Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Europe & Mediterranean (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Holding Tank in Spain - a Must Have? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f17/holding-tank-in-spain-a-must-have-142330.html)

rwidman 07-03-2015 09:09

Re: Holding Tank in Spain - a Must Have?

It's hard to believe that I'm seeing "potty humor" from supposedly adults.

It also appears that Europe is not as far ahead of the rest of the world as some would claim. I might expect to see turds floating in harbors off of Africa or India but not the Mediterranean, playground of the rich and famous.

Dauntlessny 07-03-2015 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by PersephoneD (Post 1766160)
We are planning to spend a couple of weeks in Spanish waters on our boat.

Read in a pilot book that the holding tank is a must have 'for Spanish flagged yachts' since 2004.

Anyone who had experience with Spanish harbours - does it mean the boats which registered in Spain, or does it include visiting boats flying Spain curtesy flag? And how strict the authorities are with the latter?

Thank you

By the way, where are you now?

I thought the holding tank thing was throughout the EU, both in terms of the law and that everyone ignores it.

Dauntlessny 07-03-2015 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwidman (Post 1767944)

It also appears that Europe is not as far ahead of the rest of the world as some would claim. I might expect to see turds floating in harbors off of Africa or India but not the Mediterranean, playground of the rich and famous.

What? Nobody ever said that they don't have macerators?

Also, being an American. I know of a lot of boats that never used their holding tank either.

conachair 07-03-2015 09:42

Quote:

About 80% of the urban sewage produced goes into the med untreated. Unfortunately many places will have a mass of mullet feeding on an outlet round the corner from a lovely beach. So not ideal, but a bit of poo feeding the fish in an anchorage is a bit low down the ladder.

Africa has about 2,000 miles of Med coastline. Not the cleanest sea in the world :(

Polux 07-03-2015 11:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by conachair (Post 1767972)
About 80% of the urban sewage produced goes into the med untreated. ...

Can you support that with facts? That seems to me an extraordinary claim. I believe the 80% may be possible on the North coast of Africa (and even so I have doubts regarding that number) but on the more populated European coast, where almost all sailboats are, urban sewage is treated.

conachair 07-03-2015 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polux (Post 1768039)
Can you support that with facts? That seems to me an extraordinary claim. I believe the 80% may be possible on the North coast of Africa (and even so I have doubts regarding that number) but on the more populated European coast, where almost all sailboats are, urban sewage is treated.

It's quite easy these days to do some research on your own..
Let me google that for you

United nations source.
Quote:

Some 48% of urban centres lack sewage treatment facilities and around 80% of wastewater is disposed of in the sea untreated, which means that a load of more than 3 billion cubic metres of untreated waters enters the sea every year.
UNEP / MAP - United Nations Environment Programme - Mediterranean Action Plan

Quote:

on the more populated European coast, where almost all sailboats are, urban sewage is treated.
Source?

boatman61 07-03-2015 11:52

There's them that live with Delusion...:whistling:
Then there's them that live with reality..:biggrin:

boatman61 07-03-2015 11:56

Quote:

A harbour usually means a marina.. with the shoreside facilities..
On the hook is something else.. bag the paper.. flush the turd.. its broken up on the way through so basically fish food thats sunk or disapatted before its gone 20feet...
If your seeing floating turds anchored of a beach.. they've come from the beach...
Sigh... so many living in a wonderland...:rolleyes:

NornaBiron 07-03-2015 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 1768091)
A harbour usually means a marina.. with the shoreside facilities..
On the hook is something else.. bag the paper.. flush the turd.. its broken up on the way through so basically fish food thats sunk or disapatted before its gone 20feet...
If your seeing floating turds anchored of a beach.. they've come from the beach...
Sigh... so many living in a wonderland...:rolleyes:

Common sense prevails :whistling:

rwidman 07-03-2015 12:07

Now I understand the meaning of the term "Third World Country".

NornaBiron 07-03-2015 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwidman (Post 1768107)

Nope, the Med doesn't come close - you need to come to Egypt for that!

boatman61 07-03-2015 12:20

Quote:

Funny you should say that... don't know many Third World countries that use angle iron for their traffic lights the way you guys do..
My... was my time in the States ever an eye opener.. aint nothing there for you to get superior about...:biggrin:

Kenomac 07-03-2015 13:01

Quote:

So now we are to believe the Carolinas are Old World civilized and the rest of us here in the Med are Third world. Kinda sounds a bit bass-ackwards and delusional. You might want to come over without the attitude and see for yourself before being so judgmental.

weavis 07-03-2015 13:33

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenomac (Post 1768173)
So now we are to believe the Carolinas are Old World civilized and the rest of us here in the Med are Third world. Kinda sounds a bit bass-ackwards and delusional. You might want to come over without the attitude and see for yourself before being so judgmental.

Actually, I think you would be doing us all a favour Ron Widman if you stayed away from the Med. Leave us and the turds alone. :flowers:

Oh..... and for a person who has lamented the lack of manners and rudeness on C.F., I might just point out that the reflection you gaze lovingly at in the mirror every day, might just be tarred with the same brush. Welcome to the Human race, sans turds of course. :thumb:

weavis 07-03-2015 13:39

Raw sewage bacterial outfall Myrtle Beach...... S.C.

NRDC ranked South Carolina 24th in Beachwater Quality (out of 30 states). 15% of samples exceeded EPA's new BAV standards for designated beach areas in 2013.

Not good.

https://www.beachapedia.org/images/th...r_outfall.jpeg