Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look. (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/single-men-living-aboard-and-cruising-an-honest-look-152569.html)

goat 07-02-2018 20:48

Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifemiles (Post 2572197)
see, here's the thing with those relationships.... your and her needs and wants tend to shift further and furher apart as you grow older....
think of what you want to do in your life now, at 42.... then think what that might be at 57 ? i guarantee you it changes.... now, think of what the woman might want at 47....

so now you are, 15 years down the road, in a relationship with a woman that wants genuinely different things than you do..... in addition that woman now is no nubile young hottie anymore either.... result: your next divorce / heartbreak / financial drain......

if you keep looking for the young hotties my gues is that catamaran never gets finished.... ;-)

The op hasn't been heard from in over two years, so the catamaran probably never did get finished.

Solid advice though, you know, for the rest of us womanizers.

I never understood the draw of a younger woman. Seems like a lot of work.

+/- 5 years seems to be most workable for me anyway.

goat

lifemiles 07-02-2018 20:51

yeah, kinda saw that after the fact.... it came up in the preview though so i didn't think to look.

agreed on the 5 year thing. outside that you're venturing into confused seas at best... ;-)

Olddan1943 07-02-2018 20:58

Quote:

see, here's the thing with those relationships.... your and her needs and wants tend to shift further and furher apart as you grow older....
think of what you want to do in your life now, at 42.... then think what that might be at 57 ? i guarantee you it changes.... now, think of what the woman might want at 47....

so now you are, 15 years down the road, in a relationship with a woman that wants genuinely different things than you do..... in addition that woman now is no nubile young hottie anymore either.... result: your next divorce / heartbreak / financial drain......

if you keep looking for the young hotties my gues is that catamaran never gets finished.... ;-)

In May I will be 75 so I'm not sure what I would/could do with a "young hottie." Come to think of it, I really don't know the definition of a 'young hottie' is at this stage in my life. CHUCKLE
I would hope to find one lady who is beautiful, in my eyes. One who loves boating as I do. One with whom I can grow to love as she grows to love me, accepts me with all my flaws as I will accept her's.
She better have a good sense of humor or all bets are off.

Applications and pencils are available on the table at the back of the room.

cyan 07-02-2018 21:23

Quote:

see, here's the thing with those relationships.... your and her needs and wants tend to shift further and furher apart as you grow older

Scratch that, reverse it.
You may not have done your math quite right.
The relative ages actually converge. A 60 year old and a 70 year old seem much closer in every way than a 30 year old and a 20 year old. It's all about the difference as a fraction of the total.
Have you ever heard of the half-plus-seven rule?
The needs converge.
The wants converge.

Three Sisters 07-02-2018 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPA Cate (Post 2572057)
My goodness, Three Sisters,

You could start a new button trend! Got a name for them? Might look slick on Navy blue blazers!

Back to boats, people, please.

Hi JPA Cate.
Pending permission,
that is our new "owner's private signal" flag. Gone Bowling

2 finger bowling has it's own technique(s) and we were procrastinating whether to add a "Cranker", "Stroker", or "Tweener" mark.

Thanks for asking. :smile:

Larry Florida 08-02-2018 05:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by goat (Post 2572216)

Solid advice though, you know, for the rest of us womanizers.

I never understood the draw of a younger woman. Seems like a lot of work.

+/- 5 years seems to be most workable for me anyway.

goat

Most of the men I encounter while traveling are with younger women, some much younger. Met an Aussiein Cebu age mid 50s with a wife about 20 years younger. Were cruising for most of their many years together. Seemed to be working out fine.

Younger wives or mistresses is popular scenario outside the western world.

Olddan1943 08-02-2018 06:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyan (Post 2572236)
Scratch that, reverse it.
You may not have done your math quite right.
The relative ages actually converge. A 60 year old and a 70 year old seem much closer in every way than a 30 year old and a 20 year old. It's all about the difference as a fraction of the total.
Have you ever heard of the half-plus-seven rule?
The needs converge.
The wants converge.

I hate to approach her parents and ask their permission. LOL

boatman61 08-02-2018 06:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olddan1943 (Post 2572223)
In May I will be 75 so I'm not sure what I would/could do with a "young hottie." Come to think of it, I really don't know the definition of a 'young hottie' is at this stage in my life. CHUCKLE
I would hope to find one lady who is beautiful, in my eyes. One who loves boating as I do. One with whom I can grow to love as she grows to love me, accepts me with all my flaws as I will accept her's.
She better have a good sense of humor or all bets are off.

Applications and pencils are available on the table at the back of the room.

I think you need to motor away from Florida and the US to find your lady.. the further you go.. the better your prospects will get.
Same sex but different perspectives.

Olddan1943 08-02-2018 07:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 2572414)
I think you need to motor away from Florida and the US to find your lady.. the further you go.. the better your prospects will get.
Same sex but different perspectives.

That is an option but then, there may be a problem with "English as a second language" or worse, no English at all. SIGH

boatman61 08-02-2018 07:15

I was thinking more French SXM, St Barts, Guadalupe, Martinique, Dominica.. no joy there try the W Caribe.. :wink:

Olddan1943 08-02-2018 07:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 2572441)
I was thinking more French SXM, St Barts, Guadalupe, Martinique, Dominica.. no joy there try the W Caribe.. :wink:

That's a long way to ship a boat.

Exile 08-02-2018 07:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olddan1943 (Post 2572437)
That is an option but then, there may be a problem with "English as a second language" or worse, no English at all. SIGH

In my case at least, "no English at all" could actually improve communications. :whistling:

boatman61 08-02-2018 07:26

I had no Portuguese in '08 when I first met my current crew.. she had no English.. I now speak reasonable enough Portuguese to move about solo without an interpreter and hold intelligible conversations with strangers and merchants.
She still has no English.
Where there's incentive.. there's a will.. :wink:

Pelagic 08-02-2018 16:47

I always cringe and feel a bit guilty when we generalise about what will work between two individuals, in a loving relationship.

Who are we to know what each person needs psychologically in that most private of times when our fears and hopes are shared?

Age, race, cultural, educational differences can also enhance relationships as it tends to make individuals more codependent on each other.

As time goes by, each individual will evolve and change.
Hopefully in a strong relationship, to support each other within thier historical and happy context of an unspoken and unconditional love.

You just can't generalise, but we are all guilty of it!

boatman61 08-02-2018 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olddan1943 (Post 2572443)
That's a long way to ship a boat.

Ahh.. just had a look at your spec's.. more an ICW boat than an island hopper.. though she has a capable range.