Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Marine Electronics (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/)
-   -   Is there an email that I can write to and post on CF? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/is-there-an-email-that-i-can-write-to-and-post-on-cf-147490.html)

s/v Beth 06-06-2015 07:43

Is there an email that I can write to and post on CF?
 
I just got an inReach. I can post email and texts to specific people, and even post on Facebook. Is there an email that I can sent to (or even a text message to a phone number) that would post to CF? It would be nice to keep you up on my adventures!

socaldmax 06-06-2015 08:49

Re: Is there an email that I can write to and post on CF?
 
Here's one solution. Put a link to your Facebook page in your sig, with an enticing sentence. You already have 3,775 posts, so that's potentially 3,775 ads with links to your FB page.

Then simply update your FB page with your latest adventures, and everyone who is following them can go to one source for the latest info. Why waste your valuable bandwidth with double posting on FB and CF?

s/v Beth 06-06-2015 11:19

Re: Is there an email that I can write to and post on CF?
 
That's not such a bad idea socal. Delorme makes a page that you can follow me on maps, just like spot, only you can interact also.
When I get done teething, I just might do that.

zeehag 06-06-2015 11:28

Re: Is there an email that I can write to and post on CF?
 
post i there in cf. that gives us entertainment as we watch and track furycames here in epac basin....

monte 06-06-2015 11:36

Re: Is there an email that I can write to and post on CF?
 
I like the idea of being able to post to CF and also keep track of the threads. I don't think it's technically possible at the moment though. An example might be, mid ocean, autopilot breaks and you need help troubleshooting. CF is a wealth of information and probably one of the best ways to get help in that situation. Add my email if you like and if the need arises I could post and report back any relevant info.
:cheers:

hellosailor 06-06-2015 12:30

Re: Is there an email that I can write to and post on CF?
 
There are scripting tools and automation tools for Windows, and presumably for that fruit-OS if you're using that, one is called "PUSH THE FREAKING BUTTON". They are designed so that when a pop-up window comes up on your screen, they will locate and "push" whatever button you want on it.


So there's probably a way to leave your email client running, and automate the process on your shorebound computer, so that it takes an incoming message (simplest if you open a dedicated email account for that purpose only), copies it, opens a browser window and then posts it to the forum, or wherever.


That's pretty much basic scripting or batch programming, and while I don't use much of that stuff, there's a lot of it out there. And not too steep a learning curve.


Any obsolete slow cramped small old computer should be sufficient to run that kind of job, even with the monitor also turned off to save more power.

Juho 07-06-2015 12:37

Re: Is there an email that I can write to and post on CF?
 
I would send an email to my friend. He would then write on this forum: "my friend Juho is currently in the middle of an ocean with poor Internet coverage but he asked me to forward this question to you...". He would also relay key content of the answers back to me using email.

socaldmax 07-06-2015 13:03

Re: Is there an email that I can write to and post on CF?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor (Post 1842126)
There are scripting tools and automation tools for Windows, and presumably for that fruit-OS if you're using that, one is called "PUSH THE FREAKING BUTTON". They are designed so that when a pop-up window comes up on your screen, they will locate and "push" whatever button you want on it.


So there's probably a way to leave your email client running, and automate the process on your shorebound computer, so that it takes an incoming message (simplest if you open a dedicated email account for that purpose only), copies it, opens a browser window and then posts it to the forum, or wherever.


That's pretty much basic scripting or batch programming, and while I don't use much of that stuff, there's a lot of it out there. And not too steep a learning curve.


Any obsolete slow cramped small old computer should be sufficient to run that kind of job, even with the monitor also turned off to save more power.

That would be awesome...

then we'd get 5 posts a day advertising "Viagra - only $5 ea." or 10 new posts a day for male enhancement pills. Never underestimate the quantity and persistence of spam.

:biggrin:

socaldmax 07-06-2015 13:06

Re: Is there an email that I can write to and post on CF?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juho (Post 1842867)
I would send an email to my friend. He would then write on this forum: "my friend Juho is currently in the middle of an ocean with poor Internet coverage but he asked me to forward this question to you...". He would also relay key content of the answers back to me using email.

That sounds like a workable solution. It's good to have friends like that!

transmitterdan 07-06-2015 13:11

Re: Is there an email that I can write to and post on CF?
 
Believe it or not some people are not on Facebook...

socaldmax 07-06-2015 18:59

Re: Is there an email that I can write to and post on CF?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by transmitterdan (Post 1842885)
Believe it or not some people are not on Facebook...

I don't believe you have to be on Facebook to read their posts if they choose to make them public.

Just a basic knowledge of how to work a web browser.

I'm not a fan of Facebook, not into broadcasting any personal info. However, I know a lot of people and Facebook reminds me of all of their birthdays, so it's an easy way to keep up with birthdays, if nothing else.

Labezin 07-06-2015 22:00

Re: Is there an email that I can write to and post on CF?
 
Try IFTTT !! (Google IFTTT)
I use it a lot and worked pretty well so far
You can really automate almost everything related to e-mail, FB, etc

skipgundlach 08-06-2015 08:28

Re: Is there an email that I can write to and post on CF?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by socaldmax (Post 1843083)
I don't believe you have to be on Facebook to read their posts if they choose to make them public.

Just a basic knowledge of how to work a web browser.

I'm not a fan of Facebook, not into broadcasting any personal info. However, I know a lot of people and Facebook reminds me of all of their birthdays, so it's an easy way to keep up with birthdays, if nothing else.

I'm not a fan of anything web based, as it's horribly data intensive.

CIP is my Bahamas hotspot phone.

Doing nothing other than reading the comics and news in the morning with my coffee, and occasionally clicking a link like this thread in CF and a glance at a couple of FB groups sailing-related, I burned through nearly 9GB in the first month.

That's because I could. A satphone or winlink/sailmail would be the only possibility at sea, and that's clearly unsupportable.

My son does the message-relay-over-winlink for me. Actual participation in the web-based stuff is a non-starter.

Of course, this forum may well have the newest answer to prove me wrong. If it doesn't involve notable ongoing or initial expense, I'd love to hear about it.

L8R

Skip, just done with another GS crossing, the wrong way, dammit.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:07.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.