Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Monohull Sailboats (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Interesting 'bluewater' test !! RTW (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/interesting-bluewater-test-rtw-144968.html)

steamgoat 22-04-2015 11:53

Interesting 'bluewater' test !! RTW

2018 Golden Globe: solo non-stop, around the world yacht race announcement >> Scuttlebutt Sailing News
Starting 50 years to the day after the original,no electronics allowed !

carstenb 22-04-2015 12:00

Re: Interesting 'bluewater' test !! RTW

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamgoat (Post 1807331)
2018 Golden Globe: solo non-stop, around the world yacht race announcement >> Scuttlebutt Sailing News
Starting 50 years to the day after the original,no electronics allowed !

Boatie

this has gotta be something for you!:biggrin:

Hell you almost retire on 75,000 pounds

Hud3 22-04-2015 12:04

Quote:

The aims and objectives of this Golden Globe Race are: To create a unique “RETRO” non-stop solo around the world yacht race, in the image of the original Sunday Times “Golden Globe” that draws sailors back to the age of “one sailor, one boat” facing the great oceans of the world.
Now, this should really be interesting! I wonder how they'll keep track of the participants. Maybe they won't, since "no satellite-based navigation devices are allowed", and we'll all just wait and see who shows up at the finish.

boatman61 22-04-2015 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by carstenb (Post 1807339)
Boatie

this has gotta be something for you!:biggrin:

Hell you almost retire on 75,000 pounds

It'd be a great way to live my 70th year for sure.. but the full keel rule counts me out.. also this boats to long at 11.10metres..:frown:
Ahh well.. probably for the best.. I hate the cold..:biggrin:

carstenb 22-04-2015 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 1807357)
It'd be a great way to live my 70th year for sure.. but the full keel rule counts me out.. also this boats to long at 11.10metres..:frown:
Ahh well.. probably for the best.. I hate the cold..:biggrin:

boatie

I'm disapoointed. you're turning down a smart little RTW. oh where have my idols gone:whistling:

Polux 22-04-2015 12:31

"Entrants are restricted to using the same type of yachts and equipment that were available to Sir Robin in that first race."

That is just ridiculous, call it a rally... but a race?

Greenhand 22-04-2015 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hud3 (Post 1807344)
Now, this should really be interesting! I wonder how they'll keep track of the participants. Maybe they won't, since "no satellite-based navigation devices are allowed", and we'll all just wait and see who shows up at the finish.

You can transmit without having access to the data yourself, as happens with an EPIRB. Is AIS considered satellite based?

boatman61 22-04-2015 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by carstenb (Post 1807364)
boatie

I'm disapoointed. you're turning down a smart little RTW. oh where have my idols gone:whistling:

If CF can sponser/raise a Cheoy Lee 36 for me to enter I'll be your Hero..:thumb:
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

https://sailboatdata.com/imagehelper.asp?file_id=5536

boatman61 22-04-2015 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenhand (Post 1807374)
You can transmit without having access to the data yourself, as happens with an EPIRB. Is AIS considered satellite based?

No AIS then.. so likely not now.. lessens the challange.. for pussies anyway..:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Greenhand 22-04-2015 12:56

Here are the current rules. Note that they are cutting off loonies with no experience who might decide to fake the race and then jump out of their boat...

About GGR | McIntyre Adventure

thomm225 22-04-2015 15:53

Looks like Blue Water equals Full Keel/ Long Keel in this case.

No spade rudders or fin keels.

Interesting.....

cpa 22-04-2015 15:54

While the idea is great, the full keel and 34-36 foot length limit requirement seems bizarre. Especially considering that the original race had multihulls, and boats up to 66 feet. To me variety is the spice of life. It will be interesting to watch though. :thumb:

Greenhand 22-04-2015 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomm225 (Post 1807558)
Looks like Blue Water equals Full Keel/ Long Keel in this case.

No spade rudders or fin keels.

Interesting.....

It seems like a lot of their rules are pretty restrictive, given the emphasis on freedom and man against nature. Heck, the first race wasn't even entirely monohulls; those were just the ones who survived with the sailor and the boat intact.

McIntyre has suggested that it could be done for US$100k, but it seems like the required equipment list would get you pretty close to that. Just the entry fee is over US$10k.

I also love that he is going to post his budget, but if he could do it himself, but chooses to hire someone because he is so busy, he is going to post the costs of materials only. Why would another contestant be less busy than you?

zeehag 22-04-2015 16:54

i vote cf sends boaty in a cheoy lee as his wish. :whistling:
this be a good idea, phil.... beautiful boat. :smitten:

:biggrin:

barnakiel 22-04-2015 17:02

I went to Yachtworld and I found only one s/h Westsnail listed !!!!

And the asking is USD 250k. Rejoice, WS owners !!!!!!

OMG. I can see participation going over the roof !!!

Does the announcement say what the entry insurance cost is ????????

Laugh,
b.