Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Construction, Maintenance & Refit (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Restoring Interior Wood (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/restoring-interior-wood-144884.html)

gonesail 21-04-2015 18:31

Re: Restoring Interior Wood

most oil turns teak dark .. not so great. i would go with the lemon oil too. but it will never have satin finish.

Roy M 21-04-2015 19:06

Screw the oils. Look up "French Polishing" on YouTube. Wipe with a towel loaded with denatured alcohol, follow with marine varnish, dabbed onto a piece of teeshirt, wadded up, and ABRADE like hell the surface using varnish as a lubricant. Do small patches. Do it several times until it looks perfect. Forget what anyone else says, I KNOW EVERYTHING WORTHWHILE. OBEY AND BE HAPPY.

Southcoasting 22-04-2015 03:34

Thanks for the tip everyone!

I plan on cleaning and scrubbing really well...I think originally, there was oil put on.

I will first try a test area and see how it goes...I also read about Watco oil for Tartans...but I like the idea of having it be a bit clearer than darker...Would like to stick to an oil process but open to others...Not sure about the French Polishing as it looks like it leaves a shiny surface...

a64pilot 22-04-2015 05:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pegu Club (Post 1806212)
According to myth and rumor lemon oil supposedly inhibits mold growth, :)

Good, idea only being be careful what you put on doesn't grow mold, I don't know if tung oil does, linseed or what, but I've seen mold actually growing in wood, and once it starts that, I don't know how to get it out. It can't be easy

gulfstar37 22-04-2015 23:40

Murphy's oil soap does good job on annual basis to clean grime off. Don't know if same on bare wood though.

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

jkindredpdx 26-04-2015 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southcoasting (Post 1806921)
Thanks for the tip everyone!

I plan on cleaning and scrubbing really well...I think originally, there was oil put on.

I will first try a test area and see how it goes...I also read about Watco oil for Tartans...but I like the idea of having it be a bit clearer than darker...Would like to stick to an oil process but open to others...Not sure about the French Polishing as it looks like it leaves a shiny surface...

I've done a lot of furniture restoration. Clear Formby's doesn't change the color... It melts the old finish and blends dry or worn areas. It hides scratches and leaves a natural satin finish. I've used it with everything from maple to oak, cherry, mahogany, and teak. Just pour a bit on a rag and rub.

Southcoasting 27-04-2015 04:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkindredpdx (Post 1810828)
I've done a lot of furniture restoration. Clear Formby's doesn't change the color... It melts the old finish and blends dry or worn areas. It hides scratches and leaves a natural satin finish. I've used it with everything from maple to oak, cherry, mahogany, and teak. Just pour a bit on a rag and rub.

When you say clear Formby's, do you mean Formby's Tung Oil?

jkindredpdx 27-04-2015 06:54

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry. I lied, it's Howard Restor-a-Finish. But I think Formby's has something similar.
Attachment 101028

JimK