Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Monohull Sailboats (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Better to look or actually own and do? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/better-to-look-or-actually-own-and-do-142497.html)

tuffr2 08-03-2015 10:53

Better to look or actually own and do?

Ok - here goes. Have been on smallish 28' sailboats on inland lakes and really did not like it...too much healing on that size boat.

Now - as I watch sailing on youtube I am thinking I would like it. I have always liked the water. As I play scenarios through my minds eye reality sets in.

Being 'stuck' on a sailboat during a bad thunderstorm with a lot of lightning, making passages, always being tired, big water, getting beat by the sun, corrosive salt water, things breaking all the time, sinking, rudder issues, sail rips,
Watching 'All is Lost', getting rolled etc.etc.

So...better to look or actually own?

I

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

S/V Illusion 08-03-2015 11:02

Re: Better to look or actually own and do?

Isn't asking such a q on a site populated by nothing but boat owners kind of predictable?

Island Time O25 08-03-2015 11:10

As long as you have a bluewater deep fryer on board you should be allright in any storm.

onestepcsy37 08-03-2015 11:32

"It is better to travel hopefully then to arrive".

Anybody remember who wrote that?

sailorboy1 08-03-2015 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuffr2 (Post 1768955)
Being 'stuck' on a sailboat during a bad thunderstorm with a lot of lightning, making passages, always being tired, big water, getting beat by the sun, corrosive salt water, things breaking all the time, sinking, rudder issues, sail rips,

Many of us don't like a lot of those things, yet we still have boats!

Ex-Calif 08-03-2015 20:49

Quote:

So what's the bad part here?

(Oh, yeah. I remember. All is Lost sucked...)

Quote:

Now - as I watch sailing on youtube I am thinking I would like it. I have always liked the water. As I play scenarios through my minds eye reality sets in.

Just keep watching it on YouTube. It's a lot easier and it's basically the same thing as going outside... :popcorn:

PortClydeMe 08-03-2015 21:20

Quote:

Ok - here goes. Have been on smallish 28' sailboats on inland lakes and really did not like it...too much healing on that size boat.

So...better to look or actually own?

I

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

There are always two ways to approach any situation. What some might find to be a confining prison, others find to be freedom.

Three important things to think about:

1) Had Redford gone to sea in a '72 Boston Whaler he'd still be on the boat.
2) Doesn't sinking come after rudder issues and sail rips?
3) Don't pay more than 50% of a seller's asking price for your boat, because you might very well slam head-long into a wayward shipping container. :smile:

crazyoldboatguy 08-03-2015 21:58

===Ok - here goes. Have been on smallish 28' sailboats on inland lakes and really did not like it...too much healing on that size boat ===

Ok - here goes. I have been sailing on a smallish 28' sailboat on inland lakes for 52 years.

I, too, have been healed, but "too much healing"? How is that possible?

I like the idea of you watching youtube videos of other people sailing, altho you may still need a puke bucket. It's just a lot more safe to remain indoors.:thumb:

Stu Jackson 08-03-2015 22:09

How do get healed from too much heeling?

That list are the GOOD things, right?:)

StuM 09-03-2015 01:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ex-Calif (Post 1769462)

Just keep watching it on YouTube. It's a lot easier and it's basically the same thing as going outside... :popcorn:

Only if you are watching YouTube while standing under a cold shower tearing up $100 bills :)

weavis 09-03-2015 06:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuM (Post 1769597)
Only if you are watching YouTube while standing under a cold shower tearing up $100 bills :)

coffee splutter. :thumb::thumb:

crazyoldboatguy 09-03-2015 06:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuM (Post 1769597)

yep :thumb:

darylat8750 09-03-2015 07:20

Buy an RV and carry a canoe to play in the water.

oceanis393 09-03-2015 07:49

not owning a boat = A boat in port is safe, but that's not what boats are built for.

if you do not dare to sail the oceans - others will :-)

anacapaisland42 09-03-2015 07:50

Buy a Hobie 16 with trailer,
Feel the joy,
Be in the bar when the thunderstorm comes
Bill