Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Monohull Sailboats (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Out Shopping (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/out-shopping-131475.html)

Panamax. 22-08-2014 05:37

Out Shopping

Well, today is our first big boat shopping day in some time....too busy prepping for a wedding at the house. We think we'll hit Anacortes, WA. If anyone sees anything interesting there that we should see, please shoot me a note! As fall approaches, inventory increases and prices are dropping. Still time for some decent Indian Summer sailing! Wish us luck!

P.S. 30-38 foot cruiser is the objective for Puget Sound sailing and short cruises North.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Panamax. 22-08-2014 18:31

Re: Out Shopping

Not too successful today. Found a decent Hunter 33 but not quite right. Found a Cat 350 but the salesman admitted that the seller was $20k too high and would not budge on the price. We were then directed to a 31ft Pacific Seacraft that we absolutely loved!.....until another salesman informed us that it had sold the previous day. Ugh. More looking tomorrow....

bensolomon 22-08-2014 19:51

Panamax,

I have read about the Dana models built by pacific sea craft. Pacific sea craft are solid boats from what I have read about them. Good luck!!

Ben

Ben Solomon
S/V Dawn 1989 37.5 hunter legend

Panamax. 24-08-2014 06:48

Shopping complete and I have come to one, and only one conclusion, "My dream shall be hers."

Fiveslide 24-08-2014 06:55

What boat did she pick?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Captrhino 24-08-2014 11:19

Which one did you end up with?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

monte 24-08-2014 11:32

20k too high...nice broker, glad he's not on my side!

Cheechako 24-08-2014 12:19

Have you seen this one? I know nuttin about it... just saw it on CL. A touch big maybe. 40' Sailboat, Perfect Pacific NW/Alaska Cruiser

Cheechako 25-08-2014 10:45

There's a Sparkman and Stevens Catalina 38 on Ebay currently at about $11k with a $24k buy it now. Low hours Kubota diesel.
The rub is it's in BC Canada... not sure how to import but I get the impression it's not to tough on boats.

Panamax. 25-08-2014 16:37

Thanks for the pointers! The search continues for just the right boat for my wife.

Panamax. 25-08-2014 16:58

She really likes the Hunter 36. 2010 model so quite new and well equipped. Problem is that just before we saw that, the broker showed us a 1991 Pacific Seacraft 38. The craftsmanship, stout build, and "brass everywhere" construction make the Hunter look like a Bayliner. How does one justify a spring clip holding a compartment closed vs a heavy gauge, purpose built, brass latch? Another comparison...companion way door consists of four 1/2" slats of teak on the PS. On the Hunter it was a bifold 1/8 inch teak POS. Heck, it was already warping. "...but Sweetheart, look at all the room!"

Panamax. 25-08-2014 16:59

Obviously, I will now be buying the Hunter. Any experience with these?

Strait Shooter 25-08-2014 17:46

Out Shopping

Buy the Pacific Seacraft and dump the wife.

sbrin 25-08-2014 17:57

Ah, patience is your friend. Don't jump at the hunter. You can see the quality differences already and you will be sailing her for a long time. Teach your bride and she will soon be a knowledgable partner in your search. Good luck!

Panamax. 25-08-2014 18:02

I was wondering...if Winnebago would just build a boat, I would have exactly what she wants!