadt meaning "State", and might be pronounced (I'm not certain ofthis) "Schtaht" sort of like shtate, but with the "a" sounding "aah".

:thumb:

Jim Cate 16-02-2016 01:11

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Unlike Roberts, I believe that VDS would also supply precut steel or alloy panels, interior timber furnishings and so on, making the amateur built boats have a better chance of being well turned out. Some that we have been on were quite nice, and of course, Hawk has a memorable history of voyaging in the Evans and Beth's hands.

Jim

Simonsays 16-02-2016 02:46

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate (Post 2047246)
Ps: in case you're interested, Van de Stadt means something like of or from the State, Stadt meaning "State", and might be pronounced (I'm not certain ofthis) "Schtaht" sort of like shtate, but with the "a" sounding "aah".

close!
Stadt is from the old german stat and means place or village/town.
Staat is state

pronounciation is like the english "stud" with the additional t at the end making the d sharper
the Schtadt pronounciation is more common in the central/southern part of Germany or what is called "hochdeutsch", the northern german dialekts and the dutch language do not turn the S to Sh (english influence)

Snowpetrel 16-02-2016 03:09

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Good boats , if they are built to plans. Van de Start has real pedigree as a designer and knows how to design a boat that sails well. He was one of the first to Pioneer light displacement fin keelers, such as stormvogel.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Wotname 16-02-2016 03:37

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate (Post 2047246)
…...

Another poster, from Tassie, Wotname, has a Van de Stadt design boat, as well. Not positive, but I believe it is plywood....It is the boat that Boatman 61 delivered to Tasmania after he was stiffed on a long delivery fee, and CF'ers donated to the maritime lawyer in Perth who took his case pro bono. The lawyer's a gem! So is Wotname.

Ann
....

Yep, it's a Van de Stadt Dogger and you are correct, it's plywood - 31' x 8.5'. Built professionally in Fremantle in the 70's as a offshore racer. I have heard of some steel Doggers, particularly out of South Africa.

boatman61 16-02-2016 03:53

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
He's also designed a variety of successful Production boats.. the Pioneer 9 and 10 are his designs..
In fact just about any plastic boat with the entry hatch curved into an arch is likely his.. a distinctive 'trade mark' :thumb:
The Mirror Offshore was his and Dehler used him a lot..

GordMay 16-02-2016 04:48

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Van de Stadt Design applies four fundamental principles: speed, comfort, safety and quality.

History ➥ Van de Stadt Design - Yacht Designers and Naval Architects

Philosophy ➥ Van de Stadt Design - Yacht Designers and Naval Architects

Designs ➥ Van de Stadt Design - Yacht Designers and Naval Architects

boatman61 16-02-2016 05:12

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordMay (Post 2047338)
Van de Stadt Design applies four fundamental principles: speed, comfort, safety and quality.

History ➥ Van de Stadt Design - Yacht Designers and Naval Architects

Philosophy ➥ Van de Stadt Design - Yacht Designers and Naval Architects

Designs ➥ Van de Stadt Design - Yacht Designers and Naval Architects

A+1...:thumb:
Cheers Gord..!!:flowers::wink:

Polux 16-02-2016 05:17

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Van de Stadt was one of the most innovative boat designers from the 50's and 60's specialized in fast light sailboats and racing sailboats, as most innovative designers are. He founded a shipyard to built them, a shipyard that later was sold in the 70's to Dehler.

He leaved the Design firm he created back in 1978 with 68 years of age. The firm today is leaded by Van Tongeren that started to work with Van de Stadt in the late 60's.

Contrary to its innovative spirit that designs become quite conservative and at a given time they specialized in heavy steel designs that they sold mostly to amateur boat builders. Seaworthy designs and designed to be strong no doubt, typically Dutch designs, but less innovative than the designs of another Dutch designer of the 70's, Dick Zall that besides designing at the time Contest boats also specialized in steel and aluminum designs.

Van de Stadt has a catalog of designs that can be commanded, most of them old designs.

They are not a very active firm and if you look at their list of designs you will see that most are really old ones. The last designs, particularly of aluminum boats and the ones designed for Winner are less conservative and more interesting indicating some new blood on the firm.
Van de Stadt Design - Yacht Designers and Naval Architects

But it is rather sad that when most think about Vand de Stadt they just think about heavy conservative steel boat that were not designed by him, but by his firm after he leaved and not on the beautiful creative fast designs that were is trademark, boats like Black Soo, designed with what is still today a modern keel and a modern spade rudder:
https://peggybawn.files.wordpress.co...o-wn-nixon.jpg

and that was almost 60 years ago!!!!!

JJ77 16-02-2016 05:42

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Nowadays there is Kees van de stadt who owns satellite yacht design;


Satellite Yacht Design | Dutch Yacht Design by Kees van de Stadt


cool stuff...


Not sure if he is related to the late E.G van de Stadt.




Cheers,


JJ

boatman61 16-02-2016 06:05

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
[QUOTE=Ann T. Cate;2047246]

Another poster, from Tassie, Wotname, has a Van de Stadt design boat, as well. Not positive, but I believe it is plywood....It is the boat that Boatman 61 delivered to Tasmania after he was stiffed on a long delivery fee, and CF'ers donated to the maritime lawyer in Perth who took his case pro bono. The lawyer's a gem! So is Wotname.
AnnQUOTE]

Right on ALL counts Ann...:thumb:
and folk wonder why I like CF..:whistling:

Polux 16-02-2016 06:26

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ77 (Post 2047365)
Nowadays there is Kees van de stadt who owns satellite yacht design;


Satellite Yacht Design | Dutch Yacht Design by Kees van de Stadt


cool stuff...


Not sure if he is related to the late E.G van de Stadt.




Cheers,


JJ

Yes, I agree that it is a much more interesting design cabinet and it is kind of funny that a Van de Stadt is not working in Van de Stadt (that has no Van de Stadt designing there) and that he works for Satellite yacht design (that was founded by Van de Stadt). A bit confusing, two Vand de Stadt founded design yacht firms and the one that is called Vand de Stadt has not any Vand de Stadt working there.:biggrin:

This is is favorite design, a 48ft boat
https://www.harken.com/uploadedImages...drawing-lg.jpg
Also some very interesting and nice aluminum voyage boats:
https://www.yacht-design.nl/wp-conten...-1500x1059.jpg

Polux 16-02-2016 09:07

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Polux (Post 2047353)
...
Van de Stadt has a catalog of designs that can be commanded, most of them old designs. ...
But it is rather sad that when most think about Vand de Stadt they just think about heavy conservative steel boats that were not designed by him, but by his firm after he leaved and not on the beautiful creative fast designs that were is trademark, boats like Black Soo, designed with what is still today a modern keel and a modern spade rudder.
...

Correcting some information about this:

Even if most (or all?) steel boat designs that are on the Vand de Stadt catalog have not been designed by him, being old but posterior designs, Vand de Stadt designed numerous steel boats before retiring on the 70's even if they were a minority among his designs.

Most of those steel designs are from the 60's and 70's, they are still numerous on the 70's, become scarce on the 80's and practically disappeared on the 90's being the last one from 1991. They designed some Steel/aluminum boats before substituting completely the steel by the aluminum on the cabinet designs for that type of boat.

Rockyscience 16-02-2016 09:25

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
[QUOTE=boatman61;2047375]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate (Post 2047246)

Another poster, from Tassie, Wotname, has a Van de Stadt design boat, as well. Not positive, but I believe it is plywood....It is the boat that Boatman 61 delivered to Tasmania after he was stiffed on a long delivery fee, and CF'ers donated to the maritime lawyer in Perth who took his case pro bono. The lawyer's a gem! So is Wotname.
AnnQUOTE]

Right on ALL counts Ann...:thumb:
and folk wonder why I like CF..:whistling:

That's a heart warming story..:smile:

reed1v 16-02-2016 09:47

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Kind of like when folks talk about a "Garden"design ketch. Really does not mean much. Use to be VDS boats were fairly large steel yachts for cruising. Otherwise, the name nowadays just means someone with a lot steel, welded together something that resembles a VDS design. If your looking at an older one, try to find the rolled hull ones, not the welded chines ones. Big jump in quality construction. But then you knew that, right?

Horus 16-02-2016 10:00

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Polux and JJ77 are rigt. Van der Stadt is a famous Dutch yacht designer. He was one of the first designers building in GRP the "Pionier 10" in the sixties last century.

ColonelWima 16-02-2016 10:54

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Polux (Post 2047353)
Van de Stadt was one of the most innovative boat designers from the 50's and 60's specialized in fast light sailboats and racing sailboats, as most innovative designers are. He founded a shipyard to built them, a shipyard that later was sold in the 70's to Dehler.

He leaved the Design firm he created back in 1978 with 68 years of age. The firm today is leaded by Van Tongeren that started to work with Van de Stadt in the late 60's.
Contrary to its innovative spirit that designs become quite conservative and at a given time they specialized in heavy steel designs that they sold mostly to amateur boat builders. Seaworthy designs and designed to be strong no doubt, typically Dutch designs, but less innovative than the designs of another Dutch designer of the 70's, Dick Zall that besides designing at the time Contest boats also specialized in steel and aluminum design.

Van de Stadt has a catalog of designs that can be commanded, most of them old designs.

They are not a very active firm and if you look at their list of designs you will see that most are really old ones. The last designs, particularly of aluminum boats and the ones designed for Winner are less conservative and more interesting indicating some new blood on the firm.
Van de Stadt Design - Yacht Designers and Naval Architects

But it is rather sad that when most think about Vand de Stadt they just think about heavy conservative steel boat that were not designed by him, but by his firm after he leaved and not on the beautiful creative fast designs that were is trademark, boats like Black Soo, designed with what is still today a modern keel and a modern spade rudder:
https://peggybawn.files.wordpress.co...o-wn-nixon.jpg

and that was almost 60 years ago!!!!!

Van der Stadt was in his time a design giant who opened a whole new book in design, in particular light fast boats made from plywood. The plans he sold were precise and clear. In the early seventies i built a Primaat (7.10 m). It sailed very well.

Polux 16-02-2016 12:09

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColonelWima (Post 2047593)
Van der Stadt was in his time a design giant who opened a whole new book in design, in particular light fast boats made from plywood. The plans he sold were precise and clear. In the early seventies i built a Primaat (7.10 m). It sailed very well.

Some are still around and sailing fast:smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjvSnGrpLJU

hamburking 16-02-2016 16:42

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
A boatyard in Toronto Canada built Van de stadt 30's out of steel in the 70's.
There are maybe 3 in my area still, but are not uncommon here on Great Lakes.

I was told by one owner that the 30 was the biggest boat that could be built in steel like an egg, with no frame, just a steel shell.

They are a good looking, strong boat.

boatman61 16-02-2016 17:55

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Mine's a Canadian build but Quebec.. don't know if the yards still going though..
Builder is just listed as Mailloux Leclerc.. Quebec

TomLewis 16-02-2016 19:40

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
I saw a van de stadt 'glass slipper' on the hard at a boat yard. I don't remember any details, but I will never forget it, most beautiful hull ever.

TheThunderbird 16-02-2016 21:17

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
I don't see how confusion may arise...

E.G. vdS is a prominent designer. His name being so important that boats were named after him, either for commercial purposes or by hearsay, whatever the yard builder (on top, some were sold as a design, and built by amateurs)

The same is with a Sciarelli, in Italy.
We don't mind who did it, it is a signature boat.
Eventually, the maker of joinery is stressed (carlini, sangermani, valdettaro, cantiere Alto Adriatico,...)

I was told by a previous owner that building a 40' by "those" standards would exceed the half-million euro cost

CaptWil 17-02-2016 00:43

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Well I have a VDS Seal 36, steel, multi chines hull built in NZ in 1989 and she is a beauty to sail, safe as anyone would want to be in any weather

I have not seen another 36' as roomy inside as that Seal, with beam of 3.56m and super comfortable for 4 people cruising

I say that Mr VDS was a genius designer well ahead of his time...

Rgds
Will

Horus 17-02-2016 00:49

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Above I made a mistake in the name correct: "van de Stadt (Rikus)"

Rustic Charm 17-02-2016 01:03

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordMay (Post 2047338)
Van de Stadt Design applies four fundamental principles: speed, comfort, safety and quality.

History ➥ Van de Stadt Design - Yacht Designers and Naval Architects

Philosophy ➥ Van de Stadt Design - Yacht Designers and Naval Architects

Designs ➥ Van de Stadt Design - Yacht Designers and Naval Architects

Brilliant gord, :thumb: thanks

RaymondR 17-02-2016 01:06

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
I looked at building their Caribbean design rather than the Roberts based design I now Have. The problem was that steel boat builders were in short supply in Western Australia and the one I eventually managed to find would not build frameless boats.


Whilst doing the research I found that VDS were the most professional of the lot and their very economic study plans were exceptionally detailed. They also supplied polar diagrams for all their designs and survey societies would accept their plans if one wished to build the boat in survey.


For multi chine or alloy boats they could supply computer discs which allowed every piece of plate in the boat to be cut from sheets using a profile cutter. The individual pieces stayed in the sheet and could be cut loose using a jig saw to cut through the very small retainer tabs.


Their Australian agent was Eddie Rooms in Townsville and I had a number of phone discussions with him over a number of years and found him very pleasant and helpful.


If I had my boat building to do over I would search more widely for a builder anywhere in Australia then ship the hull to wherever I wanted to fit it out. This would have saved me no end of grief and costs over the years with maintenance problems, none of the VDSs I have seen have any water traps built into them.

Rustic Charm 17-02-2016 01:06

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Polux (Post 2047353)
Van de Stadt was one of the most innovative boat designers from the 50's and 60's specialized in fast light sailboats and racing sailboats, as most innovative designers are. He founded a shipyard to built them, a shipyard that later was sold in the 70's to Dehler.

He leaved the Design firm he created back in 1978 with 68 years of age. The firm today is leaded by Van Tongeren that started to work with Van de Stadt in the late 60's.

Contrary to its innovative spirit that designs become quite conservative and at a given time they specialized in heavy steel designs that they sold mostly to amateur boat builders. Seaworthy designs and designed to be strong no doubt, typically Dutch designs, but less innovative than the designs of another Dutch designer of the 70's, Dick Zall that besides designing at the time Contest boats also specialized in steel and aluminum designs.

Van de Stadt has a catalog of designs that can be commanded, most of them old designs.

They are not a very active firm and if you look at their list of designs you will see that most are really old ones. The last designs, particularly of aluminum boats and the ones designed for Winner are less conservative and more interesting indicating some new blood on the firm.
Van de Stadt Design - Yacht Designers and Naval Architects

But it is rather sad that when most think about Vand de Stadt they just think about heavy conservative steel boat that were not designed by him, but by his firm after he leaved and not on the beautiful creative fast designs that were is trademark, boats like Black Soo, designed with what is still today a modern keel and a modern spade rudder:
https://peggybawn.files.wordpress.co...o-wn-nixon.jpg

and that was almost 60 years ago!!!!!

Thanks Polux, i was expecting you to know something about them :thumb:

Rustic Charm 17-02-2016 01:19

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RaymondR (Post 2048176)
I looked at building their Caribbean design rather than the Roberts based design I now Have. The problem was that steel boat builders were in short supply in Western Australia and the one I eventually managed to find would not build frameless boats.

Whilst doing the research I found that VDS were the most professional of the lot and their very economic study plans were exceptionally detailed. They also supplied polar diagrams for all their designs and survey societies would accept their plans if one wished to build the boat in survey.

For multi chine or alloy boats they could supply computer discs which allowed every piece of plate in the boat to be cut from sheets using a profile cutter. The individual pieces stayed in the sheet and could be cut loose using a jig saw to cut through the very small retainer tabs.

Their Australian agent was Eddie Rooms in Townsville and I had a number of phone discussions with him over a number of years and found him very pleasant and helpful.

If I had my boat building to do over I would search more widely for a builder anywhere in Australia then ship the hull to wherever I wanted to fit it out. This would have saved me no end of grief and costs over the years with maintenance problems, none of the VDSs I have seen have any water traps built into them.

What are you referring to re 'water traps'?

Rustic Charm 17-02-2016 01:41

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptWil (Post 2048171)
Well I have a VDS Seal 36, steel, multi chines hull built in NZ in 1989 and she is a beauty to sail, safe as anyone would want to be in any weather

I have not seen another 36' as roomy inside as that Seal, with beam of 3.56m and super comfortable for 4 people cruising

I say that Mr VDS was a genius designer well ahead of his time...

Rgds
Will

Mine is roomy open plan 36. Everyone gets a surprise when boarding mine and ive had comments that 'its a bit like a tardis' 😜 Mine sleeps five comfortably With three singles and a small double. It has three chimes each side. :thumb:

CaptWil 17-02-2016 02:29

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustic Charm (Post 2048191)
Mine is roomy open plan 36. Everyone gets a surprise when boarding mine and ive had comments that 'its a bit like a tardis' 😜 Mine sleeps five comfortably With three singles and a small double. It has three chimes each side. :thumb:

Hello Mate

Yes it seems you have a roomy design as well, and not bad for a rear cockpit :smile:

Rgds
Will

boatman61 17-02-2016 03:10

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
[QUOTE=RaymondR;2048176]I looked at building their Caribbean design rather than the Roberts based design I now Have. The problem was that steel boat builders were in short supply in Western Australia and the one I eventually managed to find would not build frameless boats.


Whilst doing the research I found that VDS were the most professional of the lot and their very economic study plans were exceptionally detailed. They also supplied polar diagrams for all their designs and survey societies would accept their plans if one wished to build the boat in survey.


For multi chine or alloy boats they could supply computer discs which allowed every piece of plate in the boat to be cut from sheets using a profile cutter. The individual pieces stayed in the sheet and could be cut loose using a jig saw to cut through the very small retainer tabs.


Their Australian agent was Eddie Rooms in Townsville and I had a number of phone discussions with him over a number of years and found him very pleasant and helpful.


If I had my boat building to do over I would search more widely for a builder anywhere in Australia then ship the hull to wherever I wanted to fit it out. This would have saved me no end of grief and costs over the years with maintenance problems, none of the VDSs I have seen have any water traps built into them.[/QUOTE]

Yup.. only place water gathers is in my bilge..:thumb:

Rustic Charm 17-02-2016 03:17

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
[QUOTE=boatman61;2048216]
Quote:

Originally Posted by RaymondR (Post 2048176)
I looked at building their Caribbean design rather than the Roberts based design I now Have. The problem was that steel boat builders were in short supply in Western Australia and the one I eventually managed to find would not build frameless boats.

Whilst doing the research I found that VDS were the most professional of the lot and their very economic study plans were exceptionally detailed. They also supplied polar diagrams for all their designs and survey societies would accept their plans if one wished to build the boat in survey.

For multi chine or alloy boats they could supply computer discs which allowed every piece of plate in the boat to be cut from sheets using a profile cutter. The individual pieces stayed in the sheet and could be cut loose using a jig saw to cut through the very small retainer tabs.

Their Australian agent was Eddie Rooms in Townsville and I had a number of phone discussions with him over a number of years and found him very pleasant and helpful.

If I had my boat building to do over I would search more widely for a builder anywhere in Australia then ship the hull to wherever I wanted to fit it out. This would have saved me no end of grief and costs over the years with maintenance problems, none of the VDSs I have seen have any water traps built into them.[/QUOTE]

Yup.. only place water gathers is in my bilge..:thumb:

Yeah, mine too boatie, so what are 'water traps'?

boatman61 17-02-2016 03:26

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
[QUOTE=Rustic Charm;2048217]
Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 2048216)

Yeah, mine too boatie, so what are 'water traps'?

Where the internal framing crosses and no provision is made for condensation to drain to a central drain leading to the bilge... result is every so often one has to lift various parts of the boats furniture etc to mop mosquito breeding grounds trapped in various corners.
Or alternatively its what one finds under a sink.. idea is to trap the last of the clean tap water in the draining system to prevent bad odours returning up the pipe..

Rustic Charm 17-02-2016 03:39

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
[QUOTE=boatman61;2048221]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustic Charm (Post 2048217)

Where the internal framing crosses and no provision is made for condensation to drain to a central drain leading to the bilge... result is every so often one has to lift various parts of the boats furniture etc to mop mosquito breeding grounds trapped in various corners.
Or alternatively its what one finds under a sink.. idea is to trap the last of the clean tap water in the draining system to prevent bad odours returning up the pipe..

:whistling: hmmm yep i know what a 'water trap' in a building is :thumb:

Mine has small holes about 10mm round in the stringers that let water down to each chime and any water coming in, ALL travels to the bilge. :thumb:

boatman61 17-02-2016 03:51

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
[QUOTE=Rustic Charm;2048224]
Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 2048221)

:whistling: hmmm yep i know what a 'water trap' in a building is :thumb:

Mine has small holes about 10mm round in the stringers that let water down to each chime and any water coming in, ALL travels to the bilge. :thumb:

The Roberts 54 I took to Perth was a bastard for that.. every crossjoint below the floor was a trap..:facepalm:
A Rust Nightmare interaction..

RaymondR 17-02-2016 16:16

Re: Steel Van de Stadt History
 
The problem with my boat was that it was built with stringers which had only very small limber holes in the stringers. These tend to plug up very easily and water then collects where the stringer crosses the frame. Since there was pretty well always water in the bilge from the stern gland and rudder trunk leaking and it would run out abeam and replenish the water traps every time the boat was heeled sea water tended to collect and lie in the traps.


I have pretty well eliminated the ones in the middle of the boat by removing the stringers this part of the boat is now less of a problem.


The VDS frameless designs have only a few frames to carry rigging loads down into the hull and where bulkheads are installed and these create much less of a problem the a frame and stringer design. The intrinsic strength of a multi chine steel hull of the sizes VDS designs for frameless construction is so high as to not require the stiffening frames and stringers provide anyway.


Having built in steel and maintained one for 28 years I now tend to the opinion that I could now build one requiring very little maintenance but the starting point would most probably be one of the VDS designs.


I went through a phase wherein I thought alloy would be the best solution re durability and low maintenance however having now observed a number of allow boats belonging to cruising acquaintances have gone back to a steel preference.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:39.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.