Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f80/)
-   -   Stupid, Ridiculous Prices for Stuff (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f80/stupid-ridiculous-prices-for-stuff-155726.html)

carstenb 05-11-2015 06:10

Re: Stupid, Ridiculous Prices for Stuff
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boatguy30 (Post 1954450)
I'm confused by his post, seems like he should have gotten the F*** out of there 35 years ago.

I guess he must be a big time tax cheat to have been able to buy a yacht what with all the oppressive taxation taking all the spare income over the last 35 years:)

But most importantly, what does a dental cleaning cost?

I did get out several times (lived in the US and the Netherlands). As a result I was able to earn a fair amount of money at reasonable tax rates (all very legal by the way).

Just had my teeth cleaned - DKR 300 (roughly 40 USD):biggrin:(note the shining teeth)

Boatguy30 05-11-2015 06:18

Re: Stupid, Ridiculous Prices for Stuff
 
While the salary to attend college seems a bit much, investing in the future generation seems to be a better plan then spending over 1/2 your money on wars and new hips for 90 y/o like we do here.

Boatguy30 05-11-2015 06:19

Re: Stupid, Ridiculous Prices for Stuff
 
Of course, then they get Viagra at full retail price once the hip is back in shape.

carstenb 05-11-2015 06:51

Re: Stupid, Ridiculous Prices for Stuff
 
Back on topic

Why do things cost so much? It is just part of functioning and being part of the society.

Some bail out and go sailing - some bail out and go live in the mountains. Amounts to the same thing

You can also do some of this within land-based society.
1- Rent an apartment with as many sq. feet as your boat
2- buy a bicycle and not a car
3- grow you own spices in the windowsill
4- buy meats etc in huge portions when on sale and pressure cook and can
5- etc

It won't get you quite as far down but close and if you figure in boat repair, I'll bet you can live on the same (say $3000 per month or less)

LakeSuperior 05-11-2015 07:08

Re: Stupid, Ridiculous Prices for Stuff
 
A 50 lb bag of rice is 60 bucks. That will keep anyone going for a few months.

Kenomac 05-11-2015 07:26

Re: Stupid, Ridiculous Prices for Stuff
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by carstenb (Post 1954505)
Back on topic

Why do things cost so much? It is just part of functioning and being part of the society.

Some bail out and go sailing - some bail out and go live in the mountains. Amounts to the same thing

You can also do some of this within land-based society.
1- Rent an apartment with as many sq. feet as your boat
2- buy a bicycle and not a car
3- grow you own spices in the windowsill
4- buy meats etc in huge portions when on sale and pressure cook and can
5- etc

It won't get you quite as far down but close and if you figure in boat repair, I'll bet you can live on the same (say $300 per month or less)

I'm going deer hunting up in Maine later today for a few days. $114 for a hunting license, plus $15 to the sports store to tag the deer and $85 to the butcher shop if needed. $3 for the sabot slug.

I ride a bicycle over 5000 miles per year, but it's kinda difficult to get to work on one December through April when I get out at midnight 15 miles away from home.

We own a condo that's located in a commercial office building we own and operate as a business.

Doing all the right things, but.... It still ain't cheap. Mostly, the cash gets eaten up by high insurance costs which total over $53,000 for medical, property, property tax and auto ($35,000 medical, $15,000 property tax, $2,000 property insurance, $1,200 auto insurance)

Auto repairs always seem to hit when we just get ahead of the game. Most of the time, I drive a 13 year old Dodge Neon... Not exactly a luxury car. Last week, the rear brake pads fell off; I didn't even know that could happen. Cost me half a nights wage to get it fixed. Drove home like Fred Fintstone.

jwing 05-11-2015 09:08

Re: Stupid, Ridiculous Prices for Stuff
 
I'm not one of the cool kids so I don't understand the term "pajama people.' Who are they and why are they called pajama people?

jongleur 05-11-2015 10:10

Re: Stupid, Ridiculous Prices for Stuff
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LakeSuperior (Post 1954517)
A 50 lb bag of rice is 60 bucks. That will keep anyone going for a few months.

'Til it ruins your teeth...

Kenomac 05-11-2015 10:29

Re: Stupid, Ridiculous Prices for Stuff
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwing (Post 1954607)
I'm not one of the cool kids so I don't understand the term "pajama people.' Who are they and why are they called pajama people?

The "pajama people" infest the inner city no income housing apartments, walking around in their pajamas all day, EBT card in one hand, Free Obama cell phone in the other on their way to either Walmart or the closest ATM machine.

Most have never worked a day in their life... basically retired at age 15 and financed by US government handouts and selling drugs. Heroin is the local drug of first choice.

Mike OReilly 05-11-2015 10:29

Re: Stupid, Ridiculous Prices for Stuff
 
Yes carstenb, sure sucks to live in Denmark which consistently scores in the top five in various international economic/social/health/lifestyle analysis:facepalm:. However, I do agree with you that relying on our various national pension plans to support a wealthy, or even comfortable retirement, is probably folly.

I agree that it is possible to live a frugal lifestyle in a rich country, but it is a lot more difficult compared to living in a less-wealthy location. Its the nature of capitalist economies. Prices are largely set, not by any inherent value in the item or service, but by how much people are willing to pay. Those with lots can pay lots. Those with little can only pay a little. Go where people pay little.

Kenomac 05-11-2015 10:38

Re: Stupid, Ridiculous Prices for Stuff
 
Mike,

Three years ago I paid $32 for a hamburger in a small cafe in Denmark. Most there ride around in beat up old bicycles year round, not to be environmentally friendly... but because of the 180% tax and 22% VAT charged on cars. Or something close to that. Basically, it turns a 35k car into a 95k car after taxes.

It's not heaven on earth... especially riding a bike to work in January.

IdoraKeeper 05-11-2015 10:39

Re: Stupid, Ridiculous Prices for Stuff
 
One thing is cheap! CF... I can get on here and all it costs is a few electrons. Now compare that to the Max Prop I'm gonna buy this week....the new dripless stern bearing....the reconditioned main sail....the new dingy.....shoot, getting my teeth cleaned is a momentary respite from expense. I haven't even started in on the new Nav gear and having the life raft re packed, or a new eprib.....And didn't Dockhead prove that it's cheaper to motor everywhere because sails are so expensive? Arrrgh! I just can't worry about it or I will just end up with a canoe.:-)

Kenomac 05-11-2015 10:46

Re: Stupid, Ridiculous Prices for Stuff
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper (Post 1954679)
One thing is cheap! CF... I can get on here and all it costs is a few electrons. Now compare that to the Max Prop I'm gonna buy this week....the new dripless stern bearing....the reconditioned main sail....the new dingy.....shoot, getting my teeth cleaned is a momentary respite from expense. I haven't even started in on the new Nav gear and having the life raft re packed, or a new eprib.....And didn't Dockhead prove that it's cheaper to motor everywhere because sails are so expensive? Arrrgh! I just can't worry about it or I will just end up with a canoe.:-)

Dockhead paid way too much for his sails IMHO. Our new laminate sails for next season were quoted at $15,000 by Dolphin sails in the UK. Good for 30,000 miles.

Mike OReilly 05-11-2015 10:49

Re: Stupid, Ridiculous Prices for Stuff
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenomac (Post 1954678)
Mike,

Three years ago I paid $32 for a hamburger in a small cafe in Denmark. Most there ride around in beat up old bicycles year round, not to be environmentally friendly... but because of the 180% tax and 22% VAT charged on cars. Or something close to that. Basically, it turns a 35k car into a 95k car after taxes.

That's kinda my point Ken. It's not cheap b/c it's a wealthy society. I spent a week in Oslo a few years ago (not on my dime, thankfully). I recall going out for a basic lunch, crushing the numbers, and realizing I'd just spent a week's worth of my Canadian income.

After that, I stopped doing the translation :wink:.

Kenomac 05-11-2015 10:57

Re: Stupid, Ridiculous Prices for Stuff
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike OReilly (Post 1954685)
That's kinda my point Ken. It's not cheap b/c it's a wealthy society. I spent a week in Oslo a few years ago (not on my dime, thankfully). I recall going out for a basic lunch, crushing the numbers, and realizing I'd just spent a week's worth of my Canadian income.

After that, I stopped doing the translation :wink:.

Do you really consider the average Dane to be wealthy.... living in dinky little apartments and riding their 30 year old bicycle to work in sub zero temperatures while toking on their cigarette? There's also a high tax on new imported bicycles in Denmark.

I guess free healthcare isn't free after all....


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:29.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.