Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look. (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/single-men-living-aboard-and-cruising-an-honest-look-152569.html)

gamayun 17-11-2018 19:19

Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

1 Attachment(s)
And now the fish....Attachment 180795

lorrie 17-11-2018 20:01

I should not be surprised at the well thought out comments on this subject. A few years ago I commented about a man that wanted a lady of over 50 years old to leave her home, car and job to go sailing for as long as it is fun. My comment was to have something to come back to and how long are you employable? I agree that woman have discounted themself setting aside their dreams for a person that is not committed to a relationship. Becsuse there are so many willing to accept this type of relationship. A woman that expects more is odd and many men will walk away from any relationship that requires effort or committment. I also have decided if someone doesnt match up with my life to not invest time or attachment. We have all become a little detatched. Not opposed to commitment, married for 26 years and raised a family. You cannot know if she will like cruising, she may not know herself, yes the percentages are low so maybe spend some time sailing. I ventured out to try cruising and connected with a single sailor that claimed he wanted someone to share it with, first as crew and later in a relationship, only to end up on the rocks literally. I found that this man didnt give a rats ass about my needs when the boat literally sank with all my belongings,,no honey are you OK, nothing! It goes both ways. I know couples who pocket cruise winters and live on land in summer. Comprimise is sometimes needed. No one should give up their life to commit to someone for as long as it is fun. I feel that both Men and women have lost the importance of providing a secure environment in which Love can grow. Really is sad but Im saving my heart for someone thst is emotionally available snd understands what it takes to enjoy a life together. Some of us just remain single because it is the path of least resistance. Humans were created to be interdependent and somewhere things got screwed up.

gamayun 17-11-2018 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorrie (Post 2763679)
Some of us just remain single because it is the path of least resistance.

Ah Lorrie, I'm so sorry. Can you share more about what happened with the grounding? I have noticed that many women trust their (male) partners implicitly because they think they don't have the competencies or skills to question the guy. Trust is absolutely not a bad thing per se; it's just a little misplaced sometimes. And compromise can be a tough skill to master....

gamayun 18-11-2018 08:34

Now this is heart warming. Falling head over heels in love at 90 with a rocking big wedding at 93. She might even call him her "boy toy," too ;)

Old-school love: 93-year-old widow marries 87-year-old widower
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...e-married-age/

piloto 19-11-2018 05:43

keep looking and remain open to finding love, companionship and mutual trust and, as to placing "trust" (nautically speaking) in the competence of sailing, be it man or woman, without ego tripping this should be sorting itself out anyway (if you were on the same page anyway). Some events occur that even the "captain" can't forsee or prevent, others are able to be sorted out with perseverance as a prime determining factor (hopefully accompanied by skill set necessary to effect desired outcome). Gamayun, I see the boat, the fish, but the worm grunting eludes me. I think I understand the concept though I usually employ a small garden trowel with minimal sound effects. Too much noise and those worms might misunderstand my intent before I catch them. Nice fish, boat and attitude by the way. And with you and Lorrie being part of the discussion, this thread really should be relabeled as "Single Living Aboard and Cruising" as the contributions are worthwhile from both points of view.

JPA Cate 19-11-2018 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by piloto (Post 2764509)
keep looking and remain open to finding love, companionship and mutual trust and, as to placing "trust" (nautically speaking) in the competence of sailing, be it man or woman, without ego tripping this should be sorting itself out anyway (if you were on the same page anyway). Some events occur that even the "captain" can't forsee or prevent, others are able to be sorted out with perseverance as a prime determining factor (hopefully accompanied by skill set necessary to effect desired outcome). Gamayun, I see the boat, the fish, but the worm grunting eludes me. I think I understand the concept though I usually employ a small garden trowel with minimal sound effects. Too much noise and those worms might misunderstand my intent before I catch them. Nice fish, boat and attitude by the way. And with you and Lorrie being part of the discussion, this thread really should be relabeled as "Single Living Aboard and Cruising" as the contributions are worthwhile from both points of view.

Well, piloto, you could make a new thread with your title, but the old one is too long to make sense to change the name at this point. One of the volunteers would have to go through the whole thing and change the title on all the posts and pages, and then, the first part, twohullvenus' wouldn't make sense....tedious clerical work for a limited gain.

Historically, there has been a group here, The Mermaids, just for women. Men outnumber the women on the forum.

However, a new thread would generate interest, so I'd like to encourage you to start one, it would be welcome. Since the singles are each others potential partner pool, having both genders recognized makes sense.

Ann

alansmith 19-11-2018 13:47

Ann Cate, does Jim know that every single guy on here wants to find a woman like you? Smile.

boatman61 19-11-2018 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Sunseeker (Post 2763511)
Wanted, a good women who can dig worms, catch and cook fish and has a boat longer than 32'. Please send a photo of your boat!

You can keep the worms and the fish..
Ladies 32ft is just fine and I can cook for two.. :biggrin:

Jim Cate 19-11-2018 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by alansmith (Post 2764881)
Ann Cate, does Jim know that every single guy on here wants to find a woman like you? Smile.

Be careful what you wish for, mates...

But yeah, one could do worse!

Jim

JPA Cate 19-11-2018 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by alansmith (Post 2764881)

Thank you for the kind words, sir!

I remember Jim saying, years and years ago, now, that just as I had given up training up bridge partners, only to have them move away, he was very glad to meet a woman who already had sailing experience. I was very junior crew, and he brought me along. I absorbed his ways of doing things. We were a couple for almost 10 yrs., before we married. Both of us, once burned, twice shy.

Ann

crooks 19-11-2018 14:29

I have two children. They are wonderful human beings: Successful, caring and kind.

I go to a class at church with women older than me. They are well read and have inquisitive minds plus most have a formal education. Good on em.

Living with a woman is something I've done almost my entire life. It is just a choice that served me well. I know my bank has seen the money come and go. Fortunately, there is enough to keep me fatter than I should be, dressed in the way I prefer and entering retirement without qualms.

gamayun 19-11-2018 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPA Cate (Post 2764914)
Thank you for the kind words, sir!

I remember Jim saying, years and years ago, now, that just as I had given up training up bridge partners, only to have them move away, he was very glad to meet a woman who already had sailing experience. I was very junior crew, and he brought me along. I absorbed his ways of doing things. We were a couple for almost 10 yrs., before we married. Both of us, once burned, twice shy.

Ann

Sweet :) You two certainly are inspirational for the rest of us with good attitudes and humor!

gamayun 19-11-2018 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by piloto (Post 2764509)
Gamayun, I see the boat, the fish, but the worm grunting eludes me. I think I understand the concept though I usually employ a small garden trowel with minimal sound effects. Too much noise and those worms might misunderstand my intent before I catch them.

I was trying to be humorous and suggesting that grunting is a little more refined than digging them up. It's also an interesting technique that works. Perhaps it tickles, or they think it's raining....or something else? I don't think anyone knows.

cyan 19-11-2018 18:35

1 Attachment(s)
Wait.
What??
Are you guys all asleep??
Did you read Gamayun's posts?
Holy guacamole, it just doesn't GET any better than this...
An accomplished and pretty lady-sailor who owns a sweet looking sailboat and casually catches sweet looking albacore... oh and she's SINGLE??!!
Whaddya waiting for, to see if she's a sports fan or something??
Not gonna talk to her unless she drinks your brand of beer??
Too good to be true?
:popcorn:

gamayun 19-11-2018 20:16

Aw shucks, Cyan, please don't make it too obvious. Women kinda like their men dense and helpless, ya know?