Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   General Sailing Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Growing veggies and herbs aboard... (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/growing-veggies-and-herbs-aboard-147696.html)

paccrest 10-06-2015 10:25

Growing veggies and herbs aboard...

My girlfriend and I are new live aboard cruisers in the Sea of Cortez and Mexican Riviera areas for now and would love to know of ideas on how to grow some basic veggies and herbs aboard. I know that the salty environment is an issue. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

MarkJ 10-06-2015 10:39

Re: Growing veggies and herbs aboard...

Basil is ok at anchor. At sea nothing is realy viable.

boatman61 10-06-2015 10:41

Depends on the Herbs..:whistling:

monte 10-06-2015 10:43

1 Attachment(s)
The sprouter works well. This is after 2 days, another 2 and ready to add to sangas, side dishes etc. really tasty and nutritious to boot!. They last in the fridge over a week.Attachment 103531

dannc 10-06-2015 11:18

This has been discussed on CF before so you might want to try a search. Seems like I found a book somewhere on the subject somewhere as well...

Seems like the most practical boat farming was sprouting as Monte mentioned.

Later,
Dan

Bulawayo 11-06-2015 07:14

My wife does the same......watercress, mung beans etc etc. Has anyone seen the 'four foot vegetable' farm? We saw one a couple of years ago on a French single handers boat but have never seen one since and we lost those particular details. He was growing some wonderful things.

Mike OReilly 11-06-2015 07:26

We do sprouts and herbs (basil, cilantro, thyme, etc.) while underway, but we're not in salt water (yet). The sprouts are easy and down below. The herbs are in small pots that can be positioned under our translucent hatches when we're underway. At anchor they come out into the sun.

I don't know anyone who has sustained a veggie garden on board.

wrwakefield 11-06-2015 07:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by paccrest (Post 1845185)
My girlfriend and I are new live aboard cruisers in the Sea of Cortez and Mexican Riviera areas for now and would love to know of ideas on how to grow some basic veggies and herbs aboard. I know that the salty environment is an issue. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Paccrest,

For decades I have always grown sprouts for fresh 'greens' while cruising. [We even use sprouting jars while on multi-month long sea kayak expeditions... and no, we aren't vegetarians...]

Why sprouts? They don't require any light and are ready in 3-5 days. I have a very old stacking sprouting system [similar in concept to the Victorio Sprouting Kit found on this page...] I'm sure there are many like this out there.

Over the years I developed a taste for sproutable hull-less sunflower seeds [NOT seeds with hulls... inedible because the hulls become part of the tangled root mass...] They are delicious and delicate- like butter lettuce.

For variety and spice, I would sprout radish, mustard, alfalfa, etc. in other trays at the same time. [I learned to put the stronger flavored seeds in the lower trays so their water doesn't taint the seeds below in a stacking system...]

I never had the patience for herbs since I could store them dry and use less that way. [And yes- I love to cook and have- what I'm often reminded are- too many herbs and spices onboard...]

I hope this is helpful.

redhead 11-06-2015 07:54

1 Attachment(s)
Here's some parsley just loving the sun, not minding the salt air. Goes below when underway.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

skipmac 11-06-2015 09:47

Like most above, sprouts are the easiest, most bang for the buck things to grow on a boat.

I have seen posts from cruisers that claimed success growing a few other veggies but all I can think of will take a lot of space for not a huge volume of output.

Another concern, if you plan travel between countries the dirt in the growing pots will probably be a big problem as it can harbor all sorts of critters that could attack the local food crops. Some countries make you toss any fresh food, even if it isn't in dirt. In those places a pot full of dirt might cause major heart failure. You might even be executed, prosecuted but at least persecuted. :biggrin:

zengirl 11-06-2015 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by monte (Post 1845202)
The sprouter works well. This is after 2 days, another 2 and ready to add to sangas, side dishes etc. really tasty and nutritious to boot!. They last in the fridge over a week.Attachment 103531

You can grow all kinds of sprouts. Alfalfa, broccoli, mung beans, chick peas, all kinds of beans. In pots... basil, parsley, chives, any herb. Depending on what kind of room you have hanging tomatoes, string beans etc. Grow strawberries in an old clean gutter! Potatoes, onions, garlic in straw beds. Google all that and hydroponic growing. I'm removing the head and installing an Airhead or C-Head. I will remove tank and see what I can do with that space. Maybe straw, I don't know, but next year I'm going to seriously get into this. Good luck. :popcorn:

GafferMate 11-06-2015 17:17

Years ago there was a book called "SAILING THE FARM". The first edition was wonderfully political as well as offering good information about self-sustainability aboard...the second edition was slicker, less radical (to attract a broader spectrum of readers, most likely) but still interesting. Lists of miniature vegetables to grow in hanging baskets, such as Tom Thumb tomatoes. It might still be available somewhere...

StuM 11-06-2015 18:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by GafferMate (Post 1846195)
Years ago there was a book called "SAILING THE FARM". The first edition was wonderfully political as well as offering good information about self-sustainability aboard...the second edition was slicker, less radical (to attract a broader spectrum of readers, most likely) but still interesting. Lists of miniature vegetables to grow in hanging baskets, such as Tom Thumb tomatoes. It might still be available somewhere...

PDF available here: https://cruisenews.net/sailfarm.pdf

StuM 11-06-2015 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike OReilly (Post 1845811)
I don't know anyone who has sustained a veggie garden on board.

Boat Alexandra?

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1205164

nic26 11-06-2015 18:16

the book is out on the Internet for free (legal??).

Search for a blog that writes about hanging tomatoes foot up for boats as gardens