Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look. (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/single-men-living-aboard-and-cruising-an-honest-look-152569.html)

Exile 05-02-2018 09:01

Re: Single Men Living Aboard and Cruising... an honest look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alansmith (Post 2570431)

Exile, this isn't gender based. It is power based. For the assistant to refuse to pick up the coffee would be an affront to the boss. U pay your dues or u r out on your ear. So, yes, I can see ( doesn't mean I agree with it) how women or men can be "incapable" of refusing to do what people in power bid them to do. To do otherwise... in many situations would end their job. Let's be perfectly clear. I am not saying it is right. But there are hundreds of situations all of us could collectively remember... not sexually related.... where people in power exact a toll and it would be imprudent to refuse.

Understood. But when it comes to sexual advances there either has to be consent or coercion, and that is what defines illegality, not whether a woman in a subordinate position is "unwilling" but nevertheless consents for the purpose of career advancement. John61's post blurred this line imho, and Boaty pointed out that a woman would have little to complain about after-the-fact if the sex was unwanted but was otherwise consensual. If a woman knowingly opts to have sex for the sake of her career or other benefits, that is her choice.

And of course Weavis has now pointed out several times that our posts must be boat-related or the thread will be closed, so that's our choice as well. Perhaps this sorta thing goes on with female crew on the super yacht circuit, but that may be a stretch. I suppose there are more "Capt. Lingerie's" out there than I might be aware of as a guy, but I assume most women are fully capable of exercising their own free will and handling such situations.

john61ct 05-02-2018 10:15

(sometimes this stuff goes on on boats)

weavis 05-02-2018 10:29

I tried. It was your choice.

Pete7 05-02-2018 14:39

The thread has been opened again after a clean up, please behave and keep it clean.

Pete

JPA Cate 05-02-2018 15:27

For those of you who haven't looked at the rule, here it is:

Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are permitted only in association with the topic of this forum and will be closed or removed if they become disruptive.
The bold print is my edit.

Ann

Pelagic 05-02-2018 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exile (Post 2570460)

Perhaps this sorta thing goes on with female crew on the super yacht circuit, but that may be a stretch. I suppose there are more "Capt. Lingerie's" out there than I might be aware of as a guy, but I assume most women are fully capable of exercising their own free will and handling such situations.

From my experience in the industry for many years, that just does not happen on large SY's with 16 crew or more.

The crew are all multi-talented, with some kind of complimentary skill/license as they usually develop close personal and individual relationships with the Owner and his family.

Liaisons do happen (which is the bane of every Captain's crew management challenge), but more as a consentual result of loneliness, long hours and remote locations.

Captains who do play in-house, never reach top tier commands.

boatman61 05-02-2018 15:45

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by goat (Post 2570159)
Not a lot of guys are secure enough in their manhood to admit to watching Justin Beiber. Good on ya!

goat

Did not know that Bieber had done a cover version.. hope he has not ruined it.. :facepalm:

goat 05-02-2018 18:02

You tell me, never heard the song.
https://youtu.be/72UO0v5ESUo

boatman61 05-02-2018 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by goat (Post 2570892)
You tell me, never heard the song.
https://youtu.be/72UO0v5ESUo

If that's a link to Bieber.. no thanks.

Uncle Bob 05-02-2018 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by weavis (Post 2570516)
I tried. It was your choice.

And full marks for applied effort.
This has been a bit like sailing to windward, a tack to port for a while thence off to starboard, the occasional unintentional gybe but in all an interesting read. :thumb:

Melissa36 05-02-2018 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chichi (Post 2570314)
i've been super busy crew, swamped by work mostly.... have it on my list to get back to quite a few on here... but only have a moment

in keeping things boat-related, i really enjoyed Pelagic's account of his sweetheart squeezing in behind the engine, taking pictures of places he's never seen. who was it who found a girl who helped with the hull? i enjoyed this story too...

i'm not ready for a relationship, guys, so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not write me sweet private messages (thank you), but i want you guys to know that there are those girls who really and truly LOVE everything about sailboats. there are those who are good at squeezing in around greasy corners with tools and a clear view of what bolt to turn and why. there are those who know how to prep the butyl tape (temperature-wise) for the job at hand. there are those gals who whip out the notepad to write the needed piece in the right place, just to pull it out again once in the hardware store. there are those gals who love adventure and the sea and sailing.

Gamayun, who os clearly an adventurous sailor-chic told us how she was a wild thing when she was young. i was too. i was that kid who had to climb to the very top of every tree. i tied palm leaves to my arms and jumped from high places in an attempt to fly. i talked to animals, rode horses across frills and in forests. i charged toward spooky things my imagination had taken a hold of in the night.

That's impressive and inspiring. :D

weavis 06-02-2018 00:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 2570908)
If that's a link to Bieber.. no thanks.

Whats wrong with Bieber?

Oh wait...........thats a thread on its own.:biggrin::biggrin:

Pelagic 06-02-2018 01:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by weavis (Post 2571016)
Whats wrong with Bieber?

Oh wait...........thats a thread on its own.[emoji3][emoji3]

Actually I like the song.

Don't know the kid/guy, but since he has never been able to live a normal life trying to grow up, willing to cut him a lot of slack.
Hope he keeps making music

boatman61 06-02-2018 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pelagic (Post 2571026)
Actually I like the song.

Don't know the kid/guy, but since he has never been able to live a normal life trying to grow up, willing to cut him a lot of slack.
Hope he keeps making music

Try the real thing.. not some 'wanna be ethnic' honkey version.. :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY8iLUkZ5kI

Pelagic 06-02-2018 16:12

Thanks Boatie
I think that was the Granny Awards Video I was watching and referring to about the hypocracy of the Hollywood "me to" statements and them making billions out of the sexual objectification of the women dancers

It was not about Bieber or the song (which I like along with the dancers)

The Medium is the Message!