Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Navigation (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Best time to sail south from NY (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f121/best-time-to-sail-south-from-ny-132471.html)

eugenesdream 09-09-2014 09:17

Best time to sail south from NY

Hey everyone, I am here to post a pretty broad yet basic question.

I am planning a passage south from NY to FL at the end of hurricane season, end of November.

I have been doing a lot of research about best practices, places to stay, places to avoid. So of course Hatteras comes up in conversation. From reading around what people say about passing Hatteras is, don't go too late (past Nov 15) because it can get rough and even experienced sailors have had major problems there.

So my question is basically this, when is the best time to sail south, ideal date to leave before, and do you go offshore or keep it tight.

I appreciate all thoughts and comments.

marlinmike 09-09-2014 10:32

Re: Best time to sail south from NY

Personally I would prefer earlier then later, meaning end of September to mid October. The weather really starts winding up ladder part of October (after 20 years of offshore fishing I can attest to this), not sure you really need to be past a certain date line for hurricanes in the fall, yes Sandy, but you know what I mean.

As far as Hatteras I would go into Norfolk and take the back way jumping out by Morehead City NC.

eugenesdream 09-09-2014 10:42

Thanks MarlinMike, I am thinking I am going to leave south shore of Long Island when I originally planned to, try to cut into Pamlico Sound as far north as I can find an inlet, stay around Oriental NC for awhile, and eventually follow your idea headed south to FL. If the winter weather is not that bad, I may even cut the itinerary short and stay in NC / SC. We'll let weather guide my decisions. I'm just trying to avoid another NY winter!

btrayfors 09-09-2014 11:32

eugenesdream,

Easy peasy. Dozens of boats are doing it...right now!

Get your boat to Atlantic Highlands (Sandy Hook). Wait for a weather window to come down the NJ coast. There are several good inlets along the way if you have to stop....Barnegat Bay, Abescon (Atlantic City), Cape May.

Go on up Delaware Bay and the Delaware River to the C&D Canal, taking you into the northern Chesapeake. Take your time and enjoy the Bay....there are dozens of wonderful and safe places to visit.

Then, when you're ready (and before Thanksgiving) head on south from Norfolk via the ICW to Beaufort NC. From there you can jump outside if you like, or continue on down the ICW.

You'll find plenty of boats doing the same thing. There'll be plenty of company and chances to compare notes.

Bill
s/v Born Free

MarkJ 09-09-2014 11:38

The best time to leave NYC to head south:

I was there at 79th st Boat Basin and one day, a Monday, all the ducks had disappeared. I asked the marina where they had gone and he said: They've all flown south for the winter.
I said; Well I better go!!!!!!!!
He said, Nay, theres plenty of warm weeks to go.
2 days later all the Geese had disappeared!
Nah, said the marina guy. Plenty of time left.
I left the next day, the 18th of September and that was the LAST weather window of good weather to do NYC to Norfolk.

So don't listen to people. Watch nature!

eugenesdream 09-09-2014 11:42

Seems like the best I am going to be able to do is end of November, so I am hoping the weather will let me get to Norfolk with no issues.

eugenesdream 09-09-2014 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by btrayfors (Post 1624398)
eugenesdream,

Easy peasy. Dozens of boats are doing it...right now!

Get your boat to Atlantic Highlands (Sandy Hook). Wait for a weather window to come down the NJ coast. There are several good inlets along the way if you have to stop....Barnegat Bay, Abescon (Atlantic City), Cape May.

Go on up Delaware Bay and the Delaware River to the C&D Canal, taking you into the northern Chesapeake. Take your time and enjoy the Bay....there are dozens of wonderful and safe places to visit.

Then, when you're ready (and before Thanksgiving) head on south from Norfolk via the ICW to Beaufort NC. From there you can jump outside if you like, or continue on down the ICW.

You'll find plenty of boats doing the same thing. There'll be plenty of company and chances to compare notes.

Bill
s/v Born Free

I am going to do everything you have noted pretty closely, but unfortunately it is going to be a bit later then Thanksgiving. Wish me luck.

btrayfors 09-09-2014 19:44

OK, but go as early as you possibly can.

In 1989 I left Washington DC the day after Thanksgiving headed for Florida. Brushed 8" of snow off my decks as I left, and the further south I went the worse it got.

Worst day of all was in St. Augustine! Yes, in Florida! Blowing a full gale, 26 degrees Fahrenheit, and an ice storm! They closed I95 for two days in Florida because the bridges were iced and frozen.

That was the worst I've ever heard of.

Most years it's cold but do-able.

Good luck,

Bill

GordMay 10-09-2014 04:27

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Eugene.

rhhmadry 10-09-2014 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by eugenesdream (Post 1624403)
I am going to do everything you have noted pretty closely, but unfortunately it is going to be a bit later then Thanksgiving. Wish me luck.

Excellent advice, except that Beaufort/Morehead City North Carolina is light years better than Oriental. Excellent restaurants, better wind and water.

savoir 10-09-2014 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkJ (Post 1624400)
The best time to leave NYC to head south:

I was there at 79th st Boat Basin and one day, a Monday, all the ducks had disappeared. I asked the marina where they had gone and he said: They've all flown south for the winter.
I said; Well I better go!!!!!!!!
He said, Nay, theres plenty of warm weeks to go.
2 days later all the Geese had disappeared!
Nah, said the marina guy. Plenty of time left.
I left the next day, the 18th of September and that was the LAST weather window of good weather to do NYC to Norfolk.

So don't listen to people. Watch nature!

Another proof of the old saying

" Duck off before you get goosed "

accomplice 10-09-2014 18:46

Are you leaving so late because you're waiting for the end of hurricane season? If that is the only reason you're delaying, I would suggest leaving now and paying attention to the weather -- you'll get days to get yourself to a hurricane hole should one come along.

If your insurance is barring you until after hurricane season, as many do, does it draw a line (30.5degrees? St. Mary's, Georgia?) If so, I suggest you go down to just north of the line and wait for the date. You can probably call your insurance company a few days before the date (usually 1 Nov) and if the forecast is clear for the next week they'll give you a go-ahead.

Best of luck.

Either way, good luck.

My_Breakaway 17-01-2021 12:12

Iím closing on a house in South Carolina February 10th. I have to be out of my slip in NYC by May 1. Any thoughts on what type of weather Iíll get in April going south in my C&C 37?

hpeer 17-01-2021 13:03

2016 we left Delaware on April 2 in t shirt and tank top. 2 days later we had on cold water flotation suits and were damn glad of them. We holed up in the Solomons for a bit then pilled into Deltaville on a nice spring day. The next morning a front came through, knocked down some signs and it snowed and hailed all day. No meaningfully accumulation.

So that kind of sums it up.

GreenWave 17-01-2021 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by btrayfors (Post 1624670)
OK, but go as early as you possibly can.

In 1989 I left Washington DC the day after Thanksgiving headed for Florida. Brushed 8" of snow off my decks as I left, and the further south I went the worse it got.

Worst day of all was in St. Augustine! Yes, in Florida! Blowing a full gale, 26 degrees Fahrenheit, and an ice storm! They closed I95 for two days in Florida because the bridges were iced and frozen.

That was the worst I've ever heard of.

Most years it's cold but do-able.

Good luck,

Bill

HA! Just read this and I drove south on 95 from NC to St Pete florida during that storm. Took 20+ hours and the ice on some parts of 95 was 2 inches thick.