Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Construction, Maintenance & Refit (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Water leaks (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/water-leaks-152280.html)

Shadowfaxcrusin 31-08-2015 15:25

Water leaks

Hi all has any one ever found a way to find leaks in their boat which are not obvious I have been chasing leaks for 5 years and can't find it :banghead:
I replaced windows and caulked the �� out of it :confused: the leak just keeps coming back, every time it rains .

Greenhand 31-08-2015 15:36

re: Water leaks

You will probably want to post this in a more appropriate category, but the important thing is to identify where your leak shows up in the boat and what else is connected to that spot. For example, if the water is actually coming into the boat at the port/hatch frames, is there a penetration above that point where water could be penetrating the deck or cabin top and seeping through to the window frame? Can you explore between your cabin top and your headliner in order to see if there are any signs of penetration there?

Oh, and while proper spelling is usually a plus, in this case, leak vs. leek makes a HILARIOUS image of leeks mysteriously growing on your boat :)

boatman61 31-08-2015 15:39

Was tempted to post a recipe for Cheese and Leek crusted Cottage Pie..:wink:

Cheechako 31-08-2015 16:00

Port? fixed windows? headliner?

Uncle Bob 31-08-2015 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 1904335)
Was tempted to post a recipe for Cheese and Leek crusted Cottage Pie..:wink:

:biggrin: LOL.

You'r a braver man than I Gunga Din.

Cap Erict3 31-08-2015 16:17

Walk around on deck and seal all the maybes.

Wash deck.

Repeat.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.

Cheechako 31-08-2015 16:26

There is a product called Creeping Crack Cure or something like that. I think it's just latex of some sort. You apply it by putting it on from the outside and it creeps into the space. I’m not a big fan but it did work once on a Passport 47 I had in finding the source of a very troublesome leak overhead. Try it on an iffy spot and wait and see… once you find the place that cures the problem you can go for a real fix, although the CCC may work!

Ecos 31-08-2015 16:28

Don't mind the spelling Nazis. Although the Leek pie sounds like it might be good. Wait for a really big thunderstorm downpour. Testing with a hose just does not seem to cut it.

boatman61 31-08-2015 16:37

the trouble with leaks is.. the 'Drip' is usually 3 metres from the sauce...:wink:

Reefmagnet 31-08-2015 18:09

I've heard of a wacky idea using a vacuum cleaner or leaf blower to pressurise the cabin and then using the soapy water trick to find the "sauce" of the "leek"

How to find that leak!

Ecos 31-08-2015 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reefmagnet (Post 1904468)
I've heard of a wacky idea using a vacuum cleaner or leaf blower to pressurise the cabin and then using the soapy water trick to find the "sauce" of the "leek"

How to find that leak!

That is wacky. You can't pressurize the whole boat. They sell a gadget for testing leaks in pressurized hulls or anything for that mater. A small sender inside and a small receiver outside. It ultra sonic I think. The tone changes where the waves leak out

Shadowfaxcrusin 31-08-2015 18:51

Re: Water leaks

Sorry about the spelling :facepalm: will try anything

Reefmagnet 31-08-2015 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy (Post 1904488)
That is wacky. You can't pressurize the whole boat. They sell a gadget for testing leaks in pressurized hulls or anything for that mater. A small sender inside and a small receiver outside. It ultra sonic I think. The tone changes where the waves leak out

Lol the website references a dinghy, but I have read about those that have done it on keelers as well.

Seriously though, I can say from bitter experience that leaks can travel a long way from the actual source, so don't discount a potential entry point just because it's a long way from the actual dripping inside the boat!

Shadowfaxcrusin 31-08-2015 19:20

The big storm thing is how it all came about we just had 3 days of hard rain and that's when it shows up I just can't find the entry point it never happens when I wash the boat or use a hose to try and find it mabe I should just cover the boat in rubber . ⛵️⛵️⛵️

Cap Erict3 31-08-2015 20:28

Water leeks

From your posts so far I assume you have a new to you boat. You haven't detailed the amount of water coming in or where it is showing up.

You can perform many worthwhile jobs while chasing mystery leaks. I recommend at least 2 automatic bilge pumps and a loud high bilge alarm.

Cheap insurance in the long run.

I would rather have 2 pumps and no EPIRB than 1 pump and 1 help me box.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.