Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Ccarbon Monoxide as a Sleep Aid? (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/ccarbon-monoxide-as-a-sleep-aid-138183.html)

SlugmasterP 16-12-2014 23:35

Ccarbon Monoxide as a Sleep Aid?

I just started living aboard a few weeks ago and I've always have had trouble falling asleep. Recently here in southern California we've had some rain and cold temperatures so I've kept the boat shut up at night. I've found that if I run the stove awhile at night I'll get groggy and as long as I stay standing and not lie down I have enough time to shut the stove off and open a port light before I pass out. I sleep great and I don't need my Ambien anymore.

Steadman Uhlich 16-12-2014 23:51

Re: carbon monoxide as a sleep aid?

Too much and you will experience the Big Sleep!

I suggest you keep a port open, install dorades if worried about rain, AND get a carbon monoxide alarm/detector ASAP.

clownfishsydney 16-12-2014 23:54

Not a very smart way to get to sleep. I think sleeping tablets might be a tad safer.

StuM 17-12-2014 00:03

R.I.P.

Reefmagnet 17-12-2014 01:48

That's nuts!

redpointist 17-12-2014 03:45

Even if you don't expose yourself to enough CO to kill you in one sitting, the effects can accumulate and seriously affect your health!

"Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur suddenly or over a long period of time. Breathing low levels of carbon monoxide over a long period can cause severe heart problems and brain damage."

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning-Topic Overview

AfterHoursNLCT 17-12-2014 04:14

Must be a reason why you live in "Terminal" Island...

sailorboy1 17-12-2014 04:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlugmasterP (Post 1701577)
I just started living aboard a few weeks ago and I've always have had trouble falling asleep. Recently here in southern California we've had some rain and cold temperatures so I've kept the boat shut up at night. I've found that if I run the stove awhile at night I'll get groggy and as long as I stay standing and not lie down I have enough time to shut the stove off and open a port light before I pass out. I sleep great and I don't need my Ambien anymore.

whatever :nonono:

do you have a CO2 detector on the boat

a64pilot 17-12-2014 05:17

I doubt it's CO that 's doing it, effects of CO are unpleasant, fatigue, headaches, racing heart beat etc. If CO puts you to sleep it's doubtful you wake up feeling rested and fresh, more likely you wake up with a raging headache and fatigued.

I sleep great listening to the rain on the cabin roof, used to sleep great as a kid under a tin roof with the rain beating down.

zeehag 17-12-2014 07:03

open a port.
co is cumulative and does not completely dissipate from your hemoglobin(red blood cells) be careful or you will wake up in the morgue. dead.
enjoy.

rwidman 17-12-2014 08:06

I'm hoping this post is a joke. What you claim to be doing is pretty stupid. If this is not a joke, I suggest seeing a doctor ASAP. Tell him or her what you've posted here. Get yourself tested for GO poisoning and get some help with your sleeping problem.

boat_alexandra 17-12-2014 08:48

I heard about a guy they found a month later because he ran his generator inside the boat to commit suicide.

accomplice 17-12-2014 09:02

I had mild CO poisoning years ago and experienced the sleepiness without the headache. Fortunately, we got out into fresh air before we fell asleep forever.

If you suspect CO, I suggest seeing a doctor immediately -- they can easily test you, and if you have high levels of CO can administer O2 to help reduce. I also advise installing a CO detector (or a few of them).

captainbri 17-12-2014 09:13

You are starving your brain of oxygen plus putting poison in your system. Try something like ambien. Ive taken it a couple of times and wow the difference I felt after real sleep.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

captainbri 17-12-2014 09:17

If you are a chiropractor you went to medical school and should know whst you are doing is more than dangerous

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app