Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/)
-   -   How Would You Describe Your Boat? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/how-would-you-describe-your-boat-161010.html)

Mikado 11-02-2016 12:13

How Would You Describe Your Boat?

Hi All,

I am in the middle of packing for a three week trip to Florida to work on my boat, and thinking of the projects that I need to accomplish on this trip. As I was reviewing some pictures I realized that I can't help admiring her, even after all these years. It's like owning a beautiful classic car and after parking her and walking away, you can't help but turn around to look back and admire.

Do you have similar feelings about your boat? I wish I had a way of describing Solace to people. I mostly like the shape of the hull, the way that the compound radius forms the beam. To me it's like looking at a classic Aston Martin and admiring the lines.

One of my favorite movies is Master and Commander. One of my favorite lines is when Captain Aubrey is describing the Surprise and says "Surprise is not old; no one would call her old. She has a bluff bow, lovely lines. She's a fine seabird: weatherly, stiff and fast... very fast, if she's well handled. No, she's not old; she's in her prime".

How do you describe your boat? I can't believe that I am the only one that thinks about this?

Jeff

boatman61 11-02-2016 12:36

Re: How Would You Describe Your Boat?

Sleek but rugged..:thumb:

barnakiel 11-02-2016 12:40

Infatuation. Do not worry. Doctors say this condition does not require treatment.

b.

Mayhemdog75 11-02-2016 12:57

We are heading to our beloved to finish up some projects before sailing her to Florida from North Carolina in a couple weeks. I too look at all the pictures I took before leaving on a daily basis! Her lines are beautiful and classic. I've been away from her since September and can't wait to rejoin her. I'm pretty sure when we left the boatyard and I turned to look at her one more time she smiled at me with a tear in her eye knowing I would be back soon to give her the love she deserves. It's been 4 years of saving and working to get us to the liveaboard cruising life and we are only a few weeks away!!!!! Super stoked!!!!,!,

sailorboy1 11-02-2016 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikado (Post 2042949)

How do you describe your boat?

Comfortable!

thomm225 11-02-2016 13:11

My boat is tough, narrow, old, and strong.

I almost always turn around for an extra look when leaving.........which is most every morning and night since it's between home and work

CS Cruiser 11-02-2016 13:15

Mine is schweeeeeeeeeeeeet:biggrin:

Don C L 11-02-2016 13:15

Yes I have to confess a bit of infatuation with the S&S lines of my boat below the waterline... a gracefully sculpted work of art... but, unlike the lines of Aston Martins (not to take anything away from their beauty,) the shape of a boat's hull is not only an inspiring beauty but really does translate to a performance and a feel when she's sailing as well.

FollowingCs 11-02-2016 13:37

Imaginary.....

Hopefully turning into reality yet this spring.

~ Following Cs ~

Panope 11-02-2016 14:20

Personalized.

Snowpetrel 11-02-2016 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 2042979)
Sleek but rugged..:thumb:

:thumbup:

At the moment tattered :( would be a good description of snowpetrel 2 but I always love admiring her lines as I row away. She looks fast, powerful and strong.
Hopefully in time I will be able to add personalized to her list of attributes, and maybe even comfortable..

FSMike 11-02-2016 15:23

She's ideal for me - that means paid for.

Celestialsailor 11-02-2016 15:49

As long as "Joli Elle" holds the mirror, I will always be a young man sailing her.

Alberg 34 11-02-2016 15:54

she is like a graceful women sleek& beautiful Sometimes I call her BOAT (Break out another thousand) but I love her to death
She is dependable when things get rough Hope to spend the rest of my life with her

Jdege 11-02-2016 16:05

At this point in my cruising life, I have three boats, the mythical, the hypothetical, and the imaginary.

None of these exist, but they don't exist in very different ways.

RKO 11-02-2016 16:09

She's like me. Quite a few miles under her hull, but ready for the next adventure.
Also like me, not particularly stout or fast, but she will get you there safely.

Cruiser2B 11-02-2016 16:10

The perfect boat for me! My Alberg is the type of boat that if I look after her, she will look after me!
And she looks good too!

Reefmagnet 11-02-2016 16:34

fugly money pit but the missus likes it.

JTHAW 11-02-2016 19:36

Jeff, I feel precisely, exactly the way you do about my beauty, In my top 5 movies is Master and Commander....:thumb:

Goosebumps 12-02-2016 08:35

You can't be serious you actually got to like that cottage on the water, that ugly tub, that slow sailor, that ....., asked a number of people about my Catalac 10m.

reed1v 12-02-2016 09:22

We described our boat as a "tub". Sailed like one, looked like one, and often smelled like one. So the duck test rules.

ensembull 12-02-2016 09:41

Mine is showing her age but still as beautiful as the day she was launched. Fast and solid, trust her with my life.

duefocena 12-02-2016 09:47

As a good friend said on his first view of her, " Global Ride"....

lesterbutch 12-02-2016 09:51

Sometimes imaginary boats are better than real ones, at least they don't cost as much in maintenance!������

senormechanico 12-02-2016 10:02

Floating...

keithe 12-02-2016 10:16

For a 55 year old? Gorgeous!

Divevac 12-02-2016 10:19

Manic @ 26.4 kts! :thumb:

David Mark 12-02-2016 10:47

After having 20 plus boats in our family, my definition of our present boat is, "STUPID" as I explain our Seawind 1160 Cat to newbies , I start with the doors opening up into the targa top , the electric winch that runs everything , the roller furling head sails , the built in Grill for cooking in the covered cockpit ,the auto pilot with hand help remote,two diesel sail drives with folding props 20 feet apart which makes the boat maneuver and turn on a dime, 2 electric toilets, 90 gallon holding tanks , full size shower with glass door, three state rooms , 2 freezers , 1 refer , everything runs on solar panals, T V with digital antenna for football , golf , NASCAR , offshore , blaa blaa blaa , I always end with " Stupid " We love our boat , sails like a dream ,use her every weekend , and still doesn't get old Like I said "Stupid " We are going there today ! for a three day sail with our kids and their girl and boy friends , I am sure I will find something else that reaffirms " Stupid " cant wait !

alaskaflyfish 12-02-2016 11:27

My boat and I are exactly the same age (1972 vintage) and in a way a reflection of myself- a compromise that needs a facelift and not big enough! I have a caviar taste on a Twinki budget.

alctel 12-02-2016 11:37

grubby

Oldlaxer1 12-02-2016 11:53

Sort of looks like this right now, but when the mask comes off....A Beauty!

https://www.stockfreeimages.com/Facia...umb8684299.jpg

Sailing55 12-02-2016 11:54

Quote:

Hi All,

I am in the middle of packing for a three week trip to Florida to work on my boat, and thinking of the projects that I need to accomplish on this trip. As I was reviewing some pictures I realized that I can't help admiring her, even after all these years. It's like owning a beautiful classic car and after parking her and walking away, you can't help but turn around to look back and admire.

Do you have similar feelings about your boat? I wish I had a way of describing Solace to people. I mostly like the shape of the hull, the way that the compound radius forms the beam. To me it's like looking at a classic Aston Martin and admiring the lines.

One of my favorite movies is Master and Commander. One of my favorite lines is when Captain Aubrey is describing the Surprise and says "Surprise is not old; no one would call her old. She has a bluff bow, lovely lines. She's a fine seabird: weatherly, stiff and fast... very fast, if she's well handled. No, she's not old; she's in her prime".

How do you describe your boat? I can't believe that I am the only one that thinks about this?

Jeff

This is the type of question/comment that make this forum really worthwhile...

Fast, powerful, sleek, rugged, weatherly, seakindly, easy motion, forgiving yet requires a firm hand, exquisitely beautiful, graceful...these are just words that convey some meaning, but cannot express the deep feelings I have for my boat. I've done many things in my life, but nothing even comes close to the sense of completeness that I have when sailing on my own boat...just me, my dog and my boat. I believe that a boat possesses some sort of spirituality that cannot be explained, can only be felt. The shape of the hull, the rake of the masts, the counter stern, the underwater shape, the flat run, the easy entry, the shape of the rudder, all parts of the whole. The sense of proportion, from a distance or up close, to my eye absolute perfection. But the sense of oneness that I feel with the old girl is what is the most satisfying...I think of all the places that we have been and will visit in the future, all the miles under the keel, the way we move silently through the water leaving no trace of our passing...the sound of rain on the deck in a snug little cove, wood crackling in the galley range, the smell of stew simmering, the color of the teak joinery, the cream color of the overhead, the stout whiteness of the main mast [sorry but I don't care for a varnished mast].

How would I describe my boat? I don't think I can...it's too personal.
But I really appreciate knowing that there are kindred spirits out there in the world. Who else would understand?

T_Cat 12-02-2016 12:27

I don't care if she's 20' or 80'. You look at the pictures from the last trip, marvel at the grace and the beautiful lines from bow to stern. Look at the smiles from friends and family onboard. And that is what gets you through a cold winter till you see her again...

smo 12-02-2016 12:33

1992 corsair f24 mark 1 trimaran.
Makani Kamahele is sleeker and faster than I have been able to sail her so far. On the home page of my smart phone is a photo of her with her previous owner on a screaming beat with all hands gathered on the weather ama.
Someday I hope to have her repeating this feat.

accomplice 12-02-2016 12:38

My wife and I were discussing this very subject on a short passage a few weeks ago. She noted that traditionally, boats are seen as women, having an archetypal feminine gestalt. She asked me if I saw our boat as a hot young temptress, or perhaps as a refined lady demanding to be taken care of. I replied that, no, our boat was a broad-shouldered partner, with the strength and beauty of a teutonic woman -- good looking but not the star of an Italian runway; a woman who took seriously her job of caring for us, who took seriously everything, efficiently and competently carrying out her responsibilities; whose range of emotion was evident only if you were attuned to her subtleties. My wife agreed.

Tayana42 12-02-2016 12:51

Like Katherine Hepburn. Beautiful at any age. Great bones and acts like it's all easy. More strength of character as time goes on.

S/V B'Shert

oldragbaggers 12-02-2016 13:02

She's "the one."

TheThunderbird 12-02-2016 15:05

A mesmerizing bitch

Solid machinery I got knowing on my palm

A compelling spiritual experience.

All at a time

Over time, she will be the living museum of my Life

hamburking 12-02-2016 15:07

Quote:

...you can't help but turn around to look back and admire.

In the winter, I would go down to see my boat, frozen, on the hard. I would just stare at her, thinking about all the great adventures we had together, and thinking of the new ones, yet to come.

In the summer, I would stay on my boat long after getting back to the dock. It was hard to leave. I just felt so...at home...on my boat. Especially with a tank full of fuel, and the pantry full of food...like I could go anywhere.

So yes, I do that too.

And then I sold my boat. And I'm feeling a little lost.

reed1v 12-02-2016 15:52

Who would have thunk? Always looked at our Tub as a means to get from point A to point B. Ah, the advantage of having an ugly boat.