Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/)
-   -   Why aren't there cruising report threads? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/why-arent-there-cruising-report-threads-156480.html)

Jim Krause 17-11-2015 21:02

Why aren't there cruising report threads?

I wonder why there aren't any Cruising report threads on Cruisers Forum. Threads where people share write-ups and pictures of their day, week, month or multi-year long trips. This dawned on me while reading one of my favorite adventure motorcycle forums: Adventure Rider

If you take the time to go there check out the top threads: Ride Reports - Epic Rides and Ride Reports - Day Trippin'

A few threads for sharing cruising reports would be a nice addition to Cruisers Forum. Maybe there are some and they are buried somewhere. If so they ought to be dusted off and brought up to the top level where they can be appreciated. Can anyone point me to any here- or does anyone know if there are any forums/websites that have good cruising reports?

Thanks

fozrunner 17-11-2015 21:48

Re: Why aren't there cruising report threads?

Great idea, from a fellow advrider These are the two websites/forums I most often visit!

Travelnik 17-11-2015 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by fozrunner (Post 1965135)
Great idea, from a fellow advrider These are the two websites/forums I most often visit!

:thumb:

Another ADV Rider here! (Different user name there though!)

FSMike 18-11-2015 18:05

I thought that's what blogs were for.

Paul L 18-11-2015 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSMike (Post 1965774)
I thought that's what blogs were for.

Exactly.

Jim Krause 18-11-2015 18:44

Yes, blogs are (or can be) great but there doesn't seem to be a "central repository" for sharing them here. On Adventure Rider travelers share their pics and write-ups, often including a link to their blogs. If you take the time to go there and explore some of the threads (Epic Rides & Day Trippin') you'll see what I'm talking about.

Stu Jackson 18-11-2015 18:52

Central repository? Surely you jest. Who would do the work of making one?

You're just looking for something that's already out there that you can find with a little work on YOUR part.

You could also do a search on this forum using the word BLOG. There was a topic recently asking about folks' favorite blogs.

I always get a kick out of folks asking about obvious stuff and saying:"Somebody should.."

If you think it's so critical, then DO IT and stop complaining that no one else has done it before.

If no one else has done it before, then maybe it's not so critical, huh? :)

AnglaisInHull 18-11-2015 18:55

I understand the reactions that this sounds like a blog, but that's only appropriate for someone who is doing an ongoing commentary, and there might be something intermediate needed - a quick summary of where you've been, what you've learned, what might be interesting for others.

This would seem to me to fit in the "Destinations" forum or something like it - would that be the right place? I for one would like to see summaries of that nature (longer doesn't seem to fit on CF) for places that I might visit, with pointers to more detail as appropriate.

Greenhand 18-11-2015 18:58

Many of us who do keep blogs put the link in our signature. That way, if you like what someone has to say in general, you can just click. If they seem off putting, you can just ignore!

Also, there are threads: folks start threads all the time to tell of particular adventures, or to advertise their new video blog. Yes, it seems to be mostly the video blogs. I did once start a thread that linked to my blog, but that was because I was so darn excited about my new toe rails.

Jim Krause 18-11-2015 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull (Post 1965800)
I understand the reactions that this sounds like a blog, but that's only appropriate for someone who is doing an ongoing commentary, and there might be something intermediate needed - a quick summary of where you've been, what you've learned, what might be interesting for others.

This would seem to me to fit in the "Destinations" forum or something like it - would that be the right place? I for one would like to see summaries of that nature (longer doesn't seem to fit on CF) for places that I might visit, with pointers to more detail as appropriate.

Yes! There are many times sailors take a cruise (long or short) who aren't going to blog about it. If I got a once in a lifetime chance to help deliver a boat from Bora Bora to New Zealand I'm likely not going to start a blog about it- but I'd be happy to post a write-up with photos. And Stu - I'm not complaining- just looking at what's here or not on CF. *If* I could add a top-level forum I would- but doubt the design of CF allows for it (or anarchy would ensue). At this point I'm just shaking some trees and taking stock. Cheers.

newhaul 18-11-2015 19:35

What I feel would be a great idea. A port report possibly eventually a stickey of it. People post what port they enter with conditions like what the marinas are like that week any things of interest like IMO farmers markets close to the port, how the people in the port treated you and any problems you encountered that trip and others update the port call when they go there to see in the long term how the locals tend to their issues or potential problems. Over the long term.

Cap Erict3 18-11-2015 20:37

There have been quite a number of blow by blow threads by cruisers detailing the adventures and misadventures between ports. Boatie shares delivery stories. Rain dog and OG. Remember Shubert?

Many threads here qualify as very informative and entertaining cruising logs.

GeoPowers 18-11-2015 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Krause (Post 1965123)
I wonder why there aren't any Cruising report threads on Cruisers Forum. Threads where people share write-ups and pictures of their day, week, month or multi-year long trips. This dawned on me while reading one of my favorite adventure motorcycle forums: Adventure Rider

If you take the time to go there check out the top threads: Ride Reports - Epic Rides and Ride Reports - Day Trippin'

A few threads for sharing cruising reports would be a nice addition to Cruisers Forum. Maybe there are some and they are buried somewhere. If so they ought to be dusted off and brought up to the top level where they can be appreciated. Can anyone point me to any here- or does anyone know if there are any forums/websites that have good cruising reports?

Thanks

You might be interested in the "Destinations" sub-forum, especially the sailor logs and cruising plans section. There's some good info occasionally in the region-specific sections, also.

Destinations - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Stu Jackson 18-11-2015 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by newhaul (Post 1965822)
What I feel would be a great idea. A port report possibly eventually a stickey of it. People post what port they enter with conditions like what the marinas are like that week any things of interest like IMO farmers markets close to the port, how the people in the port treated you and any problems you encountered that trip and others update the port call when they go there to see in the long term how the locals tend to their issues or potential problems. Over the long term.

Have you tried Active Captain?

GeoPowers 18-11-2015 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by newhaul (Post 1965822)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Jackson (Post 1965853)
Have you tried Active Captain?

Also check out noonsite if you aren't familiar with it:

Noonsite.com —