Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look. (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/single-men-living-aboard-and-cruising-an-honest-look-152569.html)

P3sailor 02-01-2018 06:57

Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.
 
Pelagic, what you've stated about the P.I. is nothing new. The country has had terrible leaders for as long as I remember and with very little industry on many/most of the island provinces, the locals either fish or farm, selling their goods at the local markets, if they can and if some gringo is willing to pay more for something they will surely take advantage of the situation.

Suijin 02-01-2018 08:57

Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile (Post 2541989)
Mostly true. It's more about human interpretation of religion than religion itself, which I believe is a critical distinction. For example, I have several friends who consider themselves pretty devout adherents to their religion's tenets, but will have as little as possible to do with their church hierarchy which they view as untrustworthy if not corrupt. So they choose where they worship carefully, and try & make sure that all of their donations stay local.

You can't say it's more about human interpretation of religion when religion itself is a human construct. It's nothing BUT interpretation. Any given established religion has adherents all along the spectrum from conservative to liberal. There is no objective "truth" in any religious text that you can point to as the "correct" or "base" interpretation.

There's no doubt that religion has acted as a civilizing force over the course of human history, formalizing and codifying moral concepts that are mostly innate (Recent research shows that dogs have a conscience and a sense of fairness. Imagine that.) particularly when and where literacy was low or nonexistent. But it's not a stretch to say that more more people have been killed over the course of human history over religious differences than any other cause.

john61ct 02-01-2018 09:11

Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by weavis (Post 2547202)
I want one just like her.

Better to be self-sufficient in my experience.

Not saying don't get a partner, just don't depend on them for your day-to-day dealings with the community around you.

And speaking the lingo, knowing the culture yourself will increase your odds of finding a good one.

JPA Cate 02-01-2018 12:51

Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.
 
I would say this about seeking out a partner from another culture, to simply be aware that there will be differences you don't anticipate, and they will need to be talked about and worked on with compromises.

Other than that, if you would rather be partnered, spend some serious time considering what you really want, get really clear. Write down your requirements like you would do if you were looking for a new boat. Prioritize them. Some guys want equal partners, some don't, and of course, some (like Greta Garbo) want to be alone. Fwiw, I think the older you are, the harder it will be to find an age cohort to be a partner, so it might not be worth the candle, so to speak.



Ann

boatpoker 02-01-2018 13:12

Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JPA Cate (Post 2547388)

Other than that, if you would rather be partnered, spend some serious time considering what you really want, get really clear. Write down your requirements like you would do if you were looking for a new boat. Prioritize them.

Ann

My brother whom I admire tremendously is one of the smartest most considerate, loving, methodical people I have ever met. Buying a car, a stereo or a house is a very complicated process for him. He'll spend weeks with lists, spreadsheets, cost benefit analysis etc.

He took the same approach to finding his first wife. I remember a few things from his list .... intelligent, independent, competent .... he forget to list loving and compassionate. That list got him the most evil bitch to ever walk this planet.

JPA Cate 02-01-2018 13:47

Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.
 
Loving, compassionate, good sense of humor, makes you feel good just to be around them, financially responsible, intelligent, persevering, good in a crisis, similar world view ...... lots of requirements....my list ran to 23 items.....

But I get what you're getting at, even a good list isn't a guarantee....:wink:

Ann

weavis 02-01-2018 14:16

Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.
 
What??!!
I make an off the cuff comment and I'm besieged with advice. :whistling:
Thats funny....:smile:

Guys Ive lived and worked in foreign countries all of my adult life. Im fairly aware of cultural differences and not 'relying' on women, learning the language etc etc..

I live in Spain right now and will be in Hong Kong, Australia and Israel in 3 or so months.... I think I got my independence from women thing sorted.

But thanks anyway.... finding a good Filipina is not as easy as one would think... the attachment to family and expectations of the man to help with paying for them is a difficult one....but when you find a good one... she is the best.

:thumb:

goat 02-01-2018 14:58

Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by boatpoker (Post 2547404)
My brother whom I admire tremendously is one of the smartest most considerate, loving, methodical people I have ever met. Buying a car, a stereo or a house is a very complicated process for him. He'll spend weeks with lists, spreadsheets, cost benefit analysis etc.

He took the same approach to finding his first wife. I remember a few things from his list .... intelligent, independent, competent .... he forget to list loving and compassionate. That list got him the most evil bitch to ever walk this planet.

Worth reading, "The Rosie Project". Might make him feel better when she's not around.

Also, I think I've gone out with your sister-in-law's sister.

goat

Larry Florida 02-01-2018 15:08

Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by weavis (Post 2547446)
... finding a good Filipina is not as easy as one would think...

:thumb:

True but still very easy compared to finding a compatible western woman

Olddan1943 02-01-2018 15:15

Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by boatpoker (Post 2547404)
My brother whom I admire tremendously is one of the smartest most considerate, loving, methodical people I have ever met. Buying a car, a stereo or a house is a very complicated process for him. He'll spend weeks with lists, spreadsheets, cost benefit analysis etc.

He took the same approach to finding his first wife. I remember a few things from his list .... intelligent, independent, competent .... he forget to list loving and compassionate. That list got him the most evil bitch to ever walk this planet.

LOL Based upon your description of your brother's wife, you and I are brothers.

cyan 02-01-2018 15:18

Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by weavis (Post 2547446)
But thanks anyway.... finding a good Filipina is not as easy as one would think... the attachment to family and expectations of the man to help with paying for them is a difficult one....but when you find a good one... she is the best.
:thumb:

Me thinks you left out one or two secrets that might apply to an older Western man who would not be frowned upon with a much younger Pinay partner. If you can get past feeling like a meal ticket, the living like a king angle is something you often hear about when you run across expats in SE Asia.

weavis 02-01-2018 15:24

Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyan (Post 2547496)
Me thinks you left out one or two secrets that might apply to an older Western man who would not be frowned upon with a much younger Pinay partner. If you can get past feeling like a meal ticket, the living like a king angle is something you often hear about when you run across expats in SE Asia.

Its hard to be sure about real feelings though when that is the criteria. :thumb:

Olddan1943 02-01-2018 15:32

Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by weavis (Post 2547500)
Its hard to be sure about real feelings though when that is the criteria. :thumb:

Just stop feeding them and see what happens. LOL

cyan 02-01-2018 15:32

Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by weavis (Post 2547500)
Its hard to be sure about real feelings though when that is the criteria. :thumb:

You make a good point. However, similar concerns can happen when a Western woman gets together with said Western man.

weavis 02-01-2018 15:33

Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyan (Post 2547510)
You make a good point. However, similar concerns can happen when a Western woman gets together with said Western man.

Thats it!

Im getting me a dog.....

:thumb:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:53.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.