Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Anchoring & Mooring (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f118/)
-   -   Raising Anchor Using Windlass in Surge/Waves (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f118/raising-anchor-using-windlass-in-surge-waves-145383.html)

zboss 29-04-2015 10:19

Raising Anchor Using Windlass in Surge/Waves

Folks,

Any recommendations on how to properly raise an anchor when you are facing strong surging waves? We have had several incidents where the waves were strong enough to get our bow hobby-horsing (bow in the water, bow out of the water.. rinse and repeat) and when we bring up the anchor to get out of that mess it puts an awful lot of energy into the chain windlass when it snatches up. We try to motor into the wind but that takes real coordination between the anchorman and the helmsman and if the timing is not quite right, too much anchor chain gets pulled in.

I don't wan't to be in these situations in the first place but we did not have another option at the time.

Any methods, techniques or tools I could implement when faced with this again?

- z

TacomaSailor 29-04-2015 10:41

Re: Raising Anchor Using Windlass in Surge/Waves

Indeed, the situation you describe is scary and difficult. We encountered big surging waves suddenly coming into an anchorage at least four times while cruising. An anchorage where that happened to us was the location, a year later, of a 40' boat being rolled by the waves, because the poor single hander could not get his anchor up in time.

Our strategy was to motor a bit past the point where there is no load on the anchor chain or line. The person on the bow then uses the windlass to retrieve as much chain as possible while there is no load on the chain. Our Maxwell VWC 1200 pulls chain at about 1-foot per second when there is no load on the chain.

We can usually pull about 15' of chain before it loads up again as the wind/waves push the boat backwards. The BIG problem is how to prevent the big snatch or shock load on the chain/windlass when all the slack is taken up. And, we've found no good answer to that question.

A good helmsman can keep the boat slowly moving forward so there is little load on the chain but that is tough to do in the wind and waves than occur during these experiences. Earpiece radios allow better coordination between the person on the bow who is running the windlass and can see the chain and the helmsman who is trying to keep the bow into the wind and the engine speed to a level that unloads the chain but does not overrun the anchor.

I wish I could say "do not get into these situations" BUT every time it happened to us - the wind and waves were a complete surprise with no warning.

Cheechako 29-04-2015 10:44

What he said, it is hard to not snub the chain/windlass at times.

svHyLyte 29-04-2015 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by zboss (Post 1813195)
Folks,

Any recommendations on how to properly raise an anchor when you are facing strong surging waves? We have had several incidents where the waves were strong enough to get our bow hobby-horsing (bow in the water, bow out of the water.. rinse and repeat) and when we bring up the anchor to get out of that mess it puts an awful lot of energy into the chain windlass when it snatches up. We try to motor into the wind but that takes real coordination between the anchorman and the helmsman and if the timing is not quite right, too much anchor chain gets pulled in.

I don't wan't to be in these situations in the first place but we did not have another option at the time.

Any methods, techniques or tools I could implement when faced with this again?

- z

Your chain should be lead through a chain stopper so that your Windlass never takes more load than the weight of the deployed bottom tackle when you are hoisting or deploying your gear. To hoist in big waves, idle the yacht forward and take up slack as the bow descends. Discontinue the hoist as the bow begins to rise, letting the chain stopper snub and take the load of the chain. This process will pull you closer to the anchor with no undue strain on the Windlass until the anchor breaks out at which point you finish the hoist and head on your way.

The following Stoppers are available at West Marine and through other vendors:

https://newcontent.westmarine.com/con...ll/9397258.jpg

TacomaSailor 29-04-2015 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by svHyLyte (Post 1813414)
Your chain should be lead through a chain stopper so that your Windlass never takes more load than the weight of the deployed bottom tackle when you are hoisting or deploying your gear. To hoist in big waves, idle the yacht forward and take up slack as the bow descends. Discontinue the hoist as the bow begins to rise, letting the chain stopper snub and take the load of the chain. This process will pull you closer to the anchor with no undue strain on the Windlass until the anchor breaks out at which point you finish the hoist and head on your way.

Well 'sorta.

We have the standard chain stopper shown in the image. And it works as described above, most of the time. But, in the bouncy waves and gusty winds the chain has a tendency to jump about and force the lever on the chain stopper open while the chain is being retrieved. When that happens, the chain stopper is worthless for keeping the load off the windlass.

And, the bow person needs to put their hand down there to pop the chain stopper lever back into place... a dicey proposition on a 12 ton pop bouncy up and down three to five feet in the waves.

The chain stopper is a big improvement and really does help but it is still a struggle at times.

Wanderlust 29-04-2015 22:26

A good subject for discussion.

Perhaps a technique would be to use the wave action combined with shortening scope to pop the anchor out. You want the scope to be short enough for the jerks to to pop the anchor out, but not pound the boat/windlass too hard. The problem with a chain stopper is the sudden jolts could break something.

To reduce impacts, you could pull the chain in as much as you dare and attach a long nylon snubber leading to your mainsheet winch. Better, if you can get the bow positioned over the anchor (need a good helper), quickly pull up as much loose chain as you can by hand and attach the snubber. Then drop it and let the snubber take the load.

WARNING. Don't lay the retrieved chain on the deck as it may be ripped away very quickly ... just let it fall back in the water as you are doing it.

You can then reduce scope as needed by winching in between waves, while allowing the snubber to absorb the sudden impacts. Let the wave action do the job for you.

As long as the anchor is not obstructed, this should work.

An alternative would be to attach one end of a line to a bow cleat and pass the other end through a chain link, then back to a winch. This can be a faster attachment with the advantage that you will be sharing the impacts on 2 fittings. Expect some chafe at the chain link if it's there for long.

Foozinator 30-04-2015 08:48

Would this be a good time to use an independent anchor retrieval method, like any of those products that lift the anchor clear using a separate chain? Once the anchor is out, I would think the strain would decrease significantly.

RichandHelen 30-04-2015 09:05

Variation on theme... We use a marker float over our anchor - a method we learned from our trawler friends. We deploy it both to help motor to the anchor when departing and to use as a trip line if needed. We use 1/4 nylon line on a 45 lb. CQR and a cheap pool lane marker float. In strong surge you can motor directly over your anchor, take up the slack, and if you have surge it should pop the anchor without terrible strain on your windlass.

RichandHelen 30-04-2015 09:24

Two MORE thoughts:

1) If it's that bad - stay. Let your snubber do the work it is intended to do.
2) This might be one of those times when, particularly if you're local, you may want to put that marker float on your rode and leave the anchor and rode behind to retrieve when it's safer.

Goosebumps 30-04-2015 09:32

You know when you are anchoring in an environment with capacity for wave, current action! In that environment good to fit nylon line to chain, close to anchor so that is 2 meters less than depth, with anchor hook or rolling hitch pass over spare bowroller and to windlass rope drum, or to mainmast halyard winch. The elasticity of the nylon libe, once winched in, will allow you to absorb the shocks produced by the hobbyhorsing boat. To my experience the elastic action of the nylon line will work out the anchor wgen motoring just past anchor. This will always work in anchored in sand, but wont work if anchor fouled by rocks, coral or debris. So it is very important to anchor only in sand in such wave prone environments.

zboss 30-04-2015 09:41

We have a very good nylon snubber (two 5/8" 30 foot legs with galvanized eyes connected to a mantus chain hook using high test crosby chain shackles) that we normally use to run two stout cleats.

However, I had not thought about using an anchor marker float with a long nylon snubber. Thats a great idea if you expect surge.

contrail 30-04-2015 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by TacomaSailor (Post 1813531)
Well 'sorta.

We have the standard chain stopper shown in the image. And it works as described above, most of the time. But, in the bouncy waves and gusty winds the chain has a tendency to jump about and force the lever on the chain stopper open while the chain is being retrieved. When that happens, the chain stopper is worthless for keeping the load off the windlass.

And, the bow person needs to put their hand down there to pop the chain stopper lever back into place... a dicey proposition on a 12 ton pop bouncy up and down three to five feet in the waves.

The chain stopper is a big improvement and really does help but it is still a struggle at times.

I think the answer is in the stopper, and how it is installed. Tacoma, you may remember me from Mexico as Casual Water, and I went through Marty, as you famously did. Anyway, on that boat I used to lift my rode, which was 250 feet of 1/4 inch HT chain, by hand. This I found very easy, and have always been puzzled that more people on small boats don't do it the way I did, which was to sit over my opened anchor locker, with gloves on, and just rock back and forth like I was rowing. The chain would then simply drop into the locker between my legs. I could pull in two feet per second but what made this work, in very rough conditions, was my installation. I had taken one of the pictured stoppers and removing the actual "blade", for lack of a better term, and installing it in my bow roller, at the roller, drilling holes in each side for the shaft to slip through. The angle of the chain up to the roller is such that it won't flip the blade over into the "up" position. I was not uncomfortable with anchoring in 60 feet of water, either, and never had to worry about windlasses or anything. It was a reasonably good workout, too, and sometimes I just pulled the anchor chain in and then let it out for that very purpose. If the wind blew hard, I put the engine in gear running very slowly, and used the handheld autopilot from the bow. I have yet to see a more trouble free and effective system for a small boat and I was able to anchor on all chain. I actually had two further lengths of chain that I could attach to the main one for really deep anchorages.

Currently, on my Leopard 45 cat, it's more complicated, because I use an electric windlass. But it, too, has a very strong stopper where the chain comes from the roller to the windlass, which also can't get flipped over by the chain. I pull in the slack on the chain, and then when I feel the surge or gust coming, I quickly let out a few inches, with the windlass, which re-sets the stopper in place. When the surge or gust abates, or we have motored a bit further forward, I raise more chain, and so forth. Works like a charm. I agree that getting fingers in the works is a bad idea, but think that the installation can avoid that being necessary. That, and letting out a few inches of chain, which pretty much keeps the fingers out of the equation!

SVJennie 30-04-2015 10:15

Using a Maxwell 1200 HWC and a handheld up/down control (I'm already tap dancing trying to stay at the bow, never-mind trying to step on the correct button) to lift a 45# CQR into place on a bowsprit , after releasing the 30' snubber from the chain (the hard part in rolly anchorages), I find that if for whatever reason the boat no longer lines up with the lay of the anchor chain, or the surge is too much, I let out whatever chain is necessary and start over again.
However, even then, not everything goes as planned - sometimes the bow is blown sideways allowing the chain to push against the bobstay. At this point or even before, unless you are really good at hand signals, I believe that radio communication between the person pulling up the anchor and the person at the helm would be a great help in quickly resolving the "problem."

albatrosbis 30-04-2015 10:20

The RichandHelen solution is the correct one since the old centuries. If you are not local you will manage with your GPS MOB and will change your sailing programs accordingly. Safety first.

Pelagic 30-04-2015 10:56

I think this is only a concern if your boat"s installed mooring and anchor handling fixtures are not designed to take the surge loads you describe.

If caught in an uncomfortable anchorage with rising swell and wind I would usually shorten up until I felt the anchor / chain start to chatter indicating drag then simply watch the wave sets as I haul to the up and down position and trust my well maintained windlass.

If sea room permits ...once off the bottom, I like to slowly reverse away from the wind in a natural turn where the stern quarter finds the wind and you can hold and secure/clean in that downwind position where the boat is making a nice Lee for those working on the Bow.

TacomaSailor 30-04-2015 11:15

The situation many of you describe is far different than the situation I am thinking about.

In my case the boat is violently pitching up and down and the wind is gusting from 15 to 30 knots. It is almost impossible to stand on the bow. The boat is shearing side to side 45 degrees.

It is almost impossible to control the slack in the chain.

There is no possibility of staying in place due to the violence of the waves.

Isla Ventana in Bahia de Los Angles on the central east coast of the Baja Peninsula. The wind went from dead calm to 55 knots onshore in 20-minutes. The air temp went from 88 degrees to 105 degrees during the same time. The waves had a 4 mile fetch and within 10-minutes the chop was 3' high at 3 seconds. The steady wind was 15 knots and the gusts were over 50 knots with the wind moving 40 degrees side to side depending on which canyon it came down.

Are those the conditions we are talking about?

mikereed100 30-04-2015 11:46

Tough situation. Having a cat with the chain running over the forward crossbeam I think I would try to play with the tension on the gypsy clutch so that I could pull the chain with the windlass when slack, but that the chain could run out if under too much strain coming out of the trough.

adlib2 30-04-2015 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by TacomaSailor (Post 1813218)
Indeed, the situation you describe is scary and difficult. We encountered big surging waves suddenly coming into an anchorage at least four times while cruising. An anchorage where that happened to us was the location, a year later, of a 40' boat being rolled by the waves, because the poor single hander could not get his anchor up in time.

Our strategy was to motor a bit past the point where there is no load on the anchor chain or line. The person on the bow then uses the windlass to retrieve as much chain as possible while there is no load on the chain. Our Maxwell VWC 1200 pulls chain at about 1-foot per second when there is no load on the chain.

We can usually pull about 15' of chain before it loads up again as the wind/waves push the boat backwards. The BIG problem is how to prevent the big snatch or shock load on the chain/windlass when all the slack is taken up. And, we've found no good answer to that question.

A good helmsman can keep the boat slowly moving forward so there is little load on the chain but that is tough to do in the wind and waves than occur during these experiences. Earpiece radios allow better coordination between the person on the bow who is running the windlass and can see the chain and the helmsman who is trying to keep the bow into the wind and the engine speed to a level that unloads the chain but does not overrun the anchor.

I wish I could say "do not get into these situations" BUT every time it happened to us - the wind and waves were a complete surprise with no warning.

CURRENT WISDOM IS THAT INSTEAD OF MOTORING FORWARD YOU MOTOR IN REVERSE TO BREAK OUT THE ANCHOR. GOOGLE FOR A FULL DISCUSSION.
I USE A 1 INCH CORD SNUB LINE HOOKED TO THE CHAIN WHICH I DISENGAGE WHEN ANCHOR BREAKS FREE. I USUALLY SAIL SINGLE HANDED.

RichandHelen 30-04-2015 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by TacomaSailor (Post 1814127)
The situation many of you describe is far different than the situation I am thinking about.

In my case the boat is violently pitching up and down and the wind is gusting from 15 to 30 knots. It is almost impossible to stand on the bow. The boat is shearing side to side 45 degrees.

Isla Ventana in Bahia de Los Angles on the central east coast of the Baja Peninsula. The wind went from dead calm to 55 knots onshore in 20-minutes. The air temp went from 88 degrees to 105 degrees during the same time. The waves had a 4 mile fetch and within 10-minutes the chop was 3' high at 3 seconds. The steady wind was 15 knots and the gusts were over 50 knots with the wind moving 40 degrees side to side depending on which canyon it came down.

You really want to haul anchor in those conditions? Start the engine. Try to take some strain off the rode while basically standing still. Ride it out unless you are dragging. Hopefully you had your (long) snubber already in place...

TacomaSailor 30-04-2015 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by adlib2 (Post 1814164)
CURRENT WISDOM IS THAT INSTEAD OF MOTORING FORWARD YOU MOTOR IN REVERSE TO BREAK OUT THE ANCHOR. GOOGLE FOR A FULL DISCUSSION.

Then what?

You are 100 yards off a lee shore in 35' of water with 200' of loose chain thrashing about and the anchor not holding any longer. The bow is shearing side to side and you cannot see where the chain leads because of the spray, and the bow bouncing around.

I don't understand what you gain by breaking the anchor loose?

And, there is no way I can break loose my 66# Spade by backing on it when it has been sitting and digging in for a week. I SET the anchor by backing down at 3200 RPM for 30 seconds so how do I break it out by doing the same thing?

After a week the shank of the anchor is under the sand and the only way I can break it out is to drive past it with 1.5:1 scope and tip it over with the weight of the boat.

TacomaSailor 30-04-2015 12:23

Quote:

CURRENT WISDOM IS THAT INSTEAD OF MOTORING FORWARD YOU MOTOR IN REVERSE TO BREAK OUT THE ANCHOR.

Sorry to be harsh but that sounds like an idea put forth by someone who has never cruised in remote and windy locales. The idea of motoring backward to free an anchor offends my sense of safety and experience of over 1500 nights at anchor.

Our Caliber 40 (12 tons) with a Yanmar 4JH2E spinning an 18" Maxprop can put about 45 horsepower into the water at max RPM in reverse. My engineering calculations put that thrust at about the equivalent of 35 - 40 knots wind on OUR boat with our sails and other windage.

We spend many, many nights anchored in 45 - 50 knot winds and would have been in serious trouble if we could pull the anchor by reversing on it with the engine.

I set the prop by using 3200 RPM in reverse for 30 seconds so why would that same power be able to pull the anchor out?

Maybe someone can tell me where I am wrong about the idea.

deblen 30-04-2015 12:24

I thot you always motored up past your anchor,turned, & winched as the boat was controlled by helmsman back towards anchor.
Don't think electric winches are designed to tow tons of boat into head seas & wind-it's only to lift the rode & anchor straight up.

/Len

captmikem 30-04-2015 14:08

Most small boats have cone clutches instead of band brakes, which is good, you simply tighten the clutch tight enough to haul but not too tight so that it will slip a bit when a heavy load comes on the chain. This radically reduces the load on all the gear. Play with your winch a little to find out how much is enough; you can always tighten it a little more, (also, keep your cones greased well). I have a Maxwell 2500 and it does this well.

If you are in deep water, once the anchor breaks free you may need to tighten it a bit more to lift everything, but when it is surging, ALWAYS good to have a wee bit of slip on the clutch.

You will find this is easy once you play with it a bit. Takes a bit longer but is much easier on the gear, and the nerves.

Michael

Pelagic 30-04-2015 16:54

Quote:

I USE A 1 INCH CORD SNUB LINE HOOKED TO THE CHAIN WHICH I DISENGAGE WHEN ANCHOR BREAKS FREE. I USUALLY SAIL SINGLE HANDED.

Never heard of that before....as the physics are all working against you and in a Lee shore you are usually dragging into shallower water.

In the lively conditions described.... safety is paramount!.... so if you have to leave then KISS means slow and easy trusting that the ground tackle will break free when the bow roller pinches in the up and down position AND ONLY THEN very slowly reversing into deeper water as the stern naturally wants to find the wind.... helps to clean off the chain and keep the anchor away from the hull in rough conditions of retrieval.

Goosebumps 01-05-2015 06:56

Must be quite an engine that can break anchor loose reversing! All situations are different and require different approach best is to actually go out there, leave the marina safety more, and gain experience before you really go live on the hook.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Matt Johnson 01-05-2015 07:31

We've found tacking to the anchor much easier than motoring straight towards it. In fact, with a little main sail up and traveler centered, the boat will self tack and you can just pull chain on each tack. This does require a robust chain stopper and windlass install.

Matt

Roy M 01-05-2015 07:49

This discussion sounds like it could use another option. If things are so hairy that the safety of the crew and vessel are at stake, why not just motor forward to take the load off the chain, AND JUST CHUCK THE CHAIN OVER THE SIDE AND COME BACK FOR IT LATER? It's not like a cruising boat has only one rode and anchor (right???). And if your bitter end is buoyed (or polypropylene tailed), coming back later when things are calmer is a heckuva lot smarter than losing toes or fiberglass. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

Tayana42 01-05-2015 08:06

Raising Anchor Using Windlass in Surge/Waves

Quote:

Originally Posted by TacomaSailor (Post 1814127)

This comment is intended for the OP since TacomaSailor is well experienced and already knows this.

In my experience the boat is always safer in deep water. So the first concern is how to safely get away from the beach, the shallows and the breaking swell. In that situation I would buoy the rode, drop it in the drink and get out of dodge. I know dropping the chain isn't as easy as it sounds. I've only had to do it once. But every boat anchoring system should be set up with that eventuality in mind as a matter of ultimate safety. If you are away safely you can come back for your anchor and chain after the seas go down.

S/V B'Shert

Goosebumps 01-05-2015 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tayana42 (Post 1814791)
This comment is intended for the OP since TacomaSailor is well experienced and already knows this.

In my experience the boat is always safer in deep water. So the first concern is how to safely get away from the beach, the shallows and the breaking swell. In that situation I would buoy the rode, drop it in the drink and get out of dodge. I know dropping the chain isn't as easy as it sounds. I've only had to do it once. But every boat anchoring system should be set up with that eventuality in mind as a matter of ultimate safety. If you are away safely you can come back for your anchor and chain after the seas go down.

S/V B'Shert

Wise words, however there are many different anchoring scenarios possible that need quick decisions and I agree one of the better impulsive approaches would be to ditch anchor and chain with buoy. My input for that do you realize that lots of chain goes down, that you might have to hang around long time waiting for weather to clear, waves to diminish. I recover all ground tackle most of the time. I live 7 years on the hook and have only ditched twice my groundtackle! I somehow manage to not ditch.

zboss 01-05-2015 09:17

Quote:

S/V B'Shert

Yea, thats $2500 including the anchor. Better get my knot right!:popcorn:

The Way 01-05-2015 17:40

Quote:

S/V B'Shert

An old trick I use: I tie the bitter end of the chain down below using 30 feet of polypropylene rope. When the chain runs out, you can cut the poly rope (on deck) and it will float so you can find the chain later. Saves having to bend on a float in bad conditions.

Fair winds,
Jack

Goosebumps 02-05-2015 07:44

The thread is very useful to educate us on the seamanship of our fellow CF members and different possible solutions for tricky situations. It is clear that most of us have learned to cope by ourselves in most situations, Sailing schools can only teach so much. I would again suggest novice cruisers to try go cruise with cruising liveaboards who actually go and live on the hook.