Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Monohull Sailboats (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Anchor and Chain (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/anchor-and-chain-139568.html)

beachgirl9227 13-01-2015 12:20

Anchor and Chain

We are new to the sailing world, we have a 37ft Hunter and our anchor broke and we lost the anchor and chain. We are in the New Orleans area is there anywhere to buy used anchors and chains? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

a64pilot 13-01-2015 12:51

Re: anchor and chain

Sorry I can't help, I'm posting more than anything to bump your request to the top

beachgirl9227 13-01-2015 12:53

thank you. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated

JPA Cate 13-01-2015 13:00

Beachgirl9227,

I'll assume that you are safely tied up in a marina somewhere. Suggest you do a yellow pages search on chandleries centered about the area where you are. Then phone to see what they have in stock.

There are *too many* anchor threads already on CF, but if you do an advanced Google search, through this forum (click on Search, then go down the menu to the adv. G. search), you'll be able to learn all you want to know about anchors and anchoring. There's even one on bent anchors.

Another option is to order an anchor shipped to you. They're heavy, so it's expensive to do that, try and find out who is closest. You also need chain. There are articles here which discuss what kind and what strength you need. It's not okay to use farm chain, you need it to be galvanized (more discussion).

Good luck with it.

Ann - from the other side of the world.

beachgirl9227 13-01-2015 13:03

yes we are in a marina in St. Pete Beach in Florida, Thanks for you help will try that

Greenhand 13-01-2015 13:03

Google shows this is Houston: Anchor Marine Houston | Anchor Marine

Shrew 13-01-2015 13:25

Not many options for 'Used' Anchors and anchor chain out there. I don't recall ever seeing a chandlery accept an anchor in trade or selling used anchors.

About your only option for used would be Craig's List of eBay. However, do you REALLY want to install someone's used chain and anchor?

beachgirl9227 13-01-2015 13:30

Shrew what anchor would you recommend for a 37 ft Hunter

Ocean Girl 13-01-2015 13:36

It is a little big for you but Craig's list has a fortress 37
anchor fortress fx- 37

Can look around Craig's list some more, I just did a quick search. Also ask around for a boaters resale shop. You should have no trouble finding a used Danforth, Bruce etc since everyone is switching over to the new generation anchors. I'd get new rode imo. Unless you can find some good looking acco chain, it might be worth getting as much chain as you can afford and add line rode.
Good luck. We are behind you, in NOLA now, heading for bahamas.
Erika

Ocean Girl 13-01-2015 13:37

The fortress 37 can turn into your storm anchor when you find the right working anchor for your vessel...

44'cruisingcat 13-01-2015 14:07

If you have an anchor windlass, make sure the chain you buy is suited to it. Short link chain, usually. Some chain suppliers may ask to see your windlass' gypsy.

Or if you want to switch to bigger chain, you'll also need to buy a matching gypsy for the windlass.

SailRedemption 13-01-2015 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachgirl9227 (Post 1723906)
thank you. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated

Hey I'm from the New Orleans area.. We used to own a marina/boatyard until last summer. I probably have an anchor you can buy that would fit your boat.. Have some Danforth type, a Bruce type(not sure if it's an original), and I have a CQR which may be too big for your boat. Just let me know. Are you in NOLA for a while or just for the day/week and heading back to FL?

My captain gets anchors all the time in Pensacola diving, may have something your size for a good price.. Message me on here or just reply on the thread.

- Ronnie...on the geaux

beachgirl9227 14-01-2015 06:49

Sail Redemption yes we are interested please contact me I also sent a you a message,

Thanks again for your help

autumnbreeze27 14-01-2015 07:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrew (Post 1723937)
Not many options for 'Used' Anchors and anchor chain out there. I don't recall ever seeing a chandlery accept an anchor in trade or selling used anchors.

About your only option for used would be Craig's List of eBay. However, do you REALLY want to install someone's used chain and anchor?

Wow I've never seen a chandlery that didn't have a huge pile of used anchors in socal

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

gjordan 14-01-2015 10:52

Post 5 says the boat is in Florida. I thought Florida had a number of used gear shops/ marine wrecking yards???? Take your gypsy with you if you are going to buy chain (new or used). Good Luck. _____Grant.