Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Marine Electronics (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/)
-   -   OpenPlotter project (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/openplotter-project-152754.html)

Sailoog 10-09-2015 01:33

OpenPlotter project

HI from Barcelona!

I am glad to introduce you the first steps of this project. OpenPlotter is free an open so don not hesitate to download, share, collaborate, suggest...

https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplott...ter500x300.png

What is OpenPlotter?

There are people who buy boats but there are also people who build them, why not build your own electronics too? OpenPlotter is a combination of software and hardware to be used as navigational aid on small and medium boats. It works on ARM computers like the Raspberry Pi and is open-source, low-cost and low-consumption. Its design is modular, so you just have to implement what your boat needs. Do it yourself.

Features
  • Chartplotter. With OpenCPN, a navigation software with useful plugins.
  • Weather Forecast. Download and visualize GRIB files with zyGrib.
  • NMEA 0183 Multiplexer. Multiplex and filter data inputs from any number of serial and network interfaces. Send and filter to any number of outputs.
  • Signal K (beta). OpenPlotter is ready for Signal K, the new, free and open source universal marine data exchange.
  • NMEA 0183 Inspector. Check the data traffic to avoid conflicts and overlaps between sources.
  • WiFi Access Point. Share data (NMEA 0183, Signal K, remote desktop) with laptops, tablets and phones on board. Connect to internet on port through the same device.
  • Remote Desktop. Access to OpenPlotter desktop from the cockpit through your mobile devices.
  • SDR-AIS. Receive and decode AIS with cheap DVB-T dongles. Calibration tools Included.
  • Magnetic Variation. Calculate magnetic variation for date and position.
  • Electronic Compass. Calculate magnetic heading with an IMU sensor. Tilt compensated. Calibration tools Included.
  • True Heading. Calculate true heading from magnetic variation and magnetic heading.
  • True Wind. Calculate true wind from apparent wind and either speed through water (speed log) or speed over ground (GPS).
  • Barograph and Thermograph. From pressure and temperature sensors. Save logs and display graphs to see trends.
  • System Time Tools. Set the system time from NMEA data and set the time zone easily.
  • Startup Programs. Select some program parameters to launch at start.

Sailing with free hardware | Sailoog

introduction | OpenPlotter Documentation

https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplott...en/diagram.png

https://sailoog.gitbooks.io/openplott...multiplex1.png

monstads 10-09-2015 04:16

Re: OpenPlotter project

That looks REALLY interesting. Great job on the site, and this is definitely something I am going to try out!

Snore 10-09-2015 04:37

I have looked at this option many times.

The issue I keep having is a weatherproof display. By the time I am done buying the display, an off the shelf product becomes more cost-efficient.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.

joachim- 11-09-2015 02:02

Hi,

It looks like you have integrated most of what I want from a boat computer into a nice rpi image. after installing it and expanding the disk, I tried hard to install adafruit webide, but I got some nodejs conflicts:banghead:. Is there anything special in this image, any old dependencies or anything particular? I can install the webide in a clean raspbian image.

All other niceties install fine, except for freeboard. But I guess if I can have opencpn via remote screen (or even the new touch screen on board) I do not really need this.

Great work, I hope I can contribute once I'm set up

Joachim

denverd0n 11-09-2015 05:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snore (Post 1911270)
The issue I keep having is a weatherproof display. By the time I am done buying the display, an off the shelf product becomes more cost-efficient.

Weatherproof and daylight readable. Seems like the display is the biggest cost, and without economy of scale it makes it more economical to just buy a commercial chartplotter.

So... What I'm hoping is that this OpenPlotter project will encourage someone to source reasonably priced, weatherproof and daylight readable, displays. But that is going to require a certain "critical mass" before they will gain the economy of scale needed.

Here's hoping this works out.

Claude53 12-09-2015 02:55

I have loaded OpenPlotter on my Raspberry Pi 2 and made it run relatively easely.

I have two problems which are not solved::peace:
1 - I want to connect to my RPi whith my Ipad using VNC but no screen connected to the RPi. Connection is OK but not screen size. I have tested different configuration by changing variables in the config.txt file but the window of OpenPlotter is still larger than the Ipad screen. What are the correct parameters to enter

2 - I just tested the option of using OpenPlotter as a Wifi router. I can connect without difficulty to the OpenPlotter router but I am not able to establish a connection either through PuTTy or Vnc Viever. On the creen of OpenPlotter it is sais the IP for remoet desktop is 192.168.0.20:5900 buts I have tested this IP ou the same without the extention :5900 but they do not work

Claude

Sailoog 14-09-2015 02:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by joachim- (Post 1911922)
Hi,

It looks like you have integrated most of what I want from a boat computer into a nice rpi image. after installing it and expanding the disk, I tried hard to install adafruit webide, but I got some nodejs conflicts:banghead:. Is there anything special in this image, any old dependencies or anything particular? I can install the webide in a clean raspbian image.

All other niceties install fine, except for freeboard. But I guess if I can have opencpn via remote screen (or even the new touch screen on board) I do not really need this.

Great work, I hope I can contribute once I'm set up

Joachim

Thanks Joachim!

Node.js is installed and needed by Signal K server. Is adafruit webide using node.js too? May be a version conflict?
Being adafruit webide a development framework I am afraid Signal K should have priority in case of irresolvable conflict.

Sailoog 14-09-2015 02:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by denverd0n (Post 1911991)
Weatherproof and daylight readable. Seems like the display is the biggest cost, and without economy of scale it makes it more economical to just buy a commercial chartplotter.

So... What I'm hoping is that this OpenPlotter project will encourage someone to source reasonably priced, weatherproof and daylight readable, displays. But that is going to require a certain "critical mass" before they will gain the economy of scale needed.

Here's hoping this works out.

I think you are right and hopefully someone could propose some affordable weatherproof daylight readable display, but...

What about an indoor common and cheap HDMI display (with water-resistant enclosure) (less than 50$) and openplotter sending data to mobile devices outdoor by wifi?

You have lots of Apps managing NMEA 0183 and future Apps managing Signal K, the new OpenCPN for Android, sailgauge and instrument panels served by openplotter to any browser, remote desktop... These mobile devices are easy waterproof-able and daylight readable.

Sailoog 14-09-2015 03:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claude53 (Post 1912567)
I have loaded OpenPlotter on my Raspberry Pi 2 and made it run relatively easely.

1 - I want to connect to my RPi whith my Ipad using VNC but no screen connected to the RPi. Connection is OK but not screen size. I have tested different configuration by changing variables in the config.txt file but the window of OpenPlotter is still larger than the Ipad screen. What are the correct parameters to enter

2 - I just tested the option of using OpenPlotter as a Wifi router. I can connect without difficulty to the OpenPlotter router but I am not able to establish a connection either through PuTTy or Vnc Viever. On the creen of OpenPlotter it is sais the IP for remoet desktop is 192.168.0.20:5900 buts I have tested this IP ou the same without the extention :5900 but they do not work

Claude

1- In a terminal type:

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

search and set these options:

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=9

set hdmi_group and hdmi_mode according to this list:RPiconfig - eLinux.org and do not forget to delete the symbol # before each one.

Reset and connect remotely by your preferred vnc software.

2- If you are configuring openplotter as an access point your address will be 10.10.10.1 and the port 5900. If you are configuring openplotter as normal client and connecting to a router, you can check the field "Addresses" in the Wifi access point tab and see the IP that you have been given by your router and connect to it on port 5900 as well.

You need supply the IP and the port to your vnc software and be sure that SSH is activated on the raspberry to be able to connect through Putty.

mvandervoort 14-09-2015 03:23

Hi all,

There is a recent initiative for a waterproof sunlight readable display out there. In another thread on this forum there is an interesting Q&A going about building a powerful and flexible my Maritime Instrument & Display Controller. This initiative is closely looking at and potentially willing to cooperate with Open Plotter. Have a look on https://www.hackster.io/mvandervoort...lay-controller and you know a lot more details.

My initiative will be agnostic for all kind of Open Source maritime software. And beyond that, both Android and Linux will be supported, so there is freedom of choice.

Manfred

Sailoog 14-09-2015 03:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvandervoort (Post 1913848)
Hi all,

There is a recent initiative for a waterproof sunlight readable display out there. In another thread on this forum there is an interesting Q&A going about building a powerful and flexible my Maritime Instrument & Display Controller. This initiative is closely looking at and potentially willing to cooperate with Open Plotter. Have a look on https://www.hackster.io/mvandervoort...lay-controller and you know a lot more details.

My initiative will be agnostic for all kind of Open Source maritime software. And beyond that, both Android and Linux will be supported, so there is freedom of choice.

Manfred

I had not seen that thread, thanks. Glad to see you here.

Do you have some approx cost of your display, electronics and waterproof enclosure?

Sailoog 14-09-2015 03:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claude53 (Post 1912567)

Claude

I try to reply this post but the system says that it needs to be moderated :confused: I think we have to wait for being approved.

mvandervoort 14-09-2015 04:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailoog (Post 1913860)
I had not seen that thread, thanks. Glad to see you here.

Do you have some approx cost of your display, electronics and waterproof enclosure?

We are both on all places scattered around in CF and elsewhere:smile:

OK, about costs. It's my intention to specify/assemble a DIY kit targeted at 500 max. For this minimum budget, you have to make the enclosure in plywood based on the provided drawings. I'll think near IP65 might be possible if epoxied well and good switches are applied.

The more luxureous DIY package will deliver a 3D Printed enclosure and that might be at a price target of 750. IP65 targeted.

And a possible commerical release (10-15') based on vacuum / resin casting hasn't been decided on. IP67 targeted. That's a topic we better can talk about offline right now becasue we could have a shared interest in that:confused:

Manfred

sea-bee 14-09-2015 05:48

I am just playing around with the Freetronics Pileven board on my RPi, and think this would be a useful addition to the concept.

As well as allowing for analog inputs (I'm working on a tank level monitor) this board can also power the RPi through a regulated 2.1mm 12v input socket. It seems that this board is an easy way to provide reliable power and also be able to monitor boat systems and security.

Chris

CarCode 14-09-2015 05:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvandervoort (Post 1913868)
OK, about costs. It's my intention to specify/assemble a DIY kit targeted at 500 max.

And I always thought the Raspberry Pi is a cheap computer?
So better buy a real one...

Gerhard

denverd0n 14-09-2015 06:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailoog (Post 1913835)
These mobile devices are easy waterproof-able and daylight readable.

Well... Not really. Compare the readability of the screen of an iphone in full, direct sunlight with a commercial chartplotter and the difference is HUGE!

mvandervoort 14-09-2015 06:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by denverd0n (Post 1913929)
Well... Not really. Compare the readability of the screen of an iphone in full, direct sunlight with a commercial chartplotter and the difference is HUGE!

Fully agree, and that's reason that if we would like to take generic SBCs like Raspberry PI, UDOO, etc. for an alternative navigation device, a good sunlight readable display is a deal breaker.

With quite extensive and actual market knowledge of the sunligh readable displays, there is a good explanation for the price level of commercial chartplotters. These type of displays are generally quite expensive, however prices are decreasing right now.

That is one of the reasons I took the challenge to develop my MIDC, because there is a good price point right now for developing a universal navigation instrument with some good specs.

skipmac 14-09-2015 06:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by denverd0n (Post 1913929)

Agree. I have tried every iDevice, phone, pad and laptop I can find in daylight and so far the only thing I could easily see direct sunlight was the black and white Kindle which, as far as I know, will not work with anything but displaying Kindle books.

The display for me is also the deal breaker. Sure they exist but even non waterproof, the daylight readable screens I've found are significantly more expensive than a full chart plotter. Once you add the computer to run the system there is even a greater disparity in the costs.

There are Panasonic Toughbooks that have daylight usable screens but they are also pretty costly.

Sailoog 15-09-2015 04:07

Ok, so it seems that we have an agreement here :)
There are only a few devices readable in full direct sunlight. That always involves high prices and more power. There are a lot of devices daylight usable but not in full direct sunlight (my Panasonic Toughbook is one of them). Here we can find really low-cost-power devices.

From the beginning of OpenPlotter Project we set 3 basic principles: open-source, low-cost and low-power; and a golden rule: always satisfy 2 of them. So we are focussed on indoor shock-water-humidity-resistant displays and sending data to outdoor usable daylight devices. Of course waiting for some readable in full direct sunlight device to fit our requirements and the results of tests done with cheap electronic ink screens. Do not forget that the target of this project are small and medium boats, DIY boats and makers in general.

Despite living and sailing in the Mediterranean under a blinding sun, personally I am willing to pay that price if I have a plotter, a multiplexer, a server, an AIS receiver, a computer, a forecast source... all-in-one low-cost, low-power and open-source with a community behind with great plans :wink:

Snore 15-09-2015 04:29

Sailoog

Is there anyway of using the composite video input on some plotters to display third party data?

I use OpenCpn on a laptop below decks, the issue is getting the data on deck.

Sailoog 15-09-2015 04:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by sea-bee (Post 1913915)
I am just playing around with the Freetronics Pileven board on my RPi, and think this would be a useful addition to the concept.

As well as allowing for analog inputs (I'm working on a tank level monitor) this board can also power the RPi through a regulated 2.1mm 12v input socket. It seems that this board is an easy way to provide reliable power and also be able to monitor boat systems and security.

Chris

No doubt ARM+arduino are a powerful team. For the time being we have achieved goals only with GPIO connectors but maybe in the future we will need some extra. What sensor are you using?

sea-bee 15-09-2015 05:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailoog (Post 1914667)
No doubt ARM+arduino are a powerful team. For the time being we have achieved goals only with GPIO connectors but maybe in the future we will need some extra. What sensor are you using?

I'm working on a couple of projects with Arduino.

The tank monitor comes from the Practical Arduino book using differential pressure sensors. I have not been able to get the same sensors as that plan called for, but found a suitable replacement. I have the circuits constructed but not tested yet (the boat is still being built). I am also experimenting with IR motion sensors with the intention on coupling those with a camera to create a security system. Other plans include remote monitoring of DC electricity and boat location using a GSM connection to send SMS messages.

Arduino has the benefit of analog inputs for these types of systems that is lacking on RPi. Combining them into one device seems to be the best of both worlds - analog inputs piggy bagged onto a more powerful ARM machine.

NahanniV 15-09-2015 06:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvandervoort (Post 1913933)
Fully agree, and that's reason that if we would like to take generic SBCs like Raspberry PI, UDOO, etc. for an alternative navigation device, a good sunlight readable display is a deal breaker.

With quite extensive and actual market knowledge of the sunligh readable displays, there is a good explanation for the price level of commercial chartplotters. These type of displays are generally quite expensive, however prices are decreasing right now.

That is one of the reasons I took the challenge to develop my MIDC, because there is a good price point right now for developing a universal navigation instrument with some good specs.

So what display are you considering for your open design ?

Thanks,
JM.

mvandervoort 15-09-2015 06:53

CH101ILFL-CT4 - Chefree Technology Inc. - Display TFT, 10,1" 1024x600 850cd/m2 PCAP USB BB - TFT LCD Display - Texim Europe - CH101ILFL-CT4-CHEF is just one of the possible ones.

On https://www.hackster.io/mvandervoort...lay-controller I regularly publish my progress. There is a lot of background information there what I would like to share now. The ultimate sunlight readable display hasn't been chosen right now. I expect to post detailed information at the end of October.

Manfred

Sailoog 16-09-2015 00:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snore (Post 1914664)
Sailoog

Is there anyway of using the composite video input on some plotters to display third party data?

I use OpenCpn on a laptop below decks, the issue is getting the data on deck.

I do not know. Is it really a video input or a RCA/jack connector? Is it labelled "video input"?

Usually plotters have NMEA 0183/2000/seatalk input/output to get external data but I am afraid they are not able to get external video/audio data.

Sailoog 16-09-2015 00:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by sea-bee (Post 1914706)
I'm working on a couple of projects with Arduino.

The tank monitor comes from the Practical Arduino book using differential pressure sensors. I have not been able to get the same sensors as that plan called for, but found a suitable replacement. I have the circuits constructed but not tested yet (the boat is still being built). I am also experimenting with IR motion sensors with the intention on coupling those with a camera to create a security system. Other plans include remote monitoring of DC electricity and boat location using a GSM connection to send SMS messages.

Arduino has the benefit of analog inputs for these types of systems that is lacking on RPi. Combining them into one device seems to be the best of both worlds - analog inputs piggy bagged onto a more powerful ARM machine.

You are the man :) building the boat and electronics :thumb:

Most of your experiments are in the OpenPlotter TODO list but in order to keep it compact, simple and cheap we will try to do it without analog sensors. When it is necessary we will start a new distribution based on another board with analog inputs like Beaglebone Black or the new UDOO. Actually this was the original plan, creating Raspberry and Beaglebone distributions with OpenPlotter scripts implemented (OpenPlotter RPI, OpenPlotter BBB) but we are a small team with small resources, step by step...

Let us know about your progress please!

muttnik 16-09-2015 02:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailoog (Post 1914651)
Do not forget that the target of this project are small and medium boats, DIY boats and makers in general.

My experience is that there are a great many people, particularly in northern europe and scandinavia, whose motivation for DIY is not cost saving but interest, flexibility and politics (i.e. open source). As it seems that you have the opportunity to acquire some funding through hardware sales, then finding/testing and making available a high-value (but low power :-) robust waterproof display might be a good revenue source while providing users with hardware which they can be assured is fit for purpose. Obviously has risk (not everyone who says they want one will buy one, needs time and possibly outlay (if you can't acquire test samples)) but I suspect that this may be viable to the benefit of all

Sailoog 16-09-2015 04:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by muttnik (Post 1915399)
My experience is that there are a great many people, particularly in northern europe and scandinavia, whose motivation for DIY is not cost saving but interest, flexibility and politics (i.e. open source). As it seems that you have the opportunity to acquire some funding through hardware sales, then finding/testing and making available a high-value (but low power :-) robust waterproof display might be a good revenue source while providing users with hardware which they can be assured is fit for purpose. Obviously has risk (not everyone who says they want one will buy one, needs time and possibly outlay (if you can't acquire test samples)) but I suspect that this may be viable to the benefit of all

Yes you are right but this is southern Europe. We share motivations with northern but we are a little more concerned about costs :biggrin:. Our earnings from hardware sales and accessories are small and it allows us just financing a sustainable development. Since this have to be an open-source project this should result in synergies with people everywhere. Obviously we are waiting for mvandervoort's project and others to progress.

Our perfect scenario could be a cheap hdmi display connected to OpenPlotter in protected enclosures mounted on boat cabin and sending data to a sunlight readable system on cockpit by wifi. That outdoors system should have just touchscreen display+ARM board+Wifi to minimize connections and cost. Two relatively cheap redundant systems.

Risk can be minimized with a good crowdfunding campaign.

mvandervoort 16-09-2015 07:47

There is a thread where some discussion is going on on the practical things of a SBC using on board with sunlight readable screens and how to construct them. The MIDC is aiming to be the flexible and powerful hardware platform for initatives like Open Plotter, SignalK, OpenCPN, Open Sailing Processor et al. There are some generic challenges which all these projects have in common: sunlight readable display, Wifi AP, low power, sensor/transducer connection agnostic and being affordable.

My MIDC can be one of the hardware platforms which will arise sooner or later. They are all of us choices for boating electronics and digital navigation, just like Open Plotter will do. So a good cooperation between us could be of the benefit for the user. I'm open for it.

Sailoog 16-09-2015 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvandervoort (Post 1915551)
There is a thread where some discussion is going on on the practical things of a SBC using on board with sunlight readable screens and how to construct them. The MIDC is aiming to be the flexible and powerful hardware platform for initatives like Open Plotter, SignalK, OpenCPN, Open Sailing Processor et al. There are some generic challenges which all these projects have in common: sunlight readable display, Wifi AP, low power, sensor/transducer connection agnostic and being affordable.

My MIDC can be one of the hardware platforms which will arise sooner or later. They are all of us choices for boating electronics and digital navigation, just like Open Plotter will do. So a good cooperation between us could be of the benefit for the user. I'm open for it.

Thanks mvandervoort. OpenPlotter is already working and sailing with tested hardware and software following the development plan but the only aspect that we have not resolved yet is the sunlight readable display so we are looking forward to your progress in this field on that thread and your page.

hzcruiser 19-09-2015 17:43

Hello sailoog!

This looks like a very promising project and I'd like to give it a try, too. However, I'm not particularly fond of installing some unknown software/spyware from the mega.nz site. Just reading their T&C makes me cringe.

Is there anyone who is seeding the img.gz files via bittorrent? If not, I'm happy to seed them from my server 24x7 if you can provide the files to me.

Roel Smidt 20-09-2015 12:07

Thanks! :thumb:
This was just what I was looking for. With OpenPlotter I can plug my USB AIS receiver in my Raspberry-Pi and the Raspberry sends the AIS-signal via WiFi to OpenCPN on my smartphone and tablet. Tested it out whilst sailing today and works great!
Roel

seandepagnier 20-09-2015 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailoog (Post 1913835)
I think you are right and hopefully someone could propose some affordable weatherproof daylight readable display, but...

My idea is to take the cheapest possible display then simply remove the backlight leds, and add about 10x the number of lumens in leds. Do not underestimate the need for heat sinks though, or it can melt. I'm talking about 50 or more watts of leds for a 10 inch display. Of course you will need a driver for the leds with a knob to adjust.

This might not be as efficient as a proper trans reflective display, but I know for a fact it will work and is for sure the cheapest option. Also, solar power is already available when it's needed the most so I wouldn't see much issue there.

I could be completely wrong, but maybe it's possible also the peel the back of the lcd and replace it with something reflective to reflect sunlight back giving additional brightness.

Sailoog 21-09-2015 04:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by hzcruiser (Post 1917948)
Hello sailoog!

This looks like a very promising project and I'd like to give it a try, too. However, I'm not particularly fond of installing some unknown software/spyware from the mega.nz site. Just reading their T&C makes me cringe.

Is there anyone who is seeding the img.gz files via bittorrent? If not, I'm happy to seed them from my server 24x7 if you can provide the files to me.

Hi hzcruiser,

Thanks for the warning, I have never read that T&C. I will keep Mega service but add an extra free download service with good transfer quota.
I am going to send you a dropbox link by private message. Let us know if you start seeding a torrent file please. Thanks!

Sailoog 21-09-2015 04:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roel Smidt (Post 1918396)
Thanks! :thumb:
This was just what I was looking for. With OpenPlotter I can plug my USB AIS receiver in my Raspberry-Pi and the Raspberry sends the AIS-signal via WiFi to OpenCPN on my smartphone and tablet. Tested it out whilst sailing today and works great!
Roel

Thanks for your feedback Roel. Glad to read yo like it. Many people are testing the system now and I think that soon there will be software and hardware enhancements.

Sailoog 21-09-2015 04:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by boat_alexandra (Post 1918411)
My idea is to take the cheapest possible display then simply remove the backlight leds, and add about 10x the number of lumens in leds. Do not underestimate the need for heat sinks though, or it can melt. I'm talking about 50 or more watts of leds for a 10 inch display. Of course you will need a driver for the leds with a knob to adjust.

This might not be as efficient as a proper trans reflective display, but I know for a fact it will work and is for sure the cheapest option. Also, solar power is already available when it's needed the most so I wouldn't see much issue there.

I could be completely wrong, but maybe it's possible also the peel the back of the lcd and replace it with something reflective to reflect sunlight back giving additional brightness.

Glad to see you in this post boat_alexandra!

I think what you say makes sense.

I have always been concerned about the extra consumption of these displays but never realized that you will have the largest energy source :facepalm:

Light sensors could be a possible improvement...

seandepagnier 21-09-2015 07:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailoog (Post 1918858)
Glad to see you in this post boat_alexandra!

I have tried openplotter today. Great work, but a few things:

1) Why don't you overclock by default to the rpi2 setting?
2) Why is the image so big? I don't understand it with so few programs. At least provide xz compression which should reduce it to 900mb or so.
3) The beta opencpn already runs a bit faster...

Finally I am getting opencpn to use opengl with acceleration on the pi.

Initial tests are crashing because gpu mem was only 16mb (I must increase the split but also make it not crash)

I must migrate to openglesv2 because right now there is no accelerated panning or texture compression which is a complete performance killer, but I can already see that the framerate is about 30 frames per second on 1280x768 for raster charts when zooming (before it dies) compared to 3-4 frames a second without opengl. I didn't even overclock it, and it's possible to double the gpu from 250mhz to 500mhz for example.

Also a terrible problem with it continuing to zoom or pan for many seconds after you stop, I really should fix this before anything else.

And the final problem of dealing with running this in a window which is still not fully resolved.. it's currently handled in a rather broken way.

Quote:

I think what you say makes sense.

I have always been concerned about the extra consumption of these displays but never realized that you will have the largest energy source :facepalm:

Light sensors could be a possible improvement...
As far as the daylight visible display, this is really the missing piece to open plotter and what you can really sell as a useful product. I am too busy with software and lack services as I am always underway but I would be really interested to hear about any experiments you try. There are $20 hdmi displays on ali express that are 7 inch, or $50 for 10 inch. I would try just replacing the leds with as many high density leds as you can fit and adding heat sinks. This is how they do it for avionics, and even sometimes they put fans in which would be nice to avoid, but maybe it's required in the hot sun pumping lots of power.

As far as a light sensor, I completely agree. This can probably go into the pi but not sure about adc conversion or you might need a spi adc. Also a temperature sensor is really needed as well. The pi can then control the brightness (or maybe you can hack it into the lcd's brightness controller and control it over hdmi) and the pi can also control fans if needed.

As far as touch screens, I think capacitive touch screens are already the best for daylight visible (better than no touch screen) and maybe it also could use a few buttons here and there which get remapped to keys on the keyboard to control opencpn, or just some kind of waterproof keyboard, I don't know. I also don't know about touchscreens when they get wet, but I have heard there are some special ones for this, or maybe you can use a special pen.

Then the whole thing should be waterproofed so it can actually work completely underwater or else it will always eventually break and you will have a failed product.

Sailoog 21-09-2015 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by boat_alexandra (Post 1918987)
1) Why don't you overclock by default to the rpi2 setting?

By the time the first releases of openplotter were liberated, there was a performance problems with the highest overclock so we set it to "High". Next release we can try again with "Pi2".

Quote:

2) Why is the image so big? I don't understand it with so few programs. At least provide xz compression which should reduce it to 900mb or so.

We try to make it as small as we can removing not vital Raspbian packages but despite so few programs there are a lot of dependencies. You can take a look here: https://github.com/sailoog/openplotter/wiki
It is a zip compression to make it easy for windows users but we will add a xz file too.

Quote:

3) The beta opencpn already runs a bit faster...

On version openplotter 0.4.2 there was opencpn beta installed but with crashes so we decided to use only stable versions.

Quote:

Finally I am getting opencpn to use opengl with acceleration on the pi.

Initial tests are crashing because gpu mem was only 16mb (I must increase the split but also make it not crash)

I must migrate to openglesv2 because right now there is no accelerated panning or texture compression which is a complete performance killer, but I can already see that the framerate is about 30 frames per second on 1280x768 for raster charts when zooming (before it dies) compared to 3-4 frames a second without opengl. I didn't even overclock it, and it's possible to double the gpu from 250mhz to 500mhz for example.

Also a terrible problem with it continuing to zoom or pan for many seconds after you stop, I really should fix this before anything else.

And the final problem of dealing with running this in a window which is still not fully resolved.. it's currently handled in a rather broken way.

That sounds a lot of work... I know you are working hard on OpenCPN. This is beyond my knowledge, so let me know if you want some kind of test or anything else.

Quote:

As far as the daylight visible display, this is really the missing piece to open plotter and what you can really sell as a useful product. I am too busy with software and lack services as I am always underway but I would be really interested to hear about any experiments you try. There are $20 hdmi displays on ali express that are 7 inch, or $50 for 10 inch. I would try just replacing the leds with as many high density leds as you can fit and adding heat sinks. This is how they do it for avionics, and even sometimes they put fans in which would be nice to avoid, but maybe it's required in the hot sun pumping lots of power.

As far as a light sensor, I completely agree. This can probably go into the pi but not sure about adc conversion or you might need a spi adc. Also a temperature sensor is really needed as well. The pi can then control the brightness (or maybe you can hack it into the lcd's brightness controller and control it over hdmi) and the pi can also control fans if needed.

As far as touch screens, I think capacitive touch screens are already the best for daylight visible (better than no touch screen) and maybe it also could use a few buttons here and there which get remapped to keys on the keyboard to control opencpn, or just some kind of waterproof keyboard, I don't know. I also don't know about touchscreens when they get wet, but I have heard there are some special ones for this, or maybe you can use a special pen.

We agree here too. The problem is that we are a small team and we lack knowledge in this area. However, we have some boards and displays that you are referring and we promise to do our best.. So far we have focused resources on the waterproof case.

Quote:

Then the whole thing should be waterproofed so it can actually work completely underwater or else it will always eventually break and you will have a failed product.

We want the whole thing as modular as possible and since there are a lot of people using OpenPlotter without screen we are thinking in 2 separate parts, a case with Pi + optional accessories and a screen. Our goal was IP68/IP67 as well but we came across a problem... condensation due to temperature/pressure difference. Now we are experimenting with different pressure valves.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

hzcruiser 22-09-2015 03:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailoog (Post 1918839)
Hi hzcruiser,

I am going to send you a dropbox link by private message. Let us know if you start seeding a torrent file please. Thanks!

Thanks for the link, here we go:

openplotter_rpi_v0.5.0.img.zip
size: 1459348864
MD5SUM: 2f87309a56f59c3d46266853269e91ff

The .xz file is 20% smaller albeit still >1GB:

openplotter_rpi_v0.5.0.img.xz
size: 1153485832
MD5SUM: 0b34513e5bdd818c077695088b0dab1d

Both are available via different trackers and should pop up on sites like:

https://isohunt.to/torrents/?ihq=openplotter

in a few hours.

Sailoog 22-09-2015 04:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by hzcruiser (Post 1919717)
Thanks for the link, here we go:

openplotter_rpi_v0.5.0.img.zip
size: 1459348864
MD5SUM: 2f87309a56f59c3d46266853269e91ff

The .xz file is 20% smaller albeit still >1GB:

openplotter_rpi_v0.5.0.img.xz
size: 1153485832
MD5SUM: 0b34513e5bdd818c077695088b0dab1d

Both are available via different trackers and should pop up on sites like:

https://isohunt.to/torrents/?ihq=openplotter

in a few hours.

wow thanks!

Downloaded zip format and added torrent file to project download page.
Waiting for xz file to spread.

:thumb: