Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look. (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/single-men-living-aboard-and-cruising-an-honest-look-152569.html)

Tempest245 06-09-2015 09:54

Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Well, what I wouldn't do, is trade one DIY project for another! Dump the boat, and Buy something ready to go. Be it a boat, an RV or whatever. It doesn't seem like there's a lot to think about. Step 1.) Get out from under this boat, which is an anchor to you.
Step 2.) Purchase your Mobile Pad 3.) Go

Remember that whereever you go, there you are. If the boat is your only issue then that's easy enough to solve. After that, you just have to cross each bridge as it comes.

MarinerJo 06-09-2015 10:01

Stop whining. Sell the boat already, seriously. Life is too short and you OBVIOUSLY don't like working on it. You keep answering your own questions, man. A box truck for the Ladies?? Really??:facepalm:

tinkrman69 06-09-2015 10:02

I'v been in lust many times and every time the relationship failed, some painfully. I've had two relationships built out of love. My soulmate, who has passed from this plane and the sea who I'm with now. I would love to find another soulmate to share my other love with. I don't know what she looks like or how old she is, but I do know that sharing lust with my other love doesn't work. Any positive memories are faint at best and most are absent. I wasn't actively looking for a partner when I met Francie, but the connection was instant and memories unforgettable. After she passed life was miserable. But then I reconnected with my other love, the sea. during the miserable time I got into three other relationships. Lust was my guiding light. God that sucked. Life lived in love has brought peace back into my life. Maybe I'll find another "soulmate" before I leave this plane or maybe not. I'll still have a lot of memories and continue to make more. I've learned that lust is shallow. I prefer to live deep.

PEACE LUV & HAPPINESS

CREX 06-09-2015 10:04

Hi 2hullvenus,
Really understand your entire deal. Great empathy. Lots of solid advice given. My 2 cents: I did both. Found a love, 17 years strong now. She loved living on the boat, much smaller boat than yours, and loved sailing, but not a cruiser. So we bought a trailer and did work camping. Bought a nice motorcycle, for my need of wind, and travelled and worked. Found the camping community to be very much the same type of friendly folk as sailors. Money always an issue so bought a nice trailer sailor. C-27. Selling that now to upgrade my Goldwing. Will keep my Venture of Newport for fun. My point is I'm done with the tremendous increase in owning a big boat. Maybe you are too? Like to travel but true sailing woman are just not in abundance. Compromise no, simply Content with less to do more with a perfect love. I've sailed a lot of places, travelled the country and met so many cool people, have my personal ride to get away. Driving a motorcycle with or without my lady through places like Moab and Arches national park, Durango, entire Southwest, Rockies... is very satisfying and fills my somewhat emptiness of the open sea. I was a liveaboard 100 capt in Florida for years. I'm positioning again now and have learned boating, biking, camping, travelling in various ways is simply more fun than just the constant sailing grind. Versatility is the spice. Do it all brother! Sell big buy small and own your life and share your soul. Woman are everywhere and you can be too. Enjoy all the fruits, just don't become one. IMHO. Good luck...

2hullvenus 06-09-2015 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest245 (Post 1908576)
Well, what I wouldn't do, is trade one DIY project for another! Dump the boat, and Buy something ready to go. Be it a boat, an RV or whatever. It doesn't seem like there's a lot to think about. Step 1.) Get out from under this boat, which is an anchor to you.
Step 2.) Purchase your Mobile Pad 3.) Go

Remember that whereever you go, there you are. If the boat is your only issue then that's easy enough to solve. After that, you just have to cross each bridge as it comes.

Excellent advice.

Maybe a candidate for the "cheap multihulls and project boat" thread. :biggrin:

Going to step away from the thread a bit, sit back and really give everything said here some thought....

Exile 06-09-2015 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2hullvenus (Post 1908574)
For clarity... this is the "box truck" I'd get. I think it looks nice... no?

https://i1.wp.com/morganolson.com/wp-...0/UDV_Main.jpg

Just out of curiosity, why not the camper versions of the Sprinters vs. the box trucks? Stupidly expensive I know, but as an RV you can get 30-year financing, and then there's always the used market. I know you say it's for you to travel overland in and not for the gals you hope to date, but the box truck just looks like another project to make it liveable.

sailorchic34 06-09-2015 10:07

Dump the 50 foot albtross of a boat. You don't have enough funds, time or health to finish it, let alone sail it. Plus it sounds like your not really a sailor anyway. If you enjoyed sailing and harbor hopping, then I recommend buying a smaller boat, say a nice 36 foot anything. Ton's O women sailing with guys on 36-40 boats.

Don't see the panel truck working real well for you. Sure one night stands, but for a month or a year, your going to need something that shows a tad better.

Don't mess with the panel truck. Get a small used and clean class C RV for $20k and take it on the road. You'll be Waaaay head in the game with that, rather then a panel truck. You can get the first date with a panel truck, but not the third. No way, no how.

Heck, Buy a harley and take it on the road. Most women will think your a doctor or lawyer then.

The best way of find your partner in life is do what you love, and they will find you.

Alas most women who love boating are over 45-50. Very few 25-35 year old women what anything to do with boating or RV's. They have to get that whole married with children thingy out of their systems first.

boatman61 06-09-2015 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2hullvenus (Post 1908574)
For clarity... this is the "box truck" I'd get. I think it looks nice... no?

https://i1.wp.com/morganolson.com/wp-...0/UDV_Main.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qev-i9-VKlY

2hullvenus 06-09-2015 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREX (Post 1908583)
Hi 2hullvenus,
Really understand your entire deal. Great empathy. Lots of solid advice given. My 2 cents: I did both. Found a love, 17 years strong now. She loved living on the boat, much smaller boat than yours, and loved sailing, but not a cruiser. So we bought a trailer and did work camping. Bought a nice motorcycle, for my need of wind, and travelled and worked. Found the camping community to be very much the same type of friendly folk as sailors. Money always an issue so bought a nice trailer sailor. C-27. Selling that now to upgrade my Goldwing. Will keep my Venture of Newport for fun. My point is I'm done with the tremendous increase in owning a big boat. Maybe you are too? Like to travel but true sailing woman are just not in abundance. Compromise no, simply Content with less to do more with a perfect love. I've sailed a lot of places, travelled the country and met so many cool people, have my personal ride to get away. Driving a motorcycle with or without my lady through places like Moab and Arches national park, Durango, entire Southwest, Rockies... is very satisfying and fills my somewhat emptiness of the open sea. I was a liveaboard 100 capt in Florida for years. I'm positioning again now and have learned boating, biking, camping, travelling in various ways is simply more fun than just the constant sailing grind. Versatility is the spice. Do it all brother! Sell big buy small and own your life and share your soul. Woman are everywhere and you can be too. Enjoy all the fruits, just don't become one. IMHO. Good luck...

This!!! Exactly!!!!

This is what I want to do.

I go with my younger girl friends to festivals. I want to do burning man, hard festival, Coachella, see all sorts of different things other than light houses and channel markers. Go hiking, mountain biking, woofing, etc...

I figure I can just charter a boat for myself and whoever when I have a need for the ocean.... or drive up to it.

Honestly, your setup sounds fantastic. I'm wanting to follow in your footsteps.

Thank you for shining a little validation on my thoughts of change.

It's really hard to let go of the sea, but when the alternative sounds as awesome as your setup,it seems much easier.

Talelajo 06-09-2015 10:14

A woman's viewpoint:
sounds like midlife crisis. Sounds like you are more committed to your self-image as a hottie-magnet stud than you are to sailing or meaningful relationships. Okay then. If that's following your bliss right now, go for it. Move to Hottieville - the nearest big city with a college- and blissfully chase hotties. And 5 years from now when you realize just how meaningless that is, you'll be back on this forum looking for a boat, complaining about how you can't find a woman who wants to sail with you. Uh, dude. They are all busy following their own bliss, and that prob. includes being real.

Tempest245 06-09-2015 10:15

Here's a Mercedes that's ready to go! Leisure Travel Vans - Unity - Photo Gallery

Listen to Sailorchic "The best way of find your partner in life is do what you love, and they will find you."

2hullvenus 06-09-2015 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile (Post 1908585)
Just out of curiosity, why not the camper versions of the Sprinters vs. the box trucks? Stupidly expensive I know, but as an RV you can get 30-year financing, and then there's always the used market. I know you say it's for you to travel overland in and not for the gals you hope to date, but the box truck just looks like another project to make it liveable.

Good point... and I'm tempted, but... I actually do like/enjoy creating things that don't take half a decade to do.

I can whip out a box truck systems/interior in 3 mos by myself. I like the satisfaction of doing it myself. Have done ot multiple times before. I don't even have to think. Just do.

Also, the exterior of RVs are (trying not to use offensive words to homosexuals or mentally challenged folks).... really poorly decorated. I want it to look cool like these do.

Wendi 06-09-2015 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailorchic34 (Post 1908586)
Dump the 50 foot albtross of a boat. You don't have enough funds, time or health to finish it, let alone sail it. Plus it sounds like your not really a sailor anyway. If you enjoyed sailing and harbor hopping, then I recommend buying a smaller boat, say a nice 36 foot anything. Ton's O women sailing with guys on 36-40 boats.

Don't see the panel truck working real well for you. Sure one night stands, but for a month or a year, your going to need something that shows a tad better.

Don't mess with the panel truck. Get a small used and clean class C RV for $20k and take it on the road. You'll be Waaaay head in the game with that, rather then a panel truck. You can get the first date with a panel truck, but not the third. No way, no how.

Heck, Buy a harley and take it on the road. Most women will think your a doctor or lawyer then.

The best way of find your partner in life is do what you love, and they will find you.

Alas most women who love boating are over 45-50. Very few 25-35 year old women what anything to do with boating or RV's. They have to get that whole married with children thingy out of their systems first.

The Harley- funny. But you can find some very interesting and adventurous women to hop on the back and tour the country with you. The RV is the ticket. Women need a house, even if it is little and cozy. An RV can be a really comfortable way for women to have their house and go on a big adventure.

2hullvenus 06-09-2015 10:29

"Do what you love and they will find you."

Truer words have never been spoken.

I love to travel, not to muck around with fiberglass, epoxy, paint and other hazardous crap.

Always viewed boats as a great way to travel. Just not building one.

Box trucks don't affect my dating, though. I did the same with my last one as I do right now.

This is going to sound terrible, but im baring all here...

I meet about 1 new girl a day, narrow that down to 2 or 3 new dates a week. I narrow that down to only really cool ones who don't mind my van for example that I already did this in to a limited extent.

(keep in mind nobody knows anything about this until 3 rd date or so)

After all that narrowing, I still have a new girl every week or 2. They haven't been compatible or haven't been down with boats.

Several have been down for traveling in a custom RV, but the boat project prevented me from doing that.

Literally lost 3 to other dudes with RVs. No joke. They do want road trips and international travel. They care nothing foir boats, in my experience.

2hullvenus 06-09-2015 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest245 (Post 1908592)
Here's a Mercedes that's ready to go! Leisure Travel Vans - Unity - Photo Gallery

Listen to Sailorchic "The best way of find your partner in life is do what you love, and they will find you."

Good lord that Unity is perfect!

Exile 06-09-2015 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 1908589)

:biggrin::biggrin: Come to think of it, I kinda liked the Sprinter vans better when they were sportin' the badging that just said 'Dodge'.

OS2Dude 06-09-2015 10:37

After my first wife passed, I too spent my share of time in the bottom of a bottle then chasing tail. It was fun, and it served a purpose at the time. But after a while I realized neither really made me truly happy. 'Nubile Young Females' are not in it for YOU, they are in it for what you can give them.

If working on a boat is a chore and not a labor of love, Sell it. If you really don't love being on any boat, then get an RV or something. If you just don't love being on THAT particular boat, think about selling the one you have and getting one that does not require that much work.

You can find a woman that will want to share the things in your life that you truly love to do. But first YOU have to know what they are.

Good Luck

2hullvenus 06-09-2015 10:45

90% sure there is going to be one HELL of a boat going up for sale soon with "make reasonable offers" type pricing.

It's navigable as a power boat, has a galley and crew berth. Needs the interior done.

If I could have found one of these for sale, I probably wouldn't be where I am right now, giving up. I'm too sick of the work.

I want to travel and then do some little homesteading/farming stuff as i get older. I want comfort.

I think I am done, but will sleep on it.

Tempest245 06-09-2015 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2hullvenus (Post 1908601)

Yeah, I thought you might like it. And, you don't have to spend months building it.

exMaggieDrum 06-09-2015 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailorchic34 (Post 1908586)

What she said! But you need to decide if you want to cruise the seas or just reconfirm your own hotness by landing the next hottie. Not sure you will be able to do that if by some misfortune you found someone who wanted to stay.

Wendi 06-09-2015 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2hullvenus (Post 1908601)

Yup, that Unity RV is a sexy, sexy thing... might be just what you need. The women folk will love it. And you are right, there is such a balance that you can have by exploring the land, and have a great RV to make life comfortable. I was at a music festival recently and the man pulled up next to me with his new mercedes van, no interior yet. He got divorced and decided to hit the road traveling to music festivals. I think he was planning on fixing up the interior. But in the meantime, he figured out how to strap his tent to the roof (very high roof on those mercedes vans) and he built a ladder to get up there. Did all that figuring out stuff while sober, yes indeed... but what he did not factor in was how he would climb that ladder at night after the booze and drugs. He did not get to spend one night in his rooftop penthouse tent during that festival.

jreiter190 06-09-2015 10:59

Can you not tell when your leg is being pulled? No one's going to change this guy's mind in any way. Stop encouraging him. He's just bored.

Wendi 06-09-2015 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jreiter190 (Post 1908629)
Can you not tell when your leg is being pulled? No one's going to change this guy's mind in any way. Stop encouraging him. He's just bored.

What if I am bored too? :octo::jump:

Exile 06-09-2015 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2hullvenus (Post 1908598)
"Do what you love and they will find you."

Truer words have never been spoken.

I love to travel, not to muck around with fiberglass, epoxy, paint and other hazardous crap.

Always viewed boats as a great way to travel. Just not building one.

Box trucks don't affect my dating, though. I did the same with my last one as I do right now.

This is going to sound terrible, but im baring all here...

I meet about 1 new girl a day, narrow that down to 2 or 3 new dates a week. I narrow that down to only really cool ones who don't mind my van for example that I already did this in to a limited extent.

(keep in mind nobody knows anything about this until 3 rd date or so)

After all that narrowing, I still have a new girl every week or 2. They haven't been compatible or haven't been down with boats.

Several have been down for traveling in a custom RV, but the boat project prevented me from doing that.

Literally lost 3 to other dudes with RVs. No joke. They do want road trips and international travel. They care nothing foir boats, in my experience.

That just sounds like a lot of work!:danger: All those 1st through 3rd-4th dates that is. No wonder the boat project consumes whatever time you may have remaining! :facepalm:

PortClydeMe 06-09-2015 11:02

Quote:

...and lonely, and licking wounds, and somewhat delusional.:wink:

CLady 06-09-2015 11:04

I love this forum--where else can you get so much incredible information ensconced in so much entertainment?

On the other side of this discussion, a real sailor lass who loves everything about boats/boating, long passages, improvising, periods of comfort deprivation, long watches, etc., it is a challenge to find good single men who have realistic assessments of themselves as sailors, craftsmen, etc. Example:
a good friend of mine did a fabulous job rebuilding the engine on his great sailboat that he had fully refit. We went for a sail, and yes, that engine purred when leaving and then returning to the slip. Upon looking at the beautiful job reinstalling the engine-- "ooing and ahhhing" at the installation, I noticed that the non-metal gas tank was deformed and looking dangerously old and decrepit. It was trapped in its perch behind the newly rebuilt and installed engine and certainly would require removing the engine again to get it out. I was stupified that he had not thoroughly gone through the whole engine compartment/area before reinstalling the engine to have reevaluated the viability of this old gas tank, (gas, not diesel). I made a mental note not to go sailing on his boat again with that sketchy tank. He seemed mortified that he hadn't thought of looking at the tank. (I was mortified that he hadn't taken advantage of the engine being out to thoroughly go through the whole compartment). It left me wondering what else needed closer attention on his boat--i.e. through-hull valves, dripless gland, electrical., batteries, etc.--things that keep the boat afloat and going--safely.

I have sailed with many couples to many distant places and the most harmonious experiences on their boats were not necessarily the "lap of comfort", but the mutual ongoing consideration of each other and appreciation/regard for each other--good solid people that are not necessarily the "hottie" couple, but with a mutual love of adventure and exploration.

garrobito 06-09-2015 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 1908425)
Sell it and get something smaller and ready to go..
Face it.. your a single guy and getting older.. time to give up the fantasy's of filling those staterooms with nubile, willing hotties and face facts..
1% of women love boats.. the other 99% view them as something to sip cocktails on in a calm sea anchored by a white beach fringed with palm trees.. then after sunset go home to the big bathroom and air conditioning..:biggrin:
The 'Headless Chicken Dance' is a waste of time..:thumb:

:deadhorsebeat::deadhorsebeat::deadhorsebeat: why??? I expect do that... if my wife allow me... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Talelajo 06-09-2015 11:08

Nice post, OS2Dude. I love this forum.
2hullvenus, your post re burning man is a lot more real than the hottie chick stuff.You've been sounding really shallow and needy. So do yourself a favor and listen to the advice given here, not about which RV to get, but about listening to real self first, not that frantic panicky ugly voice that screams at you.
Road trip time. I spent decades solo camping in the north and west, and it will heal you. Follow the weather: Big Bend, Chaco, Escalante, Death Valley, then up next spring to Wind River, Whitehorse, Kluane and Denali. By the time you hit Burning man next year, you'll be so much closer to being whole.
Good luck -

2hullvenus 06-09-2015 11:19

More great advice. Thank you.

And the humor is much appreciated. ha ha ha

2hullvenus 06-09-2015 11:21

Quote:

Wish I was bored.

Want to drive over to meet me?

Less than 2 hours from Melbourne this weekend. Flying out Wednesday.

CLady 06-09-2015 11:23

This thread is filling with some really great posts--real heart and soul!
C Lady

avb3 06-09-2015 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2hullvenus (Post 1908594)
Good point... and I'm tempted, but... I actually do like/enjoy creating things that don't take half a decade to do.

I can whip out a box truck systems/interior in 3 mos by myself. I like the satisfaction of doing it myself. Have done ot multiple times before. I don't even have to think. Just do.

Also, the exterior of RVs are (trying not to use offensive words to homosexuals or mentally challenged folks).... really poorly decorated. I want it to look cool like these do.

Those Sprinters are expensive, and a homemade RV resale value is virtually zilch. Think ferro boat.

brownoarsman 06-09-2015 11:25

Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

We seem to like and do similar things, so let me just say that my opinion on that "do what you love and you'll find the woman" line is that it is crap and a worthless platitude.
I can count on two fingers the number of women I know who like to sail, surf, white water kayak, camp, hike, climb gnarly walls, live for months at a time in a style not far above camping, etc. Both are already married.
I can't count high enough to list the number of guy friends I have who are looking for a partner that does all that stuff. Bottom line, the odds are not in your favor.
That said, every girl is interested in the guy with cool stories that can entertain and spark dreams, and you make for great first dates and cocktail party conversations. But that doesn't last long until the wanderlust seizes you again and the girl you've been with isn't ready to go. It sounds like you've discovered that. Maybe try your luck in Colorado or a state full of similar outdoorsy people.
You've got two options finding the girl you want to be with while doing the things you love: hope it all works out (probably a 1:25 chance) or spark a dream in just the right lady where she'll do it with you (be prepared to cast a huge net to snare the one). The other route is compromise, and I don't think you're there yet, and for those of us who love being out there more than watching Netflix, compromise is a tough thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

brownoarsman 06-09-2015 11:28

But yeah, second doing what you want to do, right now. It may burn it out of your system, and then you'll be willing to slow down a bit or reorient. For instance, I'm almost over extended months-long solo sailing-that was my chance to recoup and it worked great.

Tempest245 06-09-2015 11:36

The thing about doing what you love..and meeting someone, is that...if you don't meet someone, you're still doing what you love. I suppose, one could always try loving something else, that attracts more like-minded females. Which could be end up being just as hit or miss.

2hullvenus 06-09-2015 11:43

Last 3 posts agree 100% with my own life experience.

Compromise is where it seems to be at.

Travel is my only requirement, not boats per se.

AndrewPerry 06-09-2015 11:58

Listen to yourselves boys. The original post was bad enough but you all then came in with the most childish boystuff I have ever had the misfortune to read. I have signed on to this forum as I am learning and thought I might get some interesting and worthwhile information from experts. I am sure you are all "old salts", christ I am sure in your heads you get off on all that and that is the problem. Every time I read these threads all I hear is subtle/unsubtle ways of telling each other what great sailors/lovers/people/GODS you all are. But this one took the biscuit. The original question? was perhaps the most nauseating of all. I am gorgeous but I think my boat is getting in the way of my GODLIKE MACHO (although I am perhaps the world's greatest sailor). What do you think? Answer: Each of us thinks that we know better/are better at loving/sailing/living than you.

This is a basic summary of the advice on this blog but today it got a little too blatant. I am cancelling my connection. SNIPE ON YOU SAILING GODS.

:peace:

brownoarsman 06-09-2015 12:03

Are you kidding? No one on this thread has even talked about sailing. We've talked about a boat in progress that isn't being used. Sailing never came up.
As far as the boystuff, these are real concerns that impact a bunch of people. The number of older men who have told me they'd wished they'd done what I did (take off in the twenties and sail around a bit before committing to marriage, careers) is very high.
Mid-courtship/past marriage the balance of these desires will play a crucial role in the happiness of both partners.

Anyways, the last few dating conversations I've had have gone like this: "you just took off and went sailing?! That's so cool, I wish I could do that" followed by, "so, you're done now though, right? Like, forever?"

monte 06-09-2015 12:13

Aha, great thread. Thanks 2hv. Wouldn't it be crazy if you met the woman of your dreams right here in this thread...single, adventurous, loves to travel and have fun and already owns a finished catamaran....

Wendi 06-09-2015 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by monte (Post 1908691)
Aha, great thread. Thanks 2hv. Wouldn't it be crazy if you met the woman of your dreams right here in this thread...single, adventurous, loves to travel and have fun and already owns a finished catamaran....

Ummm, eeeerrrr.... not really sure he is my type. But thanks for playin ;) :banghead: