Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Cheaper marina near Whitsundays (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/cheaper-marina-near-whitsundays-137122.html)

ludo_fra 27-11-2014 02:17

Cheaper marina near Whitsundays

Hello,
i have a project to buy a boat and stay few months on East coast, near Whitsundays.
Do you know if it exists a cheap marina who allowed to live aboard ?

Thank's

giant 27-11-2014 03:06

Re: Cheaper marina near Whitsundays

Laguna Quays Marina.

Enter/exit at high tide and some berths may see your keel resting in the mud.

Haven't been there for a few years.

ludo_fra 27-11-2014 03:22

Thank's.
Maybe there are moorings (no berth), who are cheaper ?

savoir 27-11-2014 03:32

This place used to be cheaper than Airlie Beach because it is a bit out of town and further from the Whitsundays. Has any one been there recently ?

Welcome

2Wind 27-11-2014 03:47

Mackay Marina is somewhat cheaper than Airlie Beach, but nowhere is "cheap"!

Reefmagnet 27-11-2014 03:53

If you want to rent a mooring around Airlie or Shute for about $50 p/w, let me know and I'll pm you the details of a guy that rents them. If you want to stick it on the hard, let me know and I'll pm you the details for liveaboard hardstand for around $4 ft/wk + liftout.

And forget about Laguna keys Marina. It's miles from anywhere, except for a general store and pub and the marina is now totally silted.

p.s. there's also plenty of places to anchor for free around the Whitsundays as well, including close to services.

D&D 27-11-2014 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by savoir (Post 1687269)
This place used to be cheaper than Airlie Beach because it is a bit out of town and further from the Whitsundays. Has any one been there recently ?

Welcome

We were at Mackay Marina in August. It was a nice, well-maintained spot with friendly staff; great laundry setup; a few handy comforts and services; and easy public transport into town. The big tides made for some interesting climbs up (or potential falls down!) the ramp between the pontoons and shore.

As 2Wind notes, however, nowhere is cheap! :banghead:

goodoldwoody 27-11-2014 15:36

Hi, Bowen Boat Harbour has pile berths that are reasonably priced. All of the facilities of a large country town are close by and in easy walking distance. Prices for everyday shopping are realistic. Being at the very top of the Whitsundays though may be a bit out of the way. The people are great too, they seem to be really keen fishermen. I'm heading there again sooner or later.

JPA Cate 29-11-2014 16:44

Ludo,

It is possible to live aboard at anchor there, near Airlie Beach. You'll need to seek out anchorages for different conditions, and be advised cyclone season is coming up soon.